Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
#463927 10/22/02 03:24 AM
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by fordistrash:
I have 2 main problems with fords. A) the contour is not a race car never has been it never will be.

Every heard of BTCC?
I guess my real question is why you would spend a bunch of money on a 4 door car and all sorts of little kits and junk when you could buy a stock Z28 that would absolutly eat it.

I have had Z28 for lunch in a prior configuration at the dragstrip, and in the current configuration on a road course and SCCA, so don't try.

We spend money on the Contour, because we can.

If you are looking for a fight using 3000 lb automobiles, BRING IT!

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
F
OP Offline
F
What kind of HP is that running and what did it cost?

#463929 10/22/02 04:00 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I drive my Contour every day, everywhere I go. Rain, snow, sleet, hail - can't be stopped. And I enjoy driving it all the time. Why does that bother you?

I take all the extra crap out of the car, drive it to the drag strip, and race it without doing anything else but window chalking my number and dial-in on. Heck, I have a trophy in my living room that I earned that way. From a bracket racing event organized by a GM club.

Guess what? You can bracket race just about anything, and that form of racing is more about driver skill than how fast the car is. I don't need a car that (direct from the showroom foor) can beat 90% of all other cars in a heads-up race in order to enjoy racing.

To say "such and such isn't a race car" is pretty ignorant, as there are a few different ways to race cars that don't depend on massive cubes for power.

I don't mind differing opinions, but with a name of "fordistrash", you start with one strike against you. Be careful where you take your debate, or you'll find it ended early and permanantly.

#463930 10/22/02 04:13 AM
F
OP Offline
F
bracket racing can be done with any car the same with autocross. The racing i am talking about is the more nostalgic raw horsepower man PLUS machine VS. man PLUS machine where mechanic skill (weather it be the factory engineer or the backyard mechanic) is also a factor. To clear up any missconceptions i myself dont own a chevy. I am still interested in this mythical contour which beat a Z28. One more thing, a valid arguement does not include Bar Dar contour good Chevy bad you are stupid i beat chevy therfor it is bad (try coming up with a point, it wont kill you i promise)(that last comment was not directed at everyone, you know if it was directed at you)

#463931 10/22/02 04:18 AM
O
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
O
Not every girl wants a pony...

Get it? We drive 27's because we like them...

Prior to buying my SVT:C i was given the following choices

94 Toyota Supra TT (yes it will kick the Camaro's ass)
98 Z28
99 GT Mustang
98 SVT Mustang

All in and around the same price range ($15k-$20k). Why did I choose the SVT instead? Because I like having a quick lil 4DOOR. I like the rarity and styling. I like the looks I get. I like having a backseat..if you know what I mean. I see Camaros and Mustangs all the time, I wanted something others didn't have. With a production number of under 11,000 SVT's total it's very attractive. I'm a fulltime college student and given what I want and my budget it worked for me. I would not own a Camaro over my SVT.

Think about what you are asking and why people buy Hondas and soup them up to smoke the very Mustangs and Camaros you talk about? Think about it... many of us had a choice and we made the one that we thought was best for us.

MY NEW HOBBY...RUINING CHRIS CROFTS LIFE...
#463932 10/22/02 04:22 AM
O
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
O
I guess my real question is why you would spend a bunch of money on a 4 door car and all sorts of little kits and junk when you could buy a stock Z28 that would absolutly eat it.

Oh, and I'm not on a 'lack of size' avenging mission to beat every car on the road... get it yet?

MY NEW HOBBY...RUINING CHRIS CROFTS LIFE...
#463933 10/22/02 05:12 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Ok, so you've made your point. However, you've tried telling a Contour Enthusiast Group that Contours suck. What high horse did you ride into town on? If we all wanted Cameros, we could all probably go out and buy one.
Bob Dylan said it best: "You're in the wrong place my friend, you'd better leave."

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
#463934 10/22/02 05:33 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S

Go back to say 1995 and make a list of all the cars that came with 170hp or more, 5 speed manual transmission and 4 doors - oh yeah, and cost just a gnats ass over 20,000 dollars, and handled like they were on rails. You are going to find a mighty short list!

Move up to 1998 when the C-SVT's came out and competed against BMW 3 series and A4's in the auto mag comparisons, still for just a bit over 20,000 dollars. For the most part we are not here to compete against the pony car crowd, because we have grown up and for one reason or another are in the sport sedan market now. To compare our cars to anything else is pointless (though the few peopele here pushing d@mn near 300hp might take issue with that statement).

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
#463935 10/22/02 11:00 AM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
okay, "under ratted for insurance purposes" is that GROSS or Net power? GT 350 & 500 & cobras were built by shelby american, not ford. ford took over in late '67. and how much after inflation is that 69 zl-1? also, it was not avaikable to the general public. yes, i have rebuilt both chevy and ford. an engine is an engine. the corvette reverse rotation water pump will not fit all chevys, nor will the pieces from a 262 or 273.

#463936 10/22/02 01:03 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
You can dissagree with my view of ford cars, but insulting my intellegence and social status, sounds like you dont have an actual arguement. As to the 430HP on the ZL1,it was under rated for insurance purposes. 430 was also the rating on the stock L71 427. I also think you all are missing my point. I have 2 main problems with fords. A) the contour is not a race car never has been it never will be. B) Chevy smallblock parts fit all chevy smallblocks regardless of displacement (granted a 283 crank will require some crazy bearrings in a 400 block it isnt ideal but it will work)not all ford 351 parts fit all ford 351s. You are also overlooking another statement i made. There are some cars made by ford that are absolutly excellent; shelby gt350/500 , gt40 , the shelby cobra (the 289 was an amazing little powerplant). I guess my real question is why you would spend a bunch of money on a 4 door car and all sorts of little kits and junk when you could buy a stock Z28 that would absolutly eat it.

FYI, I own a 3rd gen Camaro and a 98 Contour SVT. I own them for different reasons.

I bought my Camaro back in 92. It's great for sunny warm days with the t-tops off, the V-8 roaring and Stevie Ray Vaugn blasting out of my sound system. This car is a fair weather friend:

It gets sideways in the rain and it hates snow, whether a dusting or 6+ inches.
I can't carry more than one passenger.
My back hurts on anything more than a 2 hour drive.
Cops follow me and I'm not some teenager punk looking for a street race.
My neighbors hate when I pull in a 3AM with the car or leave at 7AM for work.
Insurance - I don't want to talk about it.
Mustang owners rev at me.
Fourth Gen F-Body owners won't talk to me, except for a select few.
Around town, this thing drinks gas faster than an open bar at a Kennedy wedding.

Now for my Contour SVT. I had a 90 Isuzu Trooper for a bad weather/city vehicle. The SUV was on it's last legs and I was looking for a replacement. My friend back in May bought a Contour SVT to keep the high milage off his leased 4Runner. I drove it and fell in love with the car. So I looked around and bought one a month later. I had to drive from Philly to Baltimore to get the car. It's a great car:

Limited edition - less than 10,000 made total.
4 doors - I can carry people around without cramming them in the back.
Leather seats that fit me perfectly. This is a long haul car.
The car looks good.
Insurance for a 4 door is much cheaper.
Stick shift - need I say more.
Happy revving V-6. Once the secondary valves open, this car takes off.
I don't feel like a redneck when taking a date out (Rarely happens lately).
This car can handle like noone's business. I have taken my Camaro AutoXing and this SVT could probably procuce faster times even with a smaller motor.

*Bottom Line - People buy different cars for different reasons. I raced Bracket racing for the first time this past weekend with my SVT. It was my first time taking the SVT or even a stick shift car to the track. I beat out two V-8 Mustangs before losing in the third round when I lost my concentration (see quiz post for full story).

1998 T-Red SVT #957 Born 5/14/1997
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard