Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#451749 10/04/02 05:59 PM
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
When I lightly depress on the gas, the engine sputters or hesitates like as if it was about to stall unless I give it more gas. This happens when leaving the curbside or starting from a traffic light. It used to also happen when I would turn the steering wheel while standing. It seems worse in the morning, but can happen when the engine is hot as well. During regular driving everything is fine. Could this be something simple like the fuel filter or O2 sensors? Neither has been replaced. The car has 67k miles on the dial. This hasen't been a problem (YET!), but I'd like to fix this.

TIA

lekmedm

'98 Mystique Zetec w/ auto trans 103,900 miles Kenwood KDC-MPV7017 CD/MP3 HU Kenwood KFC-6889ie 6x8" 3-way speakers '96 Mystique Zetec ATX 108,000 miles
#451750 10/04/02 06:30 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by lekmedm:
When I lightly depress on the gas, the engine sputters or hesitates like as if it was about to stall unless I give it more gas. This happens when leaving the curbside or starting from a traffic light. It used to also happen when I would turn the steering wheel while standing. It seems worse in the morning, but can happen when the engine is hot as well. During regular driving everything is fine. Could this be something simple like the fuel filter or O2 sensors? Neither has been replaced. The car has 67k miles on the dial. This hasen't been a problem (YET!), but I'd like to fix this.

TIA

lekmedm

Hello and welcome to the CEG,

I have a simmilar problem and I've also asked this question. My Zetec seems to sputter/hessitate when I accelerate slowly when at the lights or curb. Does not always happen, mostly when the engine is cold. The answers I was getting, was that it is a "normal" characteristic of the Zetec and not to worry about it.

Gives me one more excuse to have a heavy foot!

Stephen

96 Contour, GL, Zetec, ATX. 03/18/1996 Build Date. Drop in K&N NGK Laser Platinum Premium Spark plugs Niehoff Premium Ignition wires Wheel Well Air Intake Resonator removed. *Just the beginning* 2000 Windstar SEL K&N Air filter
#451751 10/04/02 07:08 PM
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
I just fixed this problem on my Zetec (Thanks to this forum.)

Try cleaning your MAF. This can be found just after the Air Filter Cover. Unclamp it from the Air filter and use some electronics contact cleaner spray on it. After you have sprayed it to clean it, unplug fuses #4 and #11 for 2 min. to clear the PCM.

My Mystique acts like it was brand new now!

'97 Mercury Mystique GS (Not mine anymore...) Now running a Toyota Matrix XR Red, 16" wheels, Sunroof, VVT-i
#451752 10/04/02 08:02 PM
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
Thanks for the replies!

Stephen! I always have trouble just accepting "normal for the vehicle" explanations when in 3 years of driving I never had any such problem. These little quircks can be difficult to isolate, but in the end proper functioning is proper functioning. Thanks for replying, anyway. I appreciate the opinion.

zaphod_fl! Being a newbie I have to ask a simple (maybe silly) question. What does MAF stand for? And where is it exactly? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you? Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any more ideas?

lekmedm

'98 Mystique Zetec w/ auto trans 103,900 miles Kenwood KDC-MPV7017 CD/MP3 HU Kenwood KFC-6889ie 6x8" 3-way speakers '96 Mystique Zetec ATX 108,000 miles
#451753 10/04/02 09:23 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Thanks for the replies!

Stephen! I always have trouble just accepting "normal for the vehicle" explanations when in 3 years of driving I never had any such problem. These little quircks can be difficult to isolate, but in the end proper functioning is proper functioning. Thanks for replying, anyway. I appreciate the opinion.

lekmedm

Perhaps what your experiencing is worse than me.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I've owned my tour for almost a year and it has always done it. I've gotten used to the slight hessitation when I accelerate slowly from the lights. I don't think of it as a problem, just a quirk.

Stephen

96 Contour, GL, Zetec, ATX. 03/18/1996 Build Date. Drop in K&N NGK Laser Platinum Premium Spark plugs Niehoff Premium Ignition wires Wheel Well Air Intake Resonator removed. *Just the beginning* 2000 Windstar SEL K&N Air filter
#451754 10/04/02 09:25 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by zaphod_fl:
I just fixed this problem on my Zetec (Thanks to this forum.)

Try cleaning your MAF. This can be found just after the Air Filter Cover. Unclamp it from the Air filter and use some electronics contact cleaner spray on it. After you have sprayed it to clean it, unplug fuses #4 and #11 for 2 min. to clear the PCM.

My Mystique acts like it was brand new now!

Good news for you but I tried that. I did find an improvment in the way the engine performs but I still have the hessitation.

Stephen

#451755 10/05/02 02:19 AM
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Thanks for the replies!

zaphod_fl! Being a newbie I have to ask a simple (maybe silly) question. What does MAF stand for? And where is it exactly? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you? Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any more ideas?

lekmedm

Sorry. It took me asking the question too...

MAF == Mass Air Flow sensor. It is right after the air filter box before the resonator. I can't post pictures (tried once, didn't work)

'97 Mercury Mystique GS (Not mine anymore...) Now running a Toyota Matrix XR Red, 16" wheels, Sunroof, VVT-i
#451756 10/05/02 02:22 AM
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
I also cleaned the connector to the MAF and immediatly reset the PCM by pulling fuses 4 & 11. Sorry you are still getting the hesitation.

I am getting the 'Mod' bug bad... Looking for an SVT exhaust.

#451757 10/05/02 03:08 PM
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
hmmm... Mass Air Flow Sensor... I'll take a look, but I get the feeling I'm going to have to peek in a manual to be sure of what I'm looking for.

Can anyone else help?

Thanks zaphod.

lekmedm

#451758 10/05/02 04:40 PM
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Its right after the airbox, it looks like a black square. There is a black connector on the top with a few wires coming out of it.
Remove the airbox. The tube you look through going to the throttle body has a silver piece going throught the middle of it. Thats the MAF.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard