Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#470561 10/30/02 02:02 PM
T
OP Offline
T
have 98 contour se that will not start with 36500 miles on it,the car was drove 7 hour before this and ran fine,after a few times not starting I held the gas peddle down and I didn't smell any gas it should have flooded,I heard the fuel pump kick on then a few seconds later a thumping sound from the fuel pump.Anyone else had these problems before,thanks for any help.

#470562 11/01/02 05:53 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Holding the pedal down while cranking a SEFI engine is only useful for clearing a flooded engine. If you have not had it looked at yet, check for the presence of fuel pressure at the schrader valve next to the throttle body (just key on, not cranking) to tell if the fuel pump is still working.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
#470563 11/01/02 01:04 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
My wifes car sometimes on cold mornings doesn't start. I am pretty sure it is the IAC. Was this start after a cold night or a long period of time. Instead of holding the peddle all the way down just hold it down a little bit so it lets in a little air and you don't end up flooding the engine. After a short period of holding it your self it should smooth out and the IAC comes back to working. I hope this is your problem. The thumping could have just been the pumping shutting off on key up. If you don't start the car the pump will shut off after a few seconds.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard