Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Well, winter will soon be here in snowy New England, and pre-Contour, I actually hadn't owned a CAR in almost 15 years. Been driving SUV's since International Harvester still made the Scout! (Owned two of 'em, now THAT'S an SUV!)

But anyway, been rolling around on big knobby tires for so long, I'm sure these performance treads on the tour will hate the snowy, icy roads, but I haven't a clue as to what put on for the winter.

Any suggestions, my learned brethren?
Thanks!

I'm here for a good time, not a long time. '96 GL Zetec ATX (R.I.P.) '86 Mustang LX ragtop (wants to be 5.0 when it grows up) '96 Dodge Stratus '95 Mercury Sable wagon
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I run Blizzak WS-50 on a second set of wheels. This will be the 4th winter on the tires. They are excellent in snow, but squirmy on dry pavement and wet pavement.

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Thanks for your input!

I'm here for a good time, not a long time. '96 GL Zetec ATX (R.I.P.) '86 Mustang LX ragtop (wants to be 5.0 when it grows up) '96 Dodge Stratus '95 Mercury Sable wagon
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
I'm giving Nokian WRs a shot on my car. I'm running 15-inch steelies in place of my 16-inch rims.

Should be interesting I've heard nothing but positive reviews on this brand.

Richard | Focused 24-7 2002 Focus ZTS...+275,000km and beyond! Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | SVTOA Redline Rendezvous
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by APT CSVT:
I run Blizzak WS-50 on a second set of wheels. This will be the 4th winter on the tires. They are excellent in snow, but squirmy on dry pavement and wet pavement.

Ditto (except this is my 5th winter on Blizzaks). Completely unstoppable in snow, but I give up a lot in all around handling (and speed rating). Those bad boys go on at the last possible moment (I've been known to install them while it is snowing, that's not fun or smart) and come off as soon as possible in the spring.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Get the blizzack Lm-22. They are good handling and also hook like a mother in the snow. Nice soft rubber to hook in the ice supposidly. I am on my second winter with them.

98CSVT specII yada yada yada 95 Mustang GT M&M road&track box HP stage one 60-mm
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
The difference in the LMs and the WSs are the LMs are low profile (55 or lower) and the WS are 60 profile or higher. I'd need another set of wheels or to have them mounted/unmounted on my stock 16s each time I switch. I have a set of steelie 15s I use for the winter. The added profile is part of the handling loss I go through each winter.

Next time I am due for a new set of snows, I am going to look into getting new wheels and use the OEM wheels (which are pretty beat up at this point) for winter driving, but that's some $$$ and I couldn't swing it last time I bought them.

F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
Look at the Mich. Pilot Alpins~thats what I have run
for the last 3 winters. Good deep snow traction, excellent on ice & packed snow roads, and still quite respectable on try pavement. Plus I have over 25k on them with adequate tread left! Not nearly as mushy as the Blizaks IMHO. HTH.

I got a set of Enkei Alum 15" rims on closout (40 bucks each)so I have a nice set of winter wheels/tires for the SVT. Good luck.

flyer

'99 SVT Contour, K&N, B&M, DMD, 'Foamed' Chassis
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Thanks everyone for your input!

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
well,

I guess I'll weigh in here. I used the Yokohama Avids last winter, and loved them. Passed every Audi I found, and every sh*t SUV as well. This winter I'm going with the new Kumho All-seasons. $60 a peice in 215/60/16 for my SVT (that'll give my the inch-plus back I lost from the BAT kit)

If you have money to burn...buy the Michelins...but I'm not paying over $100 a trie for my summer tires, much less winter. Look at the reviews of the Kumhos at www.tirerack.com I think you may change your mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard