Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Well, I've got 225-50-16 KDWS (that's the all-season) and am having serious vibration issues due to the block pattern on the inner side wearing unevenly. I haven't determined what is causing it yet (alignment feels fine), but these tires suck after about 14,000 miles. The 400 treadwear is useless if there is too much vibration.

Doug 2006 Mercury Milan V6 Premier Dark Blue Pearl Former owner of a 2000 SVT Contour
#450858 10/08/02 02:36 PM
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Well, turns out my old KDW's were so loud they were DROWNING OUT a bad wheel bearing! I had become so used to the tire noise I didn't realize how loud it had become until I got my new Dunlops yesterday. The bad bearing was painfully obvious at that point

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
#450859 10/08/02 06:36 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by Viss1:
Well, turns out my old KDW's were so loud they were DROWNING OUT a bad wheel bearing! I had become so used to the tire noise I didn't realize how loud it had become until I got my new Dunlops yesterday. The bad bearing was painfully obvious at that point

My bad rear bearings sound like I am driving on tractor tires!!!!

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by CueballSVT:
Well, I've got 225-50-16 KDWS (that's the all-season) and am having serious vibration issues due to the block pattern on the inner side wearing unevenly. I haven't determined what is causing it yet (alignment feels fine), but these tires suck after about 14,000 miles. The 400 treadwear is useless if there is too much vibration.

If the toe on your vehicle is too far out (the tires pointing outward from the center or toe wear) then you may get this kind of wear on the tires. Also, if the top of the tires is pointed inward towards the vehicle (camber wear) then they will sometimes wear feathery. Any tire, no matter how cheap it is, will not wear uneven unless your aligment or suspension are screwed. Alot of people who lower their vehicles do not realize that to do it right you have to replace both upper control arms (or get a good, certified camber kit) and get the vehicle realigned.

Just some friendly advice from a TIRE DEALER who is a firm believer in SUMITOMO tires. FYI Sumitomo made GoodYear's HIGH PERFORMANCE tires for a very long time in the past and they continue to make very good products for a very reasonable price.

And as far as I see peeps here getting around 30K miles from each set, I would assume paying $99 for a high performance tire versus $150 for a BFG is good on the pocketbook as well. Not to mention paying for actual quality and not name.

My $0.02

"My head is blank..."
#450861 10/09/02 03:58 AM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Ed98.5SVT:
Originally posted by Viss1:

My bad rear bearings sound like I am driving on tractor tires!!!!

OUCH! Man, I would suggest going over to O'relly's and getting the HUB assemply ($45 per side) and getting those puppies changed! All it takes is one NUT. After removing and getting the old one (in your case I am assuming the pieces) out, simply install the new one and torque the CENTER NUT at 100 Lbs and you're set!

"My head is blank..."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard