Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#457732 10/12/02 10:27 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Looking to add a pair of fogs that I want to also function as DRLs. I don't have a DRL relay on my vehicle (95 tour / V6) and I don't want to go that route anyway. Just want to hook into the electrical system at some point where it's active when the ignition is on. That way I don't have to worry about turning them on or off (or, more importantly, accidentally leaving them on). The lights are 55W/15AMPs. Anyone have any idea where the best place would be to tie into the electrics?

#457733 10/03/05 05:36 AM
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Holy old thread...I've been wanting to do this mod as well. I have aftermarket fogs wired straight into the battery with a switch at the footwell that no normal person can reach while driving. Any ideas on where I can give these babies some juice only when the car is running so that I can just leave the switch on?

#457734 10/03/05 06:04 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
My idea would be this...

If the original poster wants to know still, then follow the same setup (but I doubt they're still around, what 2 posts back in 02... heh).

You'll need an SPDT relay from radioshack or equivalent that can handle the current. Reason you might want a relay is so you can use high amp devices (like high power fog lights) with low amp switches.

But what I was thinking...

Use this diagram to help hook it up:
Bottom of relay (as if you were looking at it):

Relay diagram (ignition off):

Borrowed from: the12volt.com
  • Leave the switch so you can turn them off when desired
  • Take the input to the switch (constant hot) and run it to a switched wire. Either use a test light/voltmeter and find a switched lead coming out of the fusebox, or use a known (like the radio circuit)
  • Run the current switched (the wire going from the switch to the fogs), and run it into one of the coil terminals (85 or 86)**.
  • Ground the other coil terminal
  • Run a wire from your battery or other constant power source (your one already hooked to the battery will work) to terminal 30
  • Hook the wire going to the fog lights to terminal 87
  • Terminal 87a is not used in this setup (so leave it alone!)

If you hooked it up properly, the coil will energize when the ignition is on, in turn completing the circuit between terminals 30 & 87. Your fog lights will illuminate. When you shut off the ignition, the coil will de-energize and the fogs will go out.

Relay with ignition on:

So here is the connections:
    Switch:
  • Input: switched circuit (fuse box, radio, etc)
  • Output: to Terminal 85/86 on Relay
    Relay:
  • 85: Either output from switch, or to ground**
  • 86: Either output from switch, or to ground**
  • 30: Constant hot from battery
  • 87: To fog lights
  • 87a: -unused-

**Note: if the relay has a diode, you will need to have correct polarity. Ground the terminal that has the Cathode (striped or notched side of diode) attached, and provide power to the other terminal (the anode of the diode).

If you don't want the switch, just omit it, and run the switched lead straight from it's source (fuse box, radio, etc) to the coil of the relay.

• Last edited by Kane; 10/03/05 06:05 PM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    #457735 10/03/05 09:03 PM
    H
    Veteran CEG\'er
    Veteran CEG\'er
    H
    Nice info, thanks. I'm gonna give it a try and see how it turns out whenever I get some free time.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard