Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Next week will be my 1st time @ the track and I wanted to know what RPM the quaife users are launching at. Also, how much noise from the tires (aka wheelspin) should I be shooting for to get the best 60'?

2000 Cougar V6 With a couple changes... 8)
O
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
O
CB99SVT launches @ 5500rpms....

This is in no way a suggestion that you should do that...

MY NEW HOBBY...RUINING CHRIS CROFTS LIFE...
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Did you upgrade the clutch as well. 5000 rpm launches on the stock clutch and it will wear out pretty quick. I launch mine at about 3-4000, with a little bit of clutch slip. even at that rpm, too quick with the clutch and they spin.

Also CB99SVT has drag radials IIRC, so his launch will be completely different.

Simon new- '04 Dodge Dakota 4x4. V8, 5spd FOR SALE Black 98 SVT EO (#2119 of 6535)- SOLD! New project-'88 Ranger 302 swap.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
He also was running Nitto Drag Radials!

Quiafe or no Quaife the limiting factor of your launch is your tires.

The Quaife really shows is prowress when corners are involved.
If one can spin both tires indefinitely (in a straight line) without a Quaife then adding a quaife accomplishes nothing by itself except for peace of mind from wheel hop & added diff strength for the previously mentioned drag radials and the increased strain they put on the drivetrain.

So I would start with light clutch slips from 3000rpm and adjust from there.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I am not going to tell anyone how to drive their car but I will say that 5000 plus rpm launches like I typically do are most likely going to shorten the life of many parts in the drivetrain. It should cause less wear than slipping the clutch will but there is a much greater chance of parts breaking. I am running a stock clutch and pressure plate in my car (60,000 miles) and with the drag radials and 5000 rpm launches I get no clutch slip. If you are going to slip the clutch you might as well spin the tires because either way you are going to have poor 60' times and tires are much easier to replace than your clutch.

99 T-Red SVT #1634/2760 K&N filter Aussie Intake Pipe Pro-M 75mm & Optimizer B&M Edge Shifter Quaife LSD Borla Cat back MSDS Headers/sho-shop Y-Pipe Dynoed at 184.2 HP & 157.2 TQ 14.53@94.15
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I've got a grizzly OEM style clutch pressing against a Fidanza flywheel. Unfortuantely, I'm still on my stock Comp T/A tires. I only plan on doing a couple of runs, so if I need to abuse the drivetrain a little to get the best time, so be it. I'm just interested in some advice as to how to get the best 60' time.

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I'm running a Quaife, stock clutch (with about 80 - 90 k miles on it), and Potenza RE730 tires. And 3L, etc. I launch at 2250 - 2750 (depending on the quality of the starting box surface).

I basically use the highest RPM that will get me out of the box with no wheelhop (or just a little). A few times I have had better 60' times driving through a bit of wheel hop than not, mostly because its a choice between wheelhop and bog at that RPM range.

If it's the first time at the track for you, you'll end up launching super low and bogging then too high and wheelhopping (or vice versa), and then you'll narrow it down to a good RPM after a few runs.

A good track will have little to no gray area between sticking tires and wheelhop (i.e. not much tire noise unless they break loose, especially with the Quaife). You should be pushng the limits of the traction available from your tires to get good launches.

Shoot for 60' times of 2.2 - 2.3 (or better). Beat my 2.201 on street tires and I'll buy you an ice cream cone.

O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by PA 3L SVT:

Shoot for 60' times of 2.2 - 2.3 (or better). Beat my 2.201 on street tires and I'll buy you an ice cream cone.

Does that go for everyone

Fast Cheap reliable Pick two
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
French vanilla my man.....a large french vanilla. In case anyone's interested, I'll post my slip here after this weekend.

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Mmmm, french vanilla. Yummy. Hey, if you can put down a 2.1x 60' time, you deserve it! (And no, Drag Radials do NOT count, in case anyone was thinking that. Real street tires only.)

Of course, I have no idea how to pay this debt I might get into, but with my luck somebody relatively local will call me on it.

Maybe I need to limit it to N/A - nah. If you drop a couple grand to better your 60' times, I'll chip in an ice cream cone for the cause. Anyone know a good ice cream shop near SZ2003?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard