ancosta Offline OP
OP Offline
A
n/m

Andrew
99 SVT
L
L
Uneven contraction and expansion as the rotor heats up and cools down during normal use.

------------------
Louis Wang
Austin TX
1998 Black E0 #3826, lightly modded

-Louis
1998 Black E0 #3826, lightly modded
B
B
Over tightening distorts the rotors. At first it might just be under stress, but eventually the stress can distort (warp) the rotor.

------------------
Jim Johnson
98 SVT

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
Elizabeth????

We haven't heard from you in a while. Somebody said you got voted off.

S
S
I have been having some brake pedal pulsation for the past few hundred miles on my 99 SVT (13,000 miles). The rotors were turned by the dealer yesterday.

This is interesting to me in that I have been very, very, extraordinarily, anally careful about keeping the lug nuts torqued to 85-90 ft-lbs.

Generally speaking, I don't do much spirited driving, and am fairly easy on the brakes, although there have been one or two near-panic stops over the past two or three months. The service advisor suggested this could have done the damage.(??)

------------------
Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760

Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760
B
B
A couple of panic stops should not warp the rotors. I made panic stops (and starts) every day on my Honda Civic and it took 60,000 miles to warp the rotors. You should try to get new rotors from the dealer since your car is still under warranty. Turning them at 13K is too soon, and will only make them more prone to warpage (because of less mass). Your best bet is to install aftermarket rotors since Ford is too cheap with their iron.

------------------
--
Barry Wolf
1996 Contour SE MTX Midnight Red, Parchment leather
Brakes: Bendix OEM size discs, Carbon Metallic Pads, Parking Brake TSB kit
Engine: New IAC valve, new EGR valve, new cat, new water pump, moose fix kit
Tranny: Redline ATF + Ford Friction modifier
Interior: Pioneer CD receiver, Pioneer speakers, Ford RS shift knob
Other: High beam bulbs in low beam position, new trunk vent
Current problem: leaking power steering pump

--
Barry Wolf
1996 Contour SE MTX Midnight Red, Parchment leather
Brakes: Bendix OEM size discs, Carbon Metallic Pads, Parking Brake TSB kit
Engine: New IAC valve, new EGR valve, new cat, new water pump, moose fix kit, K&N drop in filter
Tranny: Redline ATF + Ford Friction modifier
Interior: Pioneer CD receiver, Pioneer speakers, Ford RS shift knob, Ford vinyl floor mats (great purchase!)
Handling: E1 SVT Rims, Yoko AVS-I 205/55ZR16 (like butter) meats
Other: High beam bulbs in low beam position, new trunk vent
Other problems: leaky PS pump - fixed with 2 oz stop leak, 1 quart oil use per 2K miles
Mileage: 62K (August 2002)
C
Administrator
Administrator
C
Quote:
Originally posted by steener:
I have been having some brake pedal pulsation for the past few hundred miles on my 99 SVT (13,000 miles). The rotors were turned by the dealer yesterday.

This is interesting to me in that I have been very, very, extraordinarily, anally careful about keeping the lug nuts torqued to 85-90 ft-lbs.

Generally speaking, I don't do much spirited driving, and am fairly easy on the brakes, although there have been one or two near-panic stops over the past two or three months. The service advisor suggested this could have done the damage.(??)

The stock rotors will not take a turning without going under spec. This happened to mine with only 40k miles.
I had them turn them right down to spec. After a few minutes of testing the brakes, they warped really bad. They where pretty cheap to replace though. Lesson learned.

-Chris Hightower-
-Hightower Performance Products, LLC

(Oo.«xx».oO)
o xxxxxxxxx o
R
R
Right on, Barrywolf and Chris. Not only less mass, but uneven thickness (in drum brakes, uneven wall thickness). Iron castings used to be aged to relieve stresses before final turning, but that's ancient history. Rotors and drums should very seldom need turning, though shops love to do it. Good reason to watch remaining pad (shoe) thickness. Soapbox clear.

'98 SE V-6 5-spd ASB Silver stock
48K miles in May '02
Like it for Oregon coast canyons!
C
C
The actual specified lugnut torque for the Contours is actually only @ 64 ft/lbs. laugh

Cindy
1998 Black SVT #1129
DOB: 5/20/97
1980 Mazda RX-7
1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible (for sale!)
1986 Mazda RX-7
S
S
64? Doh! I was certain I had seen that it was 80-90.

Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard