Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Can running a 2.5l with an extra quart of oil for about 300 miles (~ 3/4 inch overfill on the stick) damage engine seals or gaskets, or will it just froth up? Here's hoping for the best -- the one thing my SE never did was leak oil. During the time the motor was overfilled, it seem to run fine, except for a momentary hiccup due to a bad plug wire.

When I was under the car today, draining out the mess, I saw there was a wet spot on the engine (passenger) side; however, that could have been spillage from the bum oil change done on Thursday. Any advice is appreciated!

M. Man
RIP '96 SE -- this car's troubles don't belong to me
'01 Eternal Blue Pearl Accord EX Manual
F
F
That amount of extra oil shouldn't hurt anything. All it would do is slosh and froth and maybe create a little more resistance on your crank causing a small loss of horsepower. Just drain some out maybe even go lower and add up to the full point. Alot of people recommend running an extra quart during a roadcoarse race so I really don't think it would hurt. smile

Chad Williams
chad5160@excite.com
'99 SVT Frost Silver #812 of 2760 Born on Jan. 12, 1999
C
C
it has been mentioned elsewhere in this site that to much oil can cause head gasket failure. fair warning.

98 contour gl 2.5 duratec
no mods
Get them the hell out of there! 3/4" over on the dipstick sounds like more than a quart over! And you CAN blow a gasket if you rev the engine too hard.

UBRF.org , Western New York's Premiere Automotive Forum.

Yeah, I got some bolt-ons.
Car Pics
Video of Brullen cat-back on a \'95 SE
How-to: Short Shifter for Pre-98 MTX

"heres the deal $2 grand buy in winner gets the cash and the girl and the respect. We'll race from 0 to Inf. until I win." - someone on the internet
D
D
You probably should not have any problems. There is a possibility, if the oil level is excessive, that the crank can whip the oil to a froth. If so, the air entrained in the oil doesn't make a good lubricant and can result in engine damage or excessive wear.
Was the oil foamed when you drained it?

Dan B.
W
W
I recently confronted a tech at my mother's work(Plantation Ford) about the ongoing problem Ford dohc vehicles and oil starvation issue. He stated that he was aware of the problem, and recommended that I run 1/2qt. extra. He stated that it most likely would not froth due to the small amount that is constantly in the oilpan, especially at higher rpm's. Oh yeah, I trust his advice, he is quite an auto enthusiast and personally owns a twelve second Lightning

2000 SVT
silver/blue #1699 of 2150
14.793@94.88
Sho-Shop off road y-pipe for sale($75)
D
D
To make the answer simple.

No Damage. Since none is present now and you caught the mistake.

I also think the up to .5 qt's over probably would not hurt in any event (I've run .25qts over since new - 14k miles) Especially at high rpm's like mentioned because the pump is pushing so much oil it's never pooling in the pan.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
C
C
don't oils have anti-foaming agents in them, or no?

98 contour gl 2.5 duratec
no mods
G
G
i know we're supposed to have 5.8quarts...will putting 6 in there hurt anything?

D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyCanuck:
don't oils have anti-foaming agents in them, or no?

Yes.
However, no amount of "anti-foaming" additive will stop the crank from whipping the oil up if overfilled.

-

6qts in fine.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard