Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
I know nothing about small size differences and technical talk, but I do know that I put a set of 225/50/16 Firestone (hey, if anyone's watching their quality control right now, it's them) SZ50EPs on my completely stock '99 SVT and haven't experienced one bit of rub. Not going fast, not going slow, not hitting a big bump, not taking right-angle turns at vastly higher speeds than would be prudent, nada . I haven't had them long enough to judge even-ness of wear, though.

christopher

'99 SVT Black and stockish - except for the tow hitch, but pretend not to notice it. "I'm just gonna go find a cash machine..."
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
I got a set of toyo proxy's fz4's 205/55/16 a couple of months ago and am extreamly happy with them in overall performance. Big differance from the factory g-force's.

1999 Silver Frost Contour SVT 2690 of 2760 Born 08/13/1999 Sony Mobile ES CDX-C90 Deck 6 1/2 Infinity Kappa Perfect mid & tweet set, 2 12 Infinity Kappa Perfects JBL P.600.1 for Bass, P.180.2 for front stage.
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Nothin technical about them.

Regardless of what anybody here says, you get a 225/50/16 and a 215/55/16 and the 225 is taller. TALLER. I don't care if your TireRack catalog and "We Know Everything About Tires" book, take them, put them together, and the 225 is taller than my 215. Why did everybody make such a big fuzz about my recommendation???

And 215/55/16 is ALOT more popular than 215/50/16, ALOT.

Save the tech talk Luke, take the tires and put them side by side, and DON'T LIE.

Experience I learned from years of being involved around tires, you do not know the size, THE EXACT SIZE of a tire unless you look at it, stand next to it, feel it. I guarantee you, mount it on a vehicle and you will like them better than the 205's. I don't see why anybody would have any problems with a 215/55 that they wouldn't have with a 225/50.

Lemme put it in MY TERMS:

205/55/16 = nice
215/55/16 = nicer, bit taller, alot wider
225/50/16 = BIG, TALL and WIDE

One more time, don't tell me I am giving out wrong advice Luke, OKAY? Maybe TireRack doesn't carry many 215/55/16 but that doesn't make it a bad choice for anybody to put on their Contour/Mystique. Start selling your customer better sizes and maybe they will start getting a little better mileage out of their investment. I know it ain't good for business, but maybe some people like to pay and actually get their money's worth.

"My head is blank..."
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Luke@tirerack:
Pancho1181 post:

Take a 215/55/16 and put it next to a 225/50/16.

THEY ARE THE SAME HEIGHT. I HAVE PLENTY OF THOSE AT WORK AND I PLAY AROUND WITH SIZES ALL DAY LONG. If my recommendation of 215/55/16 over 225/50/16 has some thought put into, so don't slam me cuz I know my sizes. And, if you think that wider is always better, then YOU ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO QUIT GIVING OUT ADVICE ON TIRE SIZES. ANd no, 225/50's won't proved better handling over 205/55's being that the vehicle is so light. Don't try to apply ideas that work for a Mustang or a Camaro because we are talking about a Contour.

And lastly, if the guy is asking for advice then LET ME GIVE SOME ADVICE. I have facts to back up what I say, and I see set's of tires installed and removed because of improper fit/application every single day, I WORK IN A TIRE SHOP, so please do not lecture me.

I respect everybody in this board and I really dislike when people who oviously know less than me try to talk down on me. So please don't do it.
--------------------------------------------------------
so, you work for a tire shop ???? If you do, I would like to thank you for your input. Because, the lack of a factual base in your recommendations makes me look good

215/55-16 = 25.3"
205/55-16 = 24.9"
225/50-16 = 24.9"
215/50-16 = 24.5"

are they still the same diameter ????

Factual meaning you actually took a ruler and measured them?

You being a tech Luke, should know that book knowledge doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. Hands on experience is the best tool you got when it comes to EXPERIENCE TALK. You never answered the question about you installing 215/55/16's on a Contour/Mystique before, have you ever? If not then you have no business making smart ass comments about a tire I KNOW will work.

"My head is blank..."
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Will a 215/55-16 fit on a Contour ... yes but, is it right ... NO. I have seen people do make a lot of things "fit" on different cars but that doesn't make it correct. There are people using 22's on IMpalas with tires that are 2" too tall. does it fit, you can make it fit. Is it a correct fitment .... again no. What about the people who's tires and wheels stick out 4"-6" past the fenders ... again they make it fit but is it correct ... NO . Not only is the diameter incorrect but, it will also decrease acceleration because of the change of overall gear ratio. But, please continue to make me look good by your incorrect recommendations. Also, if you notice in my sig I am an ASE Certified Master Technician and have been for almost 20 years so, I do know what I am talking about, and I am basing all of my comments and recommendations on experience and facts ... what about you ????

Thank You
Luke

Luke Pavlick Sales Representative ASE Certified Master Tech For more info on any post or to place an order please call 800-428-8355 ext. 362 for on-line orders mention my name in the previous contact field for prompt personal service. www.tirerack.com I want to die peacefully in my sleep Like my Grandfather Not screaming and frightened like the passengers in his car !!!
C
CJ 2000 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by pancho1181:
Experience I learned from years of being involved around tires, you do not know the size, THE EXACT SIZE of a tire unless you look at it, stand next to it, feel it. I guarantee you, mount it on a vehicle and you will like them better than the 205's. I don't see why anybody would have any problems with a 215/55 that they wouldn't have with a 225/50.

205/55/16 = nice

Okay, here's my problem Pancho. I have zero experience with tires, but I do have experience with math. Hence, I don't believe you. You're saying that 225/50/16 is the only tire available that doesn't follow the measurement specifications listed on the sidewall. That's good to know.

Also, you say as shown above, that "I don't see why anybody would have any problems with a 215/55 that they wouldn't have with 225/50. So, basically, you're saying the same... I thought you said the 225 was taller. I thought you said the 225 was BIG, TALL and WIDE. I'm a bit confused.

Anyways, I'm pretty much decided on going with 225/50/16 Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. Now I have to decide whether I'm going with my local tire shop or combined TireRack/different tire shop. CEGers (and Luke), thanks for your help (with my original question).

2000 Black Contour SVT
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
225/50 is taller than 215/55, FACT.

215/55 won't work on a Contour/Mystique, FICTION.

And still nobody has answered the question "have you installed 215'55/16's on a Contour/Mystique?"

Math ain't nothing but a number, there's alot of math problems still unresolved, tell me Einstein, why is 225/50 taller than a 215/55???

Have I made you confused? I have said the same theory ever since the whole argument about tire fitment started, all I get from Luke and the others is "TEXT BOOK TALK", I don't like when people base their facts on what other people say about the tires they put on their vehicle.

Anybody out there, can you tell me 225/50 isn't taller than a 225/50???

Thank you.

"My head is blank..."
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by CJ 2000:
Originally posted by pancho1181:

205/55/16 = nice

Okay, here's my problem Pancho. I have zero experience with tires, but I do have experience with math. Hence, I don't believe you. You're saying that 225/50/16 is the only tire available that doesn't follow the measurement specifications listed on the sidewall. That's good to know.

Also, you say as shown above, that "I don't see why anybody would have any problems with a 215/55 that they wouldn't have with 225/50. So, basically, you're saying the same... I thought you said the 225 was taller. I thought you said the 225 was BIG, TALL and WIDE. I'm a bit confused.

Anyways, I'm pretty much decided on going with 225/50/16 Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. Now I have to decide whether I'm going with my local tire shop or combined TireRack/different tire shop. CEGers (and Luke), thanks for your help (with my original question).

Believe what you can man, but if you think TireRack is selling you 225's because "they are better fit and not because they are making more money off of them" then you are mistaken.

225 is taller, I don't know how nmany times I have to say this. I measured a Dunlop SP-5000, a 225 and a 215/55, and the 225 is taller, hence the comment "I don't see why anybody would have any problems with a 215/55 that they wouldn't have with 225/50" because the 225's are taller, hence why the tires rub.

I don't know any simpler English or I would post using it, 225 is TALLER, 215/55/16 is a good fit. I don't see Luke saying anything about "from experience" You can throw all the numbers you want Luke, you will still be wrong, and I can write your district mannager and make you see, thru court, I AM RIGHT. DO NOT MISSINFORM YOUR CUSTOMERS OR YOU WILL BE PUBLICLY EMBARRASED. Use all the sweet talk you want that has helped you suck money out of loyal Contour/Mystique owners, but you ain't telling the truth.

Do you know false advertising can get your company in very deep sh*t?

Stop the "I have 20 years of experience talk" and start telling me some real facts about the tire I am recommending agains the size 225 that you seem to like so much.

"My head is blank..."
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The tire may be taller when loaded depending on tire pressure and such, but according to what the numbers mean, the 215/55-16 SHOULD be a bit taller than the 225/50-16

However, even if the tire heights are as you describe, due to the weight of the vehicle pressing down the 55 profile tire a bit more, the circumference of a 215/55-16 will be about 1.5" greater than the 225/50-16, resulting in speedometer error as well as potentially slower acceleration. Not to mention, IF (and that's a big IF) the 215/55 is heavier than the 225/50. (Hey, it could happen) then you have more unsprung weight, which is usually not a good thing for handling and performance, not to mention, increased rotational mass.

I can tell you from driving, that wider is not always better. If you go too wide, especially relative to the wheel, then the tire will roll under the wheel and handling suffers.

All I have is 21 years of driving experience to share here. My certifications are all in the computer world, LOL.

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by tboner:
The tire may be taller when loaded depending on tire pressure and such, but according to what the numbers mean, the 215/55-16 SHOULD be a bit taller than the 225/50-16

However, even if the tire heights are as you describe, due to the weight of the vehicle pressing down the 55 profile tire a bit more, the circumference of a 215/55-16 will be about 1.5" greater than the 225/50-16, resulting in speedometer error as well as potentially slower acceleration. Not to mention, IF (and that's a big IF) the 215/55 is heavier than the 225/50. (Hey, it could happen) then you have more unsprung weight, which is usually not a good thing for handling and performance, not to mention, increased rotational mass.

I can tell you from driving, that wider is not always better. If you go too wide, especially relative to the wheel, then the tire will roll under the wheel and handling suffers.

All I have is 21 years of driving experience to share here. My certifications are all in the computer world, LOL.

TB

No, the tire is taller, with or without weight, so rethink your entire post. BTW, tell me the math you are using for your conversion, and your mathematical "facts".

"My head is blank..."
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard