Print Thread
#473388 11/04/02 04:57 PM
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Blah - my car is such a headache! Man, if I didn't love it so much I'd hate it.

Anyway - does the clutch interlock have any electrical connection that is dependant on the shifter? Last night I stop at the ATM to get cash, hop back in the car and try to start it and get nothing. Try twice more and nothing. Turn on lights (nice and bright) turn key and they don't dim at all. I reach down and "wiggle" the wire connector off the top of the clutch pedal thinking that might be where the interlock routes through, turn the key and nothing. Then just randomly futzzing around I shift into a different gear and crank the steering wheel 1/4 turn and she starts up like nothing happened. Hasn't repeated since - anyone have any insight other than "electrical gremlins"?

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
CEG\'er
CEG\'er

R.I.P. 05/06/2004 106K
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
there is a clutch position switch, if the clutch isn't down, then the car won't start..it's possible it's gone bad.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by 95-gl-v6-4disc:

Please let me know if you ever get your's figured out:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=39368&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Mine wouldn't even crank - that's why I was wondering about the clutch interlock switch. Just seemed weird that it wouldn't start for like 10 tries and then started perfectl after shifting to a new gear (I don't think the clutch switch has anything to do with MTX shifter position).

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
L
L
I have a 95 Contour GL, V6, auto, 55K miles. I do not think that I have clutch, but my car today has the same problem as you have.
Without any warning sign, my Contour this morning did not do any thing when I turned the key. I can not even hear the cranking of the starter. The battery is good, since the headlight is bright. Two warning lights stayed on, one is "Check Engine", the other is "Oil Pressure". Sometime "Battery" light would come on for a while. I checked the oil level. It is at maximum level. I made sure that the gear shifter is in the Parking position. And I could not press down the gear shifter button, so there is no way for me to shift gear to another level.
Has anybody repaired this problem in any car shop? What is the cause? How feasible it is to fix such kind of problem by ourselves?
I do not want to go bankrupt by maintaining a shoddy car like my high-performance Contour. But if I had bought a Toyota or Honda at 1995, I would have gone bankruptcy at that time. Anybody has a suggestion on when to give up Contour, and at what sign?
I have already planned to buy a Honda Oddyssey within two years, and another sedan like Camry, Lexus, or Audi to replace this Contour within five years.

S
ScottK Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
You picked a good day to ddig up this post

Look down one post at my current situation.

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by leizhang:
I have a 95 Contour GL, V6, auto, 55K miles. I do not think that I have clutch, but my car today has the same problem as you have.
Without any warning sign, my Contour this morning did not do any thing when I turned the key. I can not even hear the cranking of the starter. The battery is good, since the headlight is bright. Two warning lights stayed on, one is "Check Engine", the other is "Oil Pressure". Sometime "Battery" light would come on for a while. I checked the oil level. It is at maximum level. I made sure that the gear shifter is in the Parking position. And I could not press down the gear shifter button, so there is no way for me to shift gear to another level.
Has anybody repaired this problem in any car shop? What is the cause? How feasible it is to fix such kind of problem by ourselves?
I do not want to go bankrupt by maintaining a shoddy car like my high-performance Contour. But if I had bought a Toyota or Honda at 1995, I would have gone bankruptcy at that time. Anybody has a suggestion on when to give up Contour, and at what sign?
I have already planned to buy a Honda Oddyssey within two years, and another sedan like Camry, Lexus, or Audi to replace this Contour within five years.

Well I am working on Scotts problem right now in a neighboring post. If you have a voltmeter we can trouble dhoot your car as well!

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard