Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#474060 11/05/02 09:44 PM
M
morten Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
OK. Here's my problem. Just bought a new (used) 99 CSVT. When I drive under normal traffic conditions I find the car builds up inexplicable amounts of speed. My previous cars just moved along in traffic, staying politely behind other vehicles. My CSVT won't. Even mild pressure on the gas pedal causes a strange amount of acceleration accompanied by a rather loud and constant growling noise under the hood. This in turn causes me to weave back and forth as other vehicles get in my way. (BTW - the problem seems to be worse in long corners). I find that light pressure on the gas pedal will help, but only for a block or two. Then, sure enough, that growling noise comes back, and the car reverts back to higher than reasonable speeds.

My speedometre often reads WELL above the posted speed limit. Last week, this caused my wife to receive a very large speeding ticket. We tried to explain to the officer the nature of the defect, but he wasn't mechanically savvy. I've asked a local kid who owns a Honda for his advice. But he's not familiar with this problem.

Any advice?

99 Black/Tan CSVT # 1070 of 2760 Stock with K&N Drop in
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S

'99 Silver Frost.SE.V6.MTX Drop-in K&N / Masked rear Reflector st200/Eibach / SVT E1's FMS Wires / ES Rear Bushings
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I'm no expert, but I'd guess that maybe your throttle cable is sticking.

I think there was a TSB or recall for some model years.

Hopefully someone more mechanically savvy can shed some light on this.

Otherwise, I get a little of this as well on occasion - lift off the throttle in gear, and instead of the revs dropping right away, the car will linger, maybe even pick up a little bit more speed before the revs drops.

Pretty sure that it's just good old Duratec throttle hang.

Good luck!

98 SVT Contour #1702 (silver) - traded in & missed alot! 02 SVT Focus #2686 (blue) - beginning to enjoy the 4-banger.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I think the only thing to solve his 'problem' is to drain all of the fuel from the tank.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
There is no cure.

You can try that long horitontal pedal between the gas and the clutch pedals, but I hear that causes unnecessary wear on the "brake pad" and "rotor" components.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
There is one cure for it....get rid of it and get a SLOW honda civic ricer...then you wont have these "problems"

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
M
morten Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Throttle hang huh??

OK, um, I'll look into that right away!!

99 Black/Tan CSVT # 1070 of 2760 Stock with K&N Drop in
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by JonGordo8:
There is one cure for it....get rid of it and get a SLOW honda civic ricer...then you wont have these "problems"

Solution not acceptable. Please submit another suggestion.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

I've asked a local kid who owns a Honda for his advice. But he's not familiar with this problem.

ROFLMAO

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
ive found the best solution to your problem- and its a perfect way to solve your prob. Take your new CSVT and turn right at a high rate of speed for a long time, I guarentee that this will solve your problem- if you dont trust me ask a few others Ive heard it worked for them as well.

Tea 82 242Ti Proud former owner - Samantha '98 SVT #2253 Reborn Aug 21 2002 Cobra Paradise
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard