Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mike22B Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have a 99 SE and I'm participating in an autocross for the first time this Sunday. I was just wondering if any of us less fortunate contour owners have autocrossed their cars. If so are there any characteristics of the car i should know about? The one thing i'm most worried about are the stock Firehawks, I'm sure the'll turn the car into a screaming banshee. So if anyone has any tips i'd appreciate it. Thanks

S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Ive seen one non svt racing once

i didn't catch its time im comparision to mine though
I would say get rid of the firehawks espically if there the sz30 or something like that
I had those and they where horrible
Blew one out doing 80 in milwakee but thats a different story.

I hope you have fun its a blast

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I've autocrossed my SE a couple of times. However both times I still very new to it all so I didn't know much about what I was doing (i still don't), but I do know that the stock tires are sucky, and when they start to scream they are just slowing you down. I know it sounds pretty cool but it only results in bad times, and massive amounts of tire wear.
I vaugley remember hearing that the SE v6 is actually better to auto cross in due to the lower weight and the fact that the torque is avaiable lower in the RPM band. Not that it really matters much on your first autocross.
The one thing I did find was that the v6 can stay in second gear almost all the time. It might be a good idea to stick to second gear until you are more comfortable with heel toe downshifting. I've said enough now, just remember to have fun while you are out there.

Peter

98 MTX V6 SE Sport 05 RSX-S and a Turbo MR2
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Well, 6 events under my belt in my 96 SE and the biggest difference still between me and the SVT that always shows up is the driver. (He is much, much, better than me.) We both run on stock suspension and street tires.

First event? Squeal away and try to learn at least one thing. Save the tire hunt for next year. I put 2 events on all-season radials, and then spent the winter looking for a new wheel-tire package.

Dynamically, you have less power and a little more understeer than the SVT, but of course for the 99 year SE you are supposedly sprung more softly than I am. Bummer.

As for shifting, depends on the course. I've only hit 3rd on a couple of courses with longer straights or long runouts at the end. Otherwise there just isn't the opportunity.

If you find yourself pushing way off your line in a tight corner, brake earlier on the next run. This will get the car slowed down with enough time to settle in before the turn, making the most of all four of your tires.

Don't be afraid to downshift. Very useful for making the most of your power coming out of those little hairpin turns. Can't heel-toe? Don't worry. That will come later.

Otherwise, just go and have fun.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
I have been autocrossing my '99 LX Zetec 5M this season. Check out the results here Highlands Sports Car Club, Asheville, NC. Look in "event results" then click on either 2002 Nite Series or Biltmore Square Mall Autocross #2. Look for me, Don Francis, Ford Contour, NHS 11.

I usually averaged somewhere in the upper middle with the other cars in non-novice HS. I hope to improve as time passes, of course. Our last autocross this season is on 10/27/02, I'll be there ready to run. It's fun as hell, so just do it! Don't worry about looking dumb, everyone I've met at the events has been great!

Don Francis - 1999 Contour Zetec MTX -- Stock except for stereo mods & 20%/5% tint: Sony MobileES head unit, Pioneer 6x8 in front doors, 3 JL Audio 10 in the trunk, RF Punch amp pushing the doors, JL 300x2 amp on the 10s Auto X Novice --> NHS 11 (ya gotta start somewhere) - thanks auto x guys for your advice!
M
Mike22B Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the tips guys. I feel better knowing Iā??m not the only one. I do believe that the SE's torque will be it's greatest advantage and the tires it's weakness. And RogerB, I have no trouble believing the earlier contours are sprung harder than mine. The biggest hang up however is that a week ago my contour started to bog down under cornering while accelerating. So I checked the forums and found an old post under troubleshooting that described my problem exactly. I had already suspected the fuel pump but this confirmed it was to blame. (I can't find the link to the post right now) So, I took it to my friendly neighborhood Ford dealer (seeing as it was still under warranty), and left a detailed description of the problem, let them know I thought it was the fuel pump and left it there. This was this past Saturday. Monday I get a call saying they couldn't get the car to act up. So the following Wednesday I went over and took a service rep out, it only took one turn to show them exactly what was happening. Everything seemed in order, I even told the guy that I needed it by Sunday (day of the autoX). He said no problem. Come today (Saturday), I still haven't gotten a call back, so I called them. And get 2 answers from two different people, one guy said he couldn't get the car to act up again!!!! And the other simply said that he scanned the car and nothing came up. I told both the guys it was the fuel pump, but they weren't willing to swap one just to see if it fixes it. So I got fed up and just took the car, topped of the tank, crossed my fingers and went for a drive. Luckily it wouldn't act up with a full tank. (Side note: the whole time they had it, there was 1/4 of tank) So now Iā??m just going to be paranoid that it will start bogging down in the middle of my runs, one more thing to worry about. Oh well tomorrow sure will be interesting seeing as I will have a time bomb in the fuel tank and Itā??s supposed to rain!! Thanks again for the tips guys.

F
F
We autocross with a Mercury Mystique v-6,5sp. After 2 years and 117,000 miles (dailyDriver also) it still a great car. The gas problem seems to be a Ford problem in autocross cars. It shows up big time in Focus cars, but I have seen a couple in Contours. So far, so good with our car. It does help to have the local dealer a fellow autocrosser, along with the top local Ford Mech, also a Drag Racer/Autocrosser. Don't worry about your car, just go out and have fun at a great family motorsport.

M
Mike22B Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well I had a blast at the the autocross. All though it was a very eventfull day. First off the fuel pump never acted up, mainly due to the fact that i had the tank topped off. But, a new problem developed, i'll get to that in a sec. My first run i wasn't nervous at all for some reason. I took it easy and turned in a very slow 54.64, after that run i pulled back into line and sat when i noticed (here comes the problem) that smoke was pooring out of the hood. I glance at my temp gauge and it's in the red. So, I pop the hood and noticed that my radiator fans weren't running. At this point i was ready to quit, fearing i'd blow my motor. Luckily my friend's dad walked over helped me out and just said "Go for it, it's under warranty" So I did just that however i still felt very uncomfortable so my second run was just as slow, 55.89. But after that run seeing it had cooled off with enough air washing through, i was more confident and pushed harder for the next two runs, the third was 50.23 and the fourth was my best a 49.443 So in coclusion i had a great time, the contour went straight to the dealership, and i finished 4th in my class (out of 6). An SVT Focus, and two All Trac Celica's rocked my world and i was able to squeze by a Saab Vigen and an '02 Celica.

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard