Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#44058 06/27/01 04:36 AM
S
S
Drive To Milford and go to Hines Park. They have a top notch trans guy there. Last winter I had a big problem. I shifter hard and my gearbox was gone. I could move the shifter 360!!! Crazy. I broke a shifter assembly peice. Before I broke it 3rd gear ground and the trans didnt shift to good. Now about 8k after the new shifter assembly it shifts great. I now have 44k on the car and the trans feels nice (knock on wood. Go check them out. They are very nice. Ask for Mark and let him know that Joe sent ya. He helped me out a lot and was very nice.
Joe

1998.5 T-RED SVT
18" Team Loco 142's W/ Dunlop Rubber
181.2hp@6900rpm/155tq@5000rpm
LOTS OF MODS OF EVERY KIND....
...Am I a guru yet??? No... not yet.
#44059 06/27/01 05:35 AM
S
S
wow ive been through all this myself. im on my 3RD Trans problem now. ive had the shifter going in circles but not into any gear.. "got a new trans for that." I put that in quotes because i dont believe they put a new one in. That was the second problem. First one was the number 3 and 4 sync rolls went bad, had a rebuild on that. Now its back home at the delearship for service number 3. Waiting to hear this now.. i loive my car but the service people are jerks, and this trans problems is really getting old frown

99 svt contour
-its fast. period.
91 mustang gt
-its faster. period.
86 Buick Grand National
- its way faster, double period!
#44060 06/27/01 06:35 AM
N
N
Hello all,

I had similar shifting problems also. My tranny would grind when going into 4th and it was difficult to go into certain gears. My problem was my mounts, They kept breaking...even with the front mount insert which i think is garbadge. To solve this problem i stuffed the openings of the mounts with hard rubber and then i used something called "Window Weld", it is a very strong Polyurathane that comes in a tube. I used this to fill the remaing spaces in the mount. I also used the window weld for the side mounts and rear mount, works excellent just as strong as a solid mount but no vibration. Now my tranny or motor does not move on hard launches. Window Weld in my area cost about $12 at my local auto parts store.

Nick10@onebox.com
98 Svt/Silver frost
Reinforced engine mounts
B&M Shifter
KKM intake
custom exhaust
Stage 2 axles
Omp strut brace
Ground-control/koni suspension
Mirko front spoiler
Quaife "Waiting to be installed"
Pre 98 console
#44061 06/27/01 01:03 PM
S
steener Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Steve (xchang)-

Thanks for the tip re: the shift shaft bolt...I'll pass that on to the dealer. They've adjusted the shift cables numerous times, and, I would assume, the fork as well.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a clutch problem at work here....although that would not explain the occasions when I get it into what feels like first or reverse, but get grinding when I release the clutch.

Anyway, the quest continues!

Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760
#44062 06/27/01 01:47 PM
X
X
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT Contour 3:
xchang
You're right, I dropped mine off at the dealer today and by 5pm they called and told me this was the problem and fixed it. I go in tomorrow to see how much better it is.

It'll shift a WHOLE lot better. A bit notchy at first, but like I said, better then grinding. laugh Good advise... VOTE! laugh Hehe... I've gone in twice, once for the synchros and gears getting replaced... and then this bolt. Everything feels like it did when I got it. laugh

"I sense much beer in you....
Beer leads to intoxication, intoxication leads to hang over, hang over leads to suffering....., suffering leads to the dark side." -Chineseman 3:16

Steve Chang
99 Silver SVT #196 "ExtrudeHone"
Sponsored by Street-Concepts
174.2 fwhp @ 150.7 ft/lbs (218 hp @ crank) - Pre-Headers
SVT/SHO Society Vice President
XChang Designs
#44063 06/28/01 08:30 PM
S
steener Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Welcome to the twilight zone....

I had a call from my Ford dealer today to let me know the good people at Ford HQ have revised the MTX-75 yet again, and this revision, supposedly, is intended to address exactly the problem I and another SVT owner in Ottawa have been having (won't go into 1st or reverse from a stop).

I mentioned the shift shaft bolt, and the service guy said he wasn't sure about that. He says on jobs like this, the local techs are forbidden from opening the tranny (!!), so they have no way of knowing whether the shaft bolt is the problem.

So...soon, I shall have transmission number 3 (not counting the original)

Someday, I shall look back on all this b-s and smile, but for the moment, it's getting to be a real pain in the bum. (pardon my explicit language; I'm very upset)

Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760
#44064 06/28/01 08:49 PM
X
X
The Shift Shaft bolt isn't in the tanny case. It on the Shift Selector. Its not a bolt in the input or output shafts. Kinda weird they said they are not authorized to open a tranny. They didn't open it on this last visit and got fixed. Strange... but good luck with the new tranny.. laugh

"I sense much beer in you....
Beer leads to intoxication, intoxication leads to hang over, hang over leads to suffering....., suffering leads to the dark side." -Chineseman 3:16

Steve Chang
99 Silver SVT #196 "ExtrudeHone"
Sponsored by Street-Concepts
174.2 fwhp @ 150.7 ft/lbs (218 hp @ crank) - Pre-Headers
SVT/SHO Society Vice President
XChang Designs
#44065 06/29/01 12:47 PM
S
steener Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks...I'll bring allthis stuff to the dealer's attention when I go in for the next transmission. Maybe it'll save everybody a lot of grief.

The funniest thing about this is that the "lockout" happens only when the car has been brought to a full stop, at a traffic light, for instance. If I'm approaching a really slow corner (or doing a roll-through at a stop sign!), and shift down from second to first while in motion, it has never failed to slip into first as smoothly as can be. Go figure.

A fellow SVT owner here in Ottawa with exactly the same problem, (and exactly the same number of transmissions), has talked to an SVT tech at a dealer in Toronto who says his first suspicions would be the clutch release plate or the slave cylinder.

oh well.

Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760
#44066 07/15/01 02:43 AM
S
steener Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Car goes in Monday for what will be its fourth (counting the original) transmission.

Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760
#44067 07/15/01 09:35 PM
T
T
Craig,
Ship me a second hand trans and I'll build you one that shifts like 'silk' in all weathers...and stays that way !
Regards Terry Haines,Haines Motor Sports Inc

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard