Page 1 of 2 1 2
#472914 11/03/02 05:17 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
SCCA Formula

Check out this new SCCA class (actually two new classes)

I'm hoping to put a team together possibly for next year for the Formula class. I have a car dealership to operate out of as a prime sponsor, and hope to get other sponsors as well.

Looks like this thing would be a hoot to drive.....

98 SVT T-Red. 17" Borbets w/GY Eagle F1 GS-D3's, Koni/Eibach setup, urethane suspension bushings. Aussie Bar. Battery in trunk, open K&N Filter. B&M Shifter. Gauge pod w/ volts, oil pressure, oil temp. Sparco drivers seat, Schroth harness belt
#472915 11/03/02 07:00 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Generally if you are new to racing that might be a big step. There are so many variables with those cars that a new racer will be way over his head in setup. Plus, each corner in those cars costs about $6,000, so if you bend it, you will pay quite a bit. I would love to drive one of those, but those are the reasons that have kept me away. I stick with user friendly IT cars.

98 3.0 svt: Sold
#472916 11/04/02 03:52 AM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Nobody ever said racing was cheap. Wouldn't do this unless I had the financial backing of sponsors. In addition to the car dealership as prime sponsor, I own a construction company, which would sponsor (tax writeoff), plus subcontractors and suppliers as other sponsors.

Let's see, Ferrari F1 team budget is about 230 mil a year. That's more than the Yankees.......

98 SVT T-Red. 17" Borbets w/GY Eagle F1 GS-D3's, Koni/Eibach setup, urethane suspension bushings. Aussie Bar. Battery in trunk, open K&N Filter. B&M Shifter. Gauge pod w/ volts, oil pressure, oil temp. Sparco drivers seat, Schroth harness belt
#472917 11/05/02 06:40 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
2.3L 140 hp sounds like the new Duratec all aluminum four.
No idea as to what it is called over here.
looks like cheap racing... relatively speaking.
Van diemen on it's way back.

#472918 11/06/02 08:38 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I've been looking into sport racers for quite some time now and this definitely caught my attention. I like how they hope to eventually grow it into it's own class instead of sticking them in CSR where they'll get slaughtered. DSR is where I'd love to race but Radical and Cheetah (the chassis to beat) cost some serious cash. The Stohr is a very interesting and promising car, but again it is $50k by the time you buy spares. Diasio makes an extremely solid, closed-top, Porsche look-alike for around $30k, but it is very overweight and the solid rear axle doesn't help in a world of IRS. Then there is Spec Racer Ford. Yawn. Talk about a class in need of a makeover. My theory is that in order to really be successful you have to want to work on the car--a lot--and it would be so difficult to get excited to work on that archaic piece. It is about time for some new blood in SCCA. BTW, has anyone check out the new Formula Mazda specs????

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
#472919 11/07/02 12:12 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I agree about the new blood, its just that tried and true dominates. A good option might be a car called the jedi, very quick cars, they are always at least a few sec. a lap faster than the fc's and cost only 15,000. A guy at my track is in charge of their distribution in north america. The only specs thaat i know of is a 180hp motorcycle engine. Right now i'm just seeking out good competition, so next year or the year after i will probably move to f500.

#472920 11/07/02 12:29 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Another class started within the past couple of years is Miata Spec. From what I've heard, this class has become very popular. If you can find a stocker at a reasonable price (not easy to do) and do the allowed mods, you can probably put something on the track for about $ 8-10,000.
Biggest single expense here is new suspension package for about a $ 1000.

Anyone know anything more about this class?

#472921 11/07/02 07:34 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Allyn48:
Another class started within the past couple of years is Miata Spec. From what I've heard, this class has become very popular. If you can find a stocker at a reasonable price (not easy to do) and do the allowed mods, you can probably put something on the track for about $ 8-10,000.
Biggest single expense here is new suspension package for about a $ 1000.

Anyone know anything more about this class?

Looked into this too and in theory it is a great class--though not for everyone. They force you to run a hardtop and if you're 6' or over you can forget about it. Sure you might fit in a street Miata, but slap on a helmet, put in a safety cage, and your head is bangin on something. Factor in the two inches recommended between your noggin and the roof...well just do the math. Their reasoning for running a hardtop is bogus. A well designed cage and arm restraints are used everywhere, why not in SM? Though if you are a petite little guy (or gal) SM is an excellent place to start racing. It is cheap, and the car counts are insane.

Last edited by bigMoneyRacing; 11/07/02 07:36 PM.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
#472922 11/07/02 11:42 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Yea the miatas are really appealing (i dont have to worry about size restraints) becuase they now are able to run spec miata as a unit under pro miata, which for younger drivers can be a great way to prove theirself against a reasonably level playing field and step up to better competition as they get more experienced. This also happens to be something that i am considering. FYI i believe its better to buy a car pre built, it will save you a ton of setup issues, and a lot of problem areas have already been attended to. Also a well built spec miata will only run $5,000 new.

#472923 11/08/02 12:35 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
As I'm 5'7", #155 the size issue in a Miata wouldn't be a problem for me.

Every SCCA region requires a hardtop in this class except for the Rocky Mountain region (where I am at). From what I hear, most guys runs with tops here anyway because aerodynamically they run faster. (Weight no issue since you have a minimum weight anyway.)

Also, I think it's going to cost more than $ 5,000 to have a race prepared Miata. I keep checking the papers, etc., and you can hardly find any stock Miata (even 92's to 94's) for less than $3000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard