Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
We are having our last auto x of the season Sunday, but this week I have been hearing what sounds like the "brake wear sensor" warning me that my brakes need to be replaced. It's that terrible metal on metal sound and it's only coming from the L wheel.

I have Mintex 1144 on there now and hate to replace them before Sunday's event. My brakes are still strong - they only have 2 auto x events & about 2 months of driving on them - could they be worn out so soon??? If so, I don't think I'll buy $100 Mintex again . . .

Do you think that two drivers running at least 12 runs on a 45-50 second course will destroy these brakes or could I run the event with that "sensor" squelling at me? Also, anyone else noticed short life on the Mintex 1144 pads?

Don Francis - 1999 Contour Zetec MTX -- Stock except for stereo mods & 20%/5% tint: Sony MobileES head unit, Pioneer 6x8 in front doors, 3 JL Audio 10 in the trunk, RF Punch amp pushing the doors, JL 300x2 amp on the 10s Auto X Novice --> NHS 11 (ya gotta start somewhere) - thanks auto x guys for your advice!
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
The only way to check the brake is to visually look at it..
I'm not sure if the Mintex have a squeel layer built into them or not.. I'm on my 2nd front set of the mintex pads, they have a very good life, On my second set I've been to two national tours on my current ones and about 10 local events with 4-6 runs at each event. Seems strange, check visually if there is a sharp difference in the fronts, I would say something isn't right. But check first, it might just be brake dust, or something.

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I agree with Eric. look at them. measure the pad thickness.
You might get by with 5mm, but no one can tell for sure...
It depends on your driving style, your braking style, eg, left foot braking, using the brakes to modify the mid corner behaviour of the car, trail braking, ad nauseum.

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard