Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Well, I just got home a few hours ago from our local CEG meet in Burlington, VT, and I had the pleasure to help not one, but TWO fellow CEG'ers successfully install, shim, bleed, and road test their front Focus SVT brake kits.

I could tell you who they were, and post pics, but then I'd be stealing their thunder, now wouldn't I?!

I'm sure they will be posting them soon...

-Jeff -"Buck Futter!!" My Ride! http://members.sounddomain.com/sideoftheroad
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Do they bolt straight on? If not what modifications do they require. BTW i'm jealous.

98 3.0 svt: Sold
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
They bolt on, but need shims between the caliper mounting brackets, and the knuckle mounting points. Not to mention minimum 16" wheels to clear the calipers. Besides that, its a direct swap.

-Jeff -"Buck Futter!!" My Ride! http://members.sounddomain.com/sideoftheroad
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Jeff is right you guys, all that's required to bolt up these brakes are some Home Depot special lock washers ($1.89). 1/2" Stainless, medium split lock washers. You need 4. They are in a brown bag (2per). I can get a pic if some people are really having problems finding them. Other than that, you don't need anything else. OE bolts work just fine, they are plenty long.

Overall, I like them. My original rotors were completely shot (jeff can attest to that ) and I decided to go with the focus setup because in the end it cost $360 from Bill Jenkins. A great upgrade for the price. We also swapped out my original fluid for ATE super blue race fluid. I think all I need now are some good pads all around...the stock SVT rears look REAL small now!!!!

I was wondering who was going to post about this first...looks like Jeff is the whore!

Thank you jeff for all your help, you are the spring clip king!!!

Pics are coming soon you guys, we've got some pics of the install as well as some nice rolling shots. also some pics of jeff's badass mystique

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Whats the difference in brakes? Are they the 300mm rotor with your stock caliper or did you get FSVT calipers as well? Whats the difference in calipers if you got new ones?What was included for the $360?? Thanks! And way to pioneer!

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
2 11.xx" SVTF Rotors, 2 SVT F Calipers (bigger to accomodate the 1+ inch bigger swept area.)

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I know brake basics, but not enough to answer this.

The big problem with the FSVT setup has been the necessary shimming, via plates or washers. In such a setup, how important is it to shim the caliper enough that the rotor is PERFECTLY centered between pads? Do the inner and outer pad only work in equal proportion, or do they essentially work individually in terms of distance they can travel?

We're spending money to gain braking performance, and it would be a shame to find that because of slightly off centered mounting, the inner or outer pad is only achieving, say 70%, of its potential.

Thanks ahead of time for the theoretical disc brake lesson.

Brian Dors
99 SVT

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Well, if you don't shim them that's the problem you will have..if you even manage to get your car moving. With the spacers, we center the caliper over the rotor. Differences in space between rotor and pad, if any, are tiny...too small to see with the eye. If there are, the pads will merely wear down until they are even. so far so good...definitely better.

my car

Chris Arslanyan

More install pics to come.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Ok, so just what is the increase in rotor diameter?
And what calipers are you using, the Contours or the Focus?

Reasons for asking?

Well, first a slight increase in rotor diameter will net only minimal performance gains. I'd say it'll take about an inch of diameter to calculate out any value.
Next, if you are plannig to use the Focus calipers, compare the piston diameters. (I have this at the shop, but not on hand at home) if the Focus is smaller you'll have less clamp loading on said rotor.
Lastly, if the larger pad looks good, that's fine, but it does not have any effect on the ability of the brake system. It'll just last longer.

So if I were looking into this I'd dig a bit deeper before I'd shell out any money for the parts. I'll be happy to offer up the numbers for you tomorrow if you wish.
If you do decide to go this route I made up a set of spacers for someone and we can certainly do a quantity run if there is enough interest.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Taken from a previous post from Todd to me and Chris, just so nobody says I'm dishing out unjust sarcasm.

In reply to:

I'm thinking you guys can't read....

As posted above, parts we used are the FSVT Rotors AND Calipers.

The rotors are more than an inch bigger, calipers are alot beefier as well. I haven't got any measurements on the piston diameter. They definitley aren't smaller. Bottom line is they stop alot better than the stock SVT brakes, and they're a cheap upgrade. I don't tihnk we'll be needing any special made spacers either as we've discovered they're readily, and cheaply available, thanks though.

If people are interested in getting spacers made however, I recommend contacting Elky, he sent me a "prototype" spacer and while we wound up not using them due to a snafu on our end, they were very high quality.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard