Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Anyone know either where I can get the tools needed to replace the timing belt, have the tools and are willing to 'loan' or 'rent' them, or know how to make them?

'97 Mercury Mystique GS (Not mine anymore...) Now running a Toyota Matrix XR Red, 16" wheels, Sunroof, VVT-i
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
There is a special tool that you will need to hold the twin camshafts in place. On the camshaft end opposite of the pulleys there are slots in the end of the camshafts. Any flat piece of metal the right size will work.

The timing belt tensioner is not the type that tensions itself. You will need a spring tensioner kit or either you can guess at the tension needed like I did. A Napa auto store probably sells the tensioning kit. All Data DIY ( www.alldata.com )is a good website to look for repair information.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
you do not need any tools to hold the cam shafts in place if you index them before removing the belt itself. yes the cams will turn but it will only be alittle bit, one tooth at most. For that extra step index everything with the engine at TDC. this way if you turn the engine for some reason everything can be lined back up without problem.

although you do have to buy the one time us tensioning spring from Ford. It is a stupid $7 spring but you need it to tension the belt and then it is removed. we just used a pun to hold and pull on the spring a bit.

While you are in there replace all the pullies, mine after 104k were worn and the belt had shifted on the cam gears. new pullies will center the blet. also my tensioner was going to crack in half at some point so it had to go.

the job isn't to hard as long as you take you time and have a good guide or knowledge of jobs like this

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Thank you for the post. I have never done a timing belt before, but it does not look that bad on the Zetech. I have a subscription to ALLDATADIY.COM and the Haynes manual, both have great step by step instructions, but talk about the tool. Where can I puchase the $7.00 spring? Can I get it on the web some place?

I have a friend who has done this before (not on a Zetech, but on other cars) so I can elicit his help with a 6-pack

I agree that the important thing is to take my time. I think I will replace the water pump at the same time. What pullies should I do?

Also, would this be a good time to do a DMD?

'97 Mercury Mystique GS (Not mine anymore...) Now running a Toyota Matrix XR Red, 16" wheels, Sunroof, VVT-i
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Also it is best to have a friend there to help cause you are going to need someone to help when you remove the pulley and the crankshaft dampener. So yes, if you want to install the DMD now is the time.

Your friend will need to put the car in 5th if it is manual or drive if auto and then apply the emergency brake and push fairly hard on the brake pedal. This way you won't turn the car over when you try to remove the pulley and the dampener.

This was a beast to do on the 2.3 mustang and I have the same prob now, I will be taking mine to a shop. It looks like it is straightforward and I could do it....I would just rather not

L8r
Rich

'04 Ecotec Cavi 140hp/150tq Fabbed intake. Header Coming, DRL's disabled, X-Drilled/slotted rotors coming....Man you really are fast. You were hauling a$$ when I passed you RB&LB causing problems in Huntsville
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
well as far as I know there isn't a DMD for the Zetec

the spring was $7 at Ford so I don't know if you can get it anywhere else. I think it maybe specific to this aplication. The pullies that need to be replace are the ones for the timing belt. there is a tensioner and to idler pullies. two have almost the same part number, one is a A and one is a B. they are plastic so it is a good idea to change them

also make sure you have the engine well supported since you need to remove the engine support to get into the timing belt covers

can change the water pump if you want to but it is like normal waterpumps and has the weep whole, so if it isn't weeping collant it is still good, and once you have gotten in there once it is fairly easy to do it again

make sure you lossen the waterpump pullie bolts first before removing the belt

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
That's interesting. I have been noticing my car running a little warmer lately. Where is the weep hole and how do I check it? I was thinking I needed a water pump, but maybe not (is it just the Duratec that has water pump probs?) Maybe I need a new thermostat.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
when you get the the timing cover off you will see the water pump and the weep hole is on the top

sorry I can't be more specific then that but this is what my father told me when we changed the timing belt on my car. I think the weep hole will drip coolant if the seal in the pump has gone.

as for the temp guage I have seen it run a touch higher when changing the gas grade that I use. Also don't forget that the zetec tends to run hot, so it might just be normal. but if you haven't ever changed the thermostat and coolant that should make a difference

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
There are two TDC (Top Dead Center) for a 4 stroke engine (compression stroke TDC & Exhaust Stroke TDC). I changed my timing belt on the Exhaust Stroke TDC. The crankshaft turns twice for each time that the camshaft turns once.

I did not change the camshaft gear pulleys but I read in the manual not to use the camshaft tool to hold the camshaft while loosening the camshaft gear bolt. The reason was that the camshaft could break.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Go ahead and replace the water pump. That is what I am having the mechanic for my car do when he replaces the timing belt. Think about it this way. Everything will be apart and will be able to be taken care of in one fell swoop. Otherwise, problem with the pump later means.........taking it alllll apppaarrrt agggaaaiiin......no fun!

L8R
Rich

'04 Ecotec Cavi 140hp/150tq Fabbed intake. Header Coming, DRL's disabled, X-Drilled/slotted rotors coming....Man you really are fast. You were hauling a$$ when I passed you RB&LB causing problems in Huntsville
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard