Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Tried my own last night, apparently the dome light(s) don't go out until you turn the key, just inserting it doesn't kill them. So in your case the lights would go out after you close the door and the delay times out, and then come back on when you turn the key on.
I don't have my EVTM available but as I recall the circuit; the (a)relay mentioned previously, the (b)door jamb switches, the (c)key-in switch/relay, and the (d)timer module all have a part to play for lights to come and go off. Your test show that b, c and at least the delay part of d are ok. The timer d also works the intermittent wipers and the windshield washer pulsing, so you could check those features (although there are several more) easily.
A cursory check of relay coil can be accomplished just by putting your finger on the relay, and either operating the ignition from off to run (but not start), or operating the door jamb switch by hand (and delay expires), to feel if the coil energizes.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
T
OP Offline
T
Tried the battery disconnect mentioned by Xoom, didn't help. My intermittent wipers work fine. Is the relay easy to replace? How much would the part cost? Thanks for all your input.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Relay r12 (brown) located on flip-down interior fuse panel is easy to replace, it just pulls (wiggle or use yellow fuse puller} out of socket. Should be no more than $20 but I'm just guessing. However, I'm not able to say for certain that this relay is the cause of problem. Pulling relay out will cause lights to go off, which maybe a better situation for you pending fix.

In these situations I can simply substitute from my other car to confirm problem solution. You only have the option of substituting a similar relay from the under hood fuse box by the battery. The horn relay r7 is similar type (brown, closest to battery) and you may wish to substitute it inside the car to see if that fixes problem.

These relays are indentified in owners guide BTW, if you don't have one try this:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=61629&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Should have my EVTM tomorrow, will have a further look then.

T
OP Offline
T
That's a great idea horseydug. My dad also has 96 contour, so I can confirm the fix with his relay before making a purchase. BTW, my owners manual says R12 is white.

X
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
X
It sucks that it didnt work but thats as technical car savvy as i get LOL i guess yours is different my wipers didnt work kinda sucked

Xoom

'98 Ford Contour Mods: Audio: JVC kdlx-100 4 Pioneers 2-180 and 2- 200 watt speakers Meguiars Car wax http://www.secnut.com
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Well temporarily steal your Dad's and see what happens.

I should have read my own first post.

My '98 Mystique has a brown r12 relay whereas my '97 has a white one, according to the respective owner guides. I also took out the Mystique's yesterday, before my post, to make sure it killed the lights; it did, and is currently sitting here by my keyboard.
BTW putting relay back in a little tricky since your hand blocks view of socket, has to be done by feel alone. Hopefully I'll get it back in when I try again after the sun comes up and before my wife needs her car this am.

T
OP Offline
T
Finally got around to swapping for my dad's R12 relay. No effect. Problem still there. Any more suggestions before a visit to the dealer? Thanks.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Wondered what was happening -- I'm not entirely surprised with the resuts, but at least we're narrowing it down. I got my manual back and had a quick look last week, I'll study it again and get back to you tonight, but the timer module is now the most likely component.

In the meantime if you read this, and since you can do this at n/c, I would try substituting your Dad's timer module. Its mounted to the underside of the fuse panel, no need to flip the panel down. Many contacts on it and plastic clips so you sometimes have to use small screwdriver to gently pry it out.

The internal circuitry of this module is not shown in the manual, however it performs a variety of functions, some of which we've checked.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I studied the diag again and have no further suggestions re faulty components that would cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Hopefully the timer change solves it.

B
B
This problem seems similar to what I'm experiencing in my 98 Contour SE. The overhead light doesn't come on when the door is opened but the footwell light does.

Also, my intermittent wipers aren't working. When I want to wash my windshield, I have to first turn on my wipers at the slow setting, and then push the fluid. If I try to just pull back on the lever to get at the fluid, the wipers don't automatically come on like they should.

You mentioned in the post above that the timer module may be the culprit?

Can you provide any more info?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Randy.

1998 Ford Contour SE (2.5L V6 MTX)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard