Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
My 95 Contour with a 4 cyl idles fine, but upon acceleration it misses, coughs, sputters, etc. At certain speeds it runs fine. When it is between 60 and 65 mph it starts bucking and surging. If you speed up or slow down slightly it runs better. It doesn't accelerate very well. The check engine light has NOT come on. This started as an intermittent problem, but has turned into a constant problem.

I recently cleaned the MAF sensor. About 6 months ago I replaced the plugs, fuel filter, and O2 sensor. It was running bad then and had several codes displayed on the check engine light. I also cleaned the MAF sensor then too. I checked the EGR valve. It is working and the ports are clear.

Any ideas on what is wrong?
Thanks,
Mike

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
had a similar problem where the car idled fine but when you tried to rev it it sputtered and wouldn't excelerate well. new plug wires fixed the problem, after 109k the originals went bad

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Similar to the problem I'm having. Over time I've replaced plugs, plug wires and fuel filter, plus ran plenty of injector cleaner through the system and started running only Chevron gas.

The problem is subsiding. I don't get any bucking or loss of power anymore. I do, however, still have hesitation if it's idling and I stab the gas (only not as bad as before, thank goodness).

Good luck. It seems these symptoms can be the result of several different items.

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Yes, if you still have the original plug wires, replace them and not with cheap ones.

Check your TPS (Throttle position sensor)it can cause that.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Yes, if you still have the original plug wires, replace them and not with cheap ones.

Check your TPS (Throttle position sensor)it can cause that.

tryed that and it didn't do anything, from asking around before it is more for the auto tranny I think, or something like that

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard