Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#468793 10/28/02 05:19 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I loved it. I worked a two-day event for the ASRA here in Phoenix on the Firebird main track and we had a worker-session on Sunday that allowed me to get on the course.

I've never ran a road course of any kind in my 'tour. All I can say is....WOW! What a blast! I think it helped that I was working corners for 2 days before I ran so I learned a lot from watching everyone else over that time plus I had no confusion on the rules while I was out there

I do know that I need to upgrade my brakes now. Fear of brake-fade kept me from braking as late as possible off of the front stretch (100 mph - possibly could've reached 105 if I had more ballz) into a 50 mph 1/2 combination.

I had no instruction prior from anyone and just took the first 3 laps calmly and then beared down on it after I was comfortable. I was slowly pulling on a guy in a Del Sol that had been there before, but because of my earlier braking into turn 1 I let him by after the 3rd lap of running together so I didn't screw his line up.

Anyway, we had some guys from NASA running spec Porsche 944s. Excellent racing! They were definitely pushing those cars to the limit during their races.

I don't know how SCCA and NASA break down their street classes, but ASRA has Street B (less-skilled drivers) and Street A (more-skilled drivers). There's also a competition Race class that anyone has the ability to enter. How many of you guys run competition vs. just running for the fun of it?

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
#468794 10/28/02 05:41 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by D Davis:
I was slowly pulling on a guy in a Del Sol that had been there before, but because of my earlier braking into turn 1 I let him by after the 3rd lap of running together so I didn't screw his line up.

Nice, it's good to see sportsmanship like that!

I haven't done any road courses yet but I am signed up for Summit Point in December. Can't wait!

Only been autoxing once, loved it!

I want to hit atleast two more tracks next year, in addition to Summit Point again, and a whole bunch of autox.

I have a small dream of running with the big dogs in the One Lap of America some day...

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
#468795 10/28/02 07:40 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Thanks

I wish I could get time on Laguna Seca, but wouldn't even know where to start for something like that.

I did, however, recently learn that this track is going in near my house. Scheduled opening is 3/03

If anyone could give me tips on helmets to look at I'd appreciate it. The one I used yesterday was open-faced. I think it was a motorcycle helmet, but I liked the way it felt and didn't seem in the way.

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
#468796 10/29/02 05:09 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I have a cheap gforce (gf950) helmet and have had no issues. It seems as if higher price just yields slightly better protection and markedly less weight. Also i wasnt aware that scca offered street classes in their road racing programs (barring major modifications like fire system, roll cage, kill switch). Am i crazy or is this offered outside of michigan?

98 3.0 svt: Sold
#468797 10/29/02 03:23 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Sorry man, it's an Arizona thing.

ASRA web site

If I understand the history correctly, these guys were NASA and SCCA members and had certain issues w/ the way things were being ran, so they split off and formed their own group.

EDIT: Actually, I think I read your statement wrong. The street and race classes don't mingle on the track. Maybe my explanation was bad. Me = n00b to this stuff

#468798 10/29/02 05:53 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by {Kontofosho}:
I have a cheap gforce (gf950) helmet and have had no issues.

This is the exact one I used this weekend. I'm gonna have to see if I can find a used one somewhere that'll fit.

#468799 10/30/02 10:23 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Just a recommendation on the helmets... Look for a helmet that is Snell approved. The majority of motorcycle helmets are DoT approved, but not Snell approved. This is because the Snell helmets go through a much more rigorous testing procedure. Additionally, Snell approval is required in SCCA racing, so if you are looking at running outside the Arizona club you might want to take that into consideration as well.

Personally, I am partial to full-face helmets. Now, I do come from a motorcycling background, so perhaps this comes into play, and I am real big on safety. Bear in mind that you are travelling at 100+ mph... with other people on track with you, should something go awry, I would want all the protection I could get. Comfort should be a factor, yes, but you can get comfortable full-face helmets, too. They do make open-face Snell-approved helmets, so if you want to go that route (and many people do) it is open to you.

Best of luck, and have a blast out there.

There are 10 kinds of people... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
#468800 10/31/02 05:46 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by TheMark:
Just a recommendation on the helmets... Look for a helmet that is Snell approved. The majority of motorcycle helmets are DoT approved, but not Snell approved. This is because the Snell helmets go through a much more rigorous testing procedure. Additionally, Snell approval is required in SCCA racing, so if you are looking at running outside the Arizona club you might want to take that into consideration as well.

Personally, I am partial to full-face helmets. Now, I do come from a motorcycling background, so perhaps this comes into play, and I am real big on safety. Bear in mind that you are travelling at 100+ mph... with other people on track with you, should something go awry, I would want all the protection I could get. Comfort should be a factor, yes, but you can get comfortable full-face helmets, too. They do make open-face Snell-approved helmets, so if you want to go that route (and many people do) it is open to you.

Best of luck, and have a blast out there.

What he means is to look for Snell SA (special applications) 95 or better. I think the ruling is "current standard minus 2." Or, in other words, if the current Snell standard is "SA2000" you would be legal to wear something as old as SA90, but realize that if there is an SA05 forthcoming, the SA90 will obsolesce fairly quickly.

There are many types of SCCA and non-SCCA events that will accept Motorcycle certifications, or "M"-class (M95, M2000, etc.). These helmets are almost always cheaper, but check your rule book to see if they are allowed. These are fine for Solo II, and some high-performance car clinic type events where you are alone on the track. Depends on the organizers.

The difference? SA helmets are designed to hold up under multiple impacts (such as during a high speed multiple rollover), and they are lined with a fire retardant material like nomex. They also are allowed to have a smaller facial opening than the M helmets.

I also picked up a full-face helmet, even though my only game right now is Solo II in a closed-cockpit sedan. Just a little more insurance against steering wheel incursions into the facial area. AGX, M95 helmet for $65 shipped.

Does spending more protect your head better? To a point, but most of the cost difference, once you've satisfied the basic protective requirements, go into features like light weight (re, exotic materials), ventilation, and "comfort" materials like removable coolmax liners. (My $.02)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#468801 10/31/02 05:54 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Okay, this is all great info. Thanks guys

The helmet in the link above should be SA2000. It has the followig in the description: Snell SA2000 - It's open-faced, but I'm slightly claustrophobic and don't like having my head completely surrounded by anything. I'll go to a bike shop first I guess and try some full helmets on and see if I can deal with it.

My guess is that would satisfy requirements, but I'll be certain to check all the rules and stuff beforehand.

Thanks again! Hopefully next time I can get some video clips to show off.

#468802 10/31/02 10:22 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Normally in a closed cockpit, you should be OK. The only time a full face is required is for convertibles or other open cars. I think a local guy here in Wichita said he had to get full-face so he could race his MR2 with the T-tops out.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard