Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#43844 04/12/01 08:33 PM
C
CIP Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have an 95 Contour SE with 53,000 miles. I just came back from Midas and they told me 3 out of 4 coil springs are broken. He couldn't believe 1 broke let alone 3. Never has he heard of anything like this before. Has anyone else experienced problems with their coils? Do anyone know if Ford has done anything about this.

#43845 04/12/01 09:50 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by CIP:
I have an 95 Contour SE with 53,000 miles. I just came back from Midas and they told me 3 out of 4 coil springs are broken. He couldn't believe 1 broke let alone 3. Never has he heard of anything like this before. Has anyone else experienced problems with their coils? Do anyone know if Ford has done anything about this.

The springs on the Contours (especially the 1995 models) are absolute garbage. I had the front ones break and 1 rear spring. The mechanic that replaced them, said he orders more replacement springs for Contours than any other car.
Mine broke at 88,000km (55,000 Miles) so it appears that your springs have expired right on schedule.

#43846 04/13/01 12:30 PM
T
T
I wonder how dangerous it is to drive with "bad" (broken?) springs. Thoughts?

I've got 105,000 miles on my '95 and have never had them looked at. I know they and my struts need replacing soon, but since I'm probably going to trade the car in on something newer in the coming weeks - I figure I'll just let the dealer do it.

How can you tell if your springs ARE busted? My car's beginning to squeak like a cornered mouse, but I think that's just a sign of expired struts.

------------------
-Tim, '95 GL 2.5L, 5-speed.

-Tim, Former crush: a '95 Contour GL 2.5L, 5-speed. Current love: 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 King-cab 4x4.
#43847 04/13/01 03:27 PM
R
R
My rear springs were replaced last week..broken in three places.Even found a piece on the garage floor.
Visual inspection is not good enough.The mechanics where I brought my car could hear the noise..but, could not see what it was. finger probing along the coil spring resulted in a broken piece being dislodged.
The antisway bar links were also shot to hell.
KEEP your receipts! I have reported the defect to Transport Canada.The individual whom I talked to there told me that the issue is currently under investigation.The NHTSA guys in the good ol' USA are involved also.
Note that the springs are not available (as far as I know) aftermarket...only through a ford parts counter.

stock 95 LX,6cyl ATX
#43848 04/13/01 04:32 PM
G
G
is this a problem with 95 SE's or just every 95? i have a 95 GL 2.5 with like 59,000miles on it and have not experienced any problems with my coil springs. should i be expecting it soon?

#43849 04/13/01 04:41 PM
M
M
Here's a Canadian article about some of the coil spring issues. It is not limited to Contours alone or 95 Contours. This corrosion problem affects several of Ford's products. Ford claims no faulty Contour springs have punctured a tire yet, therefore no need for a recall. If you ask me, it's only a matter of time before something serious happens because of these breaking coils.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/wheels/recalls/990226/2316182.html

#43850 04/13/01 04:48 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by tim935:

How can you tell if your springs ARE busted? My car's beginning to squeak like a cornered mouse, but I think that's just a sign of expired struts.

I had a terrible clunking sound coming from the left front wheel area when that spring broke. Every time I hit a bump of some sort it would clatter. I couldn't feel or see anything. The mechanic raised the car off the ground and then pulled an entire coil out from under the spring, it had just broken off. Just like that.

When the left rear spring broke, I found a piece of it lying on the driveway one day. About a 3 inch section, the front spring broke off a 7 inch piece. One whole revolution up the coil.

Yep. That's Ford Quality!

#43851 04/13/01 05:50 PM
T
T
Judging from the "sound" of your past problems Mongoose, I don't THINK I have a broken spring(s). So I guess my noise problem is probably just worn-out shocks. Excuse me.....struts.

------------------

-Tim, Former crush: a '95 Contour GL 2.5L, 5-speed. Current love: 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 King-cab 4x4.
#43852 04/13/01 08:32 PM
last month I had both rear springs replaced as they were both broken. I now have a clunky/clatter noise in the front...might be those springs as well...the springs are a ford only part..
does anyone have the transport canada number to call to lodge my complaint?

------------------
RWheels
95LX 2.5MTX
Modless

RWheels
95LX 2.5MTX
Modless
#43853 04/14/01 10:22 AM
T
T
Are ya'll sure the springs are a Ford part only? I recall seeing springs listed on the BAT catalog, but I honestly don't know who they were made by. Who knows, maybe they were manufactured by Ford of Europe and have the same specs as ours. Lovely.

------------------

#43854 04/14/01 04:29 PM
R
R
Transport Canada can be found at the www.gc.ca web site under Depatment and Agencies.The site doesn't appear to be open today, or i would have gotten the number for you.Also try www.tc.gc.ca
Once you call the department ask for the defects section.

stock 95 LX,6cyl ATX
#43855 04/14/01 04:39 PM
S
S
Would everyone in here who has suffered broken springs please post in this thread:

http://contour.org/forums/Forum3/HTML/002627.html

which I started. Read it and list your car. If I had not found the piece of spring that came out, there is a good chance that it would have fallen out on the highway and possibly punctured my tire, causing an accident. I am not happy.

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43856 04/15/01 01:45 AM
R
R
Transport Canada
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N5
or
1-800-333-0510 (long distance Canada)
1-613-993-9851 (Ottawa region & from other countries)

Safety-related defects
Vehicles may be recalled because of many different kinds of safety hazards. Typical safety-related defects include:

seat belt problems
suspension failures
electrical fires
fuel fires
sudden steering or brake loss
trailer coupling failures
stuck accelerators
corrosion affecting safe operation
problem with original axles, drive shafts, seats and seat recliners and windshield wiper

stock 95 LX,6cyl ATX
#43857 04/15/01 02:43 AM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Roger C:
suspension failures
corrosion affecting safe operation

Suspension and corrosion. That's our problem right there.

I'll be giving them a call on Monday. I believe 98% of problems and safety issues probably go unrecorded. If we get the numbers up, perhaps we'll see results too.

#43858 04/15/01 03:45 PM
R
R
try Tuesday.. Easter Monday is a government stat holiday.

stock 95 LX,6cyl ATX
#43859 04/17/01 05:46 PM
M
M
Called Transport Canada today. Added my complaint to their database.

I had replaced the two front springs 10 months ago. Today when I had the tires rotated, I saw both rear springs broken in at least 3 spots each!

#43860 04/17/01 08:20 PM
I just got off the phone with transport canada and lodged my complaint. They said it is being investigated but there is no evidence that it causes a safety hazard. I am not going to hold my breath waiting to get my money back.

------------------
RWheels
95LX 2.5MTX
Modless

RWheels
95LX 2.5MTX
Modless
#43861 04/20/01 03:44 AM
S
S
Bump this to the top to make sure everyone gets a chance to reply.

------------------
95 Contour SE automatic, 37,000 miles

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43862 04/20/01 03:45 PM
M
M
I'm working on replacing my front springs right now. See post "tie-rod end bolt." Heard a noise jacked up the car and there was a 5 inch piece of spring!

Mike
'95 SE, ATX
76,000 miles

#43863 04/20/01 10:57 PM
Y
Y
I traded my '95 SE with 70,000 or so on it & the springs were perfect .
My brother's '95 SE has 145,000 miles on it & the springs are perfect .
Are we just lucky individuals ??? I can answer that for you ... usually NOT ! I think , like most of this stuff , it's just the luck of the draw . Don't even think to condemn all of the '95 SE's for having bad springs or that the springs are junk right from the get-go . The '95 SE's had a fabulous suspension setup , unrivaled by ANY other year "garden variety" Contique . It's all a gamble as to whose will fail .

Just my 2¢

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen
Go Redwings !!!

2000 Contour SVT Black w/ Tan #2137 of 2150 / built 2-4-00
Mods : ~ Factory DRL mod ~ "Powered by Ford" seatbelt covers
~ OF's TH fix ~ Audi A-6 Side Repeaters ~ Highs in Lows Mod
~ #885 foggies ~ K&N filter ~ Mondeo ST200 Badging & Shiftknob
~ Pre-98 Sails ~ Nose Bra ~ Trunk cargo net ~
Very Soon : ~ More "Mondeo-izing" and a TON of RE-contenting ~
My old 95 'Tour
Our new SVT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

********** Love Those REDWINGS !!! **********

~ #885 foggies ~ KKM filter ~ Mondeo ST200 Badging & Shiftknob
~ Pre-98 Sails ~ Nose Bra ~ Trunk cargo net ~ '98 Clock
~ "Glasspacked" Resonator ~ Painted Rear Reflector
~ Räzo Pedals ~ Custom "Mondeo" Windscreen Banner ~ Ventvisors
~ Lighted Moonroof Switch ~ Mystique Rear Seat Light
~ Painted Grille Ring ~ H&R Springs & Mondeo ST200 Struts
~ Mille Miglia "Cello" Wheels

My old 95 \'Tour SE ~ New SVT pics here
#43864 04/21/01 12:15 AM
S
S
If you look at the sheer number of problems with coil springs listed here and elsewhere, you would never make that statement.

Additionally, it is nearly impossible to tell that these springs have broken unless you actually remove the strut assembly from the vehicle or you find a piece in the remaining coils. How can you be sure that your springs never broke? Did you remove the strut assemblies (all 4) and inspect them prior to sale?

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43865 04/21/01 02:06 AM
Y
Y
I CAN and WILL make that statement over & over again ... because it's true !

And for your second part - anyone that knows me , knows that I am very meticulous with my vehicles and I know every inch of them . I was under my '95 a million times and I know that the springs were in good shape . I do all my own work on my cars (& my family's) . I'm an auto mechanic , I know my way around a car . My car made no squeaks , handled superbly and gave no indication of ever doing anything but that . We have a safety inspection here in PA that requires that you look very closely at things like that too ... do YOU have such a thing in Illinois ??? The answer to that question is NO ! So all things are not equal in your little quest to discredit me .

And I stand behind my statement about the early SE's having THE BEST non-SVT suspension . If you had half a clue , you'd agree too .

just my 2¢ ... again

~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

#43866 04/22/01 12:14 AM
S
S
OK- Stop all your huffing and puffing. No one is impressed.

Read this very carefully: These springs break in such a way that it is often all but impossible to detect the break unless you remove the spring/strut assembly from the vehicle and/or find a broken piece of spring.

Did you understand that time? If not, go back to the top and read it again. Repeat until you get it.

On the driver's side rear spring on my 95 SE, the break was near the top of the spring. If I had not found the broken piece

(see: http://home.att.net/~owstuck/Piece_from_D_Rear.JPG )

I would never have known my springs were broken. I put the car on jackstands, removed the rear wheels, and CAREFULLY inspeced the coils. I already KNEW the coil was broken, because I found the piece above inside the remaining coils still attached to the strut. I still could not see the break in the coil, even with a strong shop light and daylight outside. The spring was slightly loose with the strut fully extended, but seemed to be firmly attached at the top. I just saw the old springs after they were removed from the car today. The break on that side was at the top of the spring. The passenger side spring was also very rusty in the same area, and would most likely have broken there very soon. These breaks/rust CANNOT be seen with the strut/spring installed on the vehicle. It doesn't matter what kind of background you have. It doesn't matter how careful or meticulous you are with your car. This is not your fault. I also worked as a mechanic for a number of years before taking my current job. I am far from inexperienced in automotive repair.

Now, I have a few questions for you: Again, did you remove the strut/spring assembly before the sale of the cars you mentioned to verify the springs were not broken?

Does the PA inspection include the removal of the rear spring/strut assembly to verify that the springs are not broken?

My guess is that the answer to both questions is no, in which case your statements mean exactly jack.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43867 04/22/01 01:34 AM
Y
Y
OK - Whatever

You're right ... how's that make you feel ??? Better ???

I'm not gonna argue with you any further ... you tire me . Have a nice day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

#43868 04/22/01 03:05 AM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Y2KMondeoSVT:
OK - Whatever

You're right ... how's that make you feel ??? Better ???

I'm not gonna argue with you any further ... you tire me . Have a nice day

Y2KMondeoSVT,
I don't think that Sandman333 was trying to insult you. I just think that he was saying that it is hard to tell the springs are broke. I am sure he did not know you were a mechanic, and did not know your expertise. He was saying that the average shade tree mechanic would have a hard time diagnosing these broken springs.
I didn't know mine were broke till I read all these posts and decided to check mine. They were broken at the bottom of my spring and it was still a little hard to see. Even with mine being broken at the bottom, I wouldn't have seen them it I wasn't looking for them to be broke.
I am not taking sides here, I just think there was some misunderstanding. So lets all try and get along. ok? :-)

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Ted
tdavidk76@hotmail.com
'95 SE • DOB-4/20/95 • every option • Champagne • Duratec • MTX.
Mods: Taylor wires • Bosch +4 • Eibach/Sachs Super Gas (half done) • rear BAT urethane bushings • SVT air box (thanx Dom!) • fogs w/parks • 885 50w fog bulbs • Ray's THF • rear dome • lighted moonroof switch(thanx again Dom!) • tranny cocktail • minor stereo mods.
Yet to install: Front Eibach/Sachs • Front BAT urethane swaybar bushings.
#43869 04/22/01 03:05 AM
S
S
Obviously you think that you are some type of super-human mechanic and can spot any and all problems, even if impossible to see. All I am saying is that it is not your fault if you did not spot the broken springs, if they were indeed broken.

The point is that there is an extra-ordinarily high number of cars (especially 95's) that have suffered broken springs. This leads to the conclusion that Ford used defective springs (poor material), or the design was faulty. Either way, there is a problem. My car had 36,000 miles when I noticed both rear coils broken. They had likely been broken since before I bought it at 24,200. Are you going to tell me that ANY car should break it's coil springs at 24,000 miles and not be questioned as defective, especially given the number of complaints that are listed here and at the NHTSA site? Please!

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43870 04/22/01 03:08 AM
T
T
OOPS! Looks like I was a little slow in trying to make the peace! LOL

------------------
Ted
Garfield Hts.,OH
'95 SE,Champagne,Duratec,MTX,fogs w/parks,Ray's THF,rear dome,lighted moonroof switch(thanx Dom!),tranny cocktail,minor stereo mods.

[This message has been edited by tdavidk (edited April 21, 2001).]

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Ted
tdavidk76@hotmail.com
Mods: Taylor wires • Bosch +4 • Eibach/Sachs Super Gas (half done) • rear BAT urethane bushings • SVT air box (thanx Dom!) • fogs w/parks • 885 50w fog bulbs • Ray's THF • rear dome • lighted moonroof switch(thanx again Dom!) • tranny cocktail • minor stereo mods.
#43871 04/22/01 03:10 AM
S
S
David-

You're right, i wasn't trying to insult him, just trying to show him how difficult it can be to find this problem. Know-it-alls just piss me off.

One thing- I was trying to say that it is extremely difficult for even professional mechanics to spot this problem in many (probably most) cases. On my car, it appears that the passenger side coil has been broken since before I bought the car at 24,200 miles. That is what I call a defect.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43872 04/22/01 09:19 PM
Y
Y
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman333:
David-

Know-it-alls just piss me off.

Calm down slick , don't get your panties in a bunch . I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person .
I was looking at the threads on this problem , and was finding that almost ALL people that had this broken spring problem SAW the problem at one point . VERY FEW people that have posted in these 2 threads that are going right now , had the springs replaced just in case . I'm no superhuman mechanic , but I know what I'm reading here . Maybe YOU should go & look at the shear numbers of people that SAW broke springs ... OR found pieces lying around . After all , EVEN YOU said that you SAW the pieces ...
You're right at the top of my list of people that said they saw pieces . Along with Mongoose , mgbdriver , Joel_Blanchette , tdavidk , CIP , Roger C , mcastrosiouani and I'm sure there's some I missed . That's better than 95% of all people that responded with the problem . The problem exitsts not only on '95 cars , but others as well . Maybe the problem is just the age , the 95's are 6 yrs. old now . I realise that at 6 yrs. the springs should not be breaking , but maybe next year we'll see a lot of 96's breaking , then the next year we'll see the 97's having troubles . Just wait & see . Maybe the 2000's will have trouble someday also .
I'm sure that some have found the problem after removing the springs for an upgrade like H&R's or Eibachs , but a bit of VISUAL inspection will go a long way . That's what's nice about a state inspection . It makes people do preventative maintenance . I've seen first hand what drives on the roads when a state has no inspection (like Illinois) . People refuse to do a visual safety inspection of their own stuff unless forced to do so (by the state) . I have caught some broken springs while doing inspections , and the owners were glad that we caught it . Maybe some have been missed ... who knows ??? But if you look for it & feel around a bit , sometimes you'll find it .
I may have come across a bit gruff with my posts , and for that I apologize . But while reading just these 2 threads , you had a bit of a chip on your shoulder right away too . Before yelling at me & telling me that there's no way to SEE the problem ... READ THE POSTS .

That is all from me ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

#43873 04/23/01 12:11 AM
S
S
But if you look for it & feel around a bit , sometimes you'll find it .

Really, I like that. SOMETIMES. Well, Mr. Genius, my left rear only broke recently. At least, the latest break was within the last few weeks. When I get the pictures back and post them, you will see that there was a previous break all the way at the top of the spring, and that piece is nowhere to be found. It is most likely that this piece that broke off fell along the highway somewhere. It's lucky that it did not cut a tire and cause an accident. At least one complaint on the NHTSA site reported a roll-over due to a broken spring destroying a tire.

Now, had the piece that I found fallen out on the highway somewhere, I would never have know that my spring had broken a second time, much less the first time.

Also, as for your remark about future problems with other years, please! I have a 1995 Windstar also. It currently has 112,000 miles, and the original springs. These springs are nearly rust-free, and show absolutely no signs of breakage or defects. These springs are MUCH easier to inspect due to the design of the vehicle. I can be sure that they are ok, whereas no one can be sure that the Contour springs are ok without removing the spring/strut assembly. Why can't you get that through your thick skull? I can't currently do a search of the NHTSA site for complaints of coil spring breakage on 1995 Windstars due to NHTSA updating their site. However, I would be willing to wager a bet that there are very few to no complaints of this problem on the Windstar.

Additionaly, my vehicle only has 37,000 miles. There is no way that the coil springs should break at that mileage unless the car was repeatedly dropped on its wheels. I seriously doubt that is the case.

Last, according to your way of thinking, we would never get the manufacturer to recall anything (ie, it is just the luck of the draw). Well, that is total bullsh!t! We need an investigation started before even one more person is killed/injured by this. There is a preponderance of evidence here that suggests there is a problem. All you have to do is open your eyes and look.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sandman333 (edited April 22, 2001).]

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43874 04/23/01 12:15 AM
S
S
Also, if you look and actually read the posts in here, there are quite a few that checked their springs because of mentions of broken coils IN THESE FORUMS. THIS INCLUDES ME! How long do you suggest we should have driven with broken springs, because no one was blowing the whistle on this, so to speak? We need someone to stand up to Ford and force a recall on a painfully obvious, defective and dangerous part.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43875 04/23/01 12:31 AM
M
M
Today, I noticed for the first time a low, loud squeaking sound coming from the front driver's side of my 97 Mystique when driving slowly over some potholes in a parking lot. Now I am wondering, could this be caused by a broken spring?

#43876 04/23/01 12:32 AM
S
S
Oh, and this takes the cake on Ford's poor attitude on this subject.

When I turned my car in to the dealer for the springs/oil leak/trans leak/heater core leak recently (all under extended warranty), they told me they would not return the car to me because it was too dangerous to drive with the broken coils in the back. Ok, fine. I have no problem with that. I then told them of the extended warranty on the front coils, and that I would like them replaced as a precautionary measure, given that the rears on my car had already broken and the majority of complaints listed in these forums and on the NHTSA site were for multiple broken springs on both the front and rear of the car. The Ford dealer told me that it was Ford's policy not to replace these springs until they actually broke.

Let me get this straight: Ford will not let me drive my car because of the danger that broken springs present. At the same time, they would rather endanger my life with the other set of springs and save a few bucks. Hmmm..... does this make any sense to anyone other than Y2KMondeoSVT?

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43877 04/23/01 02:42 AM
Y
Y
Boy , it must be nice to be a perfect , all knowing , all seeing , ever improving , genius , rocket scientist such as yourself !
Does NASA know that you're not really busy working on the next space station ??
I'm glad you took the time out of your busy day perfecting your cure for cancer to stop by the CEG and voice your opinion !
I'm sorry if I hurt your fragile little (yea,right) ego by contradicting something you had to say . I've been on the CEG for years and don't usually get into anyone like this , but you need a bit of an attitude adjustment . You need to learn to handle a bit of criticism without having a brain anurism .
Once again , I'm sorry for my brash tone , but you need to get over it a bit & get on with your life ... as exciting as it may be , now that you've got that AIDS cure almost finished !

Over and out ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

#43878 04/23/01 03:27 AM
S
S
Um, that had what to do with the topic at hand? More irrelevant drivel because you cannot refute the logical conclusion that there is a problem with the springs, I see. Well, your attempts at insulting me mean nothing.

I have made logical arguments for my side. Your argument so far has consisted of, "it's just the luck of the draw." Well, I don't consider my life, or the lives of the people who drive on the highway with me, to be so frivolous as to leave it to "the luck of the draw". Maybe you do. I guess some people were never taught to respect the safety of others around them. If you are that self-centered, that is your business. I feel sorry for you. That is the only thing I am sorry for in my posts here.

Think about this: In every recall, there are a number of the recalled parts that will perform like they should. Perhaps you got lucky. The reason for the recall is that there are many more parts that have demonstrated a propensity for failure, and their failure poses a significant risk to the safety, even the very lives, of the consumer. That is clearly the case here.

Now, let me ask you this question: Do you have children? (I do, three in fact) Would you trust your life and the lives of your children to these springs and their DEMONSTRATED PROPENSITY FOR FAILURE? I will not. I will replace my front springs with non-Ford parts as soon as I get the car back. I will keep my receipts in case Ford does get smart and issues a recall.

In all of this, I never meant to insult you. In fact, if you go back and read, you will see that on more than one occasion, I stated that failing to detect spring breakage is not your fault. Nor is it the result of a lack of any training. I am sure that you are a fine mechanic. That is not the issue. Your taking my statements as a personal attack on you, and then returning that attack, only serves to demonstrate your immaturity.

Last, I don't believe that any reasonable person will trust their safety to "the luck of the draw".

[This message has been edited by Sandman333 (edited April 23, 2001).]

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43879 04/23/01 12:44 PM
M
M
Hello???

#43880 04/23/01 12:53 PM
Y
Y
Quote:
Um, that had what to do with the topic at hand? More irrelevant drivel because you cannot refute the logical conclusion that there is a problem with the springs, I see. Well, your attempts at insulting me mean nothing

Well , it's one way to deal with your pure arrogance ... just like we handle trolls on this site . It seems like it's the only way to deal with some people , such as yourself . Don't get all high & mighty on me here ...

Quote:
I have made logical arguements for my side. Your argument so far has consisted of, "it's just the luck of the draw." Well, I don't care to trust my life, or the lives of the people who drive on the highway with me, to be so frivolous as to leave it to "the luck of the draw". Maybe you do. I guess some people were never taught to respect the safety of others around them. If you are that self-centered, that is your business. I feel sorry for you. That is the only thing I am sorry for in my posts here

Hey , I never meant that you should have to rely on the luck of the draw for your safety or the safety of your offspring (lord , help us) ! YOU came to that conclusion on your own . I just meant that maybe it's the luck of the draw that you got a bad one . More high & mighty ... safety of others & all that crap ... you just want what's yours , like every other american . And , yea , I was taught to be totally inconsiderate to others , not respect my elders , I was allowed to run with scissors , and every other one you can think of . I just love it how you jump to conclusions about my up-bringing . I'm FAR from self-centered , and don't feel sorry for me , I'm doing alright . Thanks for your concern .

Quote:
Think about this: In every recall, there are a number of the recalled parts that will perform like they should. Perhaps you got lucky. The reason for the recall is that there are many more parts that have demonstrated a propensity for failure, and their failure poses a significant risk to the safety, even the very lives, of the consumer. That is clearly the case here

Perhaps I got lucky ... I've said that to you before ! I know what the heck a recall is all about , I don't need you telling me all about it in a way to make yourself SEEM more intelligent , you're not fooling me .

Quote:

Now, let me ask you this question: Do you have children? (I do, three in fact) Would you trust your life and the lives of your children to these springs and their DEMONSTRATED PROPENSITY FOR FAILURE? I will not. I will replace my front springs with non-Ford parts as soon as I get the car back. I will keep my receipts in case Ford does get smart and issues a recall.

To answer your question ... NO . I have no kids . At least I'm responsibe enough to keep it in my shorts , instead of bringing numerous children into this type of society that you're showing me here . I know that it sucks that your springs broke , not my damn fault about that one . If you wish to change your springs with non-Ford parts immediately after getting it back , then that's your call . Are the new springs going to be of a better quality (maybe a revised design or something) ? Maybe you won't have to waste your time/money changing them .

Quote:
In all of this, I never meant to insult you. In fact, if you go back and read, you will see that on more than one occasion, I stated that failing to detect spring breakage is not your fault. Nor is it the result of a lack of any training. I am sure that you are a fine mechanic. That is not the issue. Your taking my statements as a personal attack on you, and then returning that attack, only serves to demonstrate your immaturity

I'm not taking your statements as an attack , just as a way to guage your level of intensity . I'm sure in your collossal 23 days of forum membership , you've seen how many people I have given advise to and THEY have been thankful . In turn , I have been thankful to people who have given ME advise . This is the FIRST time that I have been in such an exchange with ANYONE ! You just rub me the wrong way , maybe it's arrogance , maybe it's something else . I don't know . I'm not immature , just fed up .
Oh , and YES ... I am a fine mechanic . Thanks for the compliment .

Quote:
Last, I don't believe that any reasonable person will trust their safety to "the luck of the draw".

More "out of context" material here . And "high & mighty" content too . Good call ...

Man , I hate to keep responding to this crap , but you just keep giving me more material . Thanks ! Have a nice day !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

#43881 04/23/01 12:59 PM
S
S
Mysty-

It's very possible, hell, highly likely. Jack up the car (use jack stands), take the front wheels off, and look and feel up by the springs. You might be able to see a break or a broken off piece of coil. If you can't, completely inspect the sway bar, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Shake the exhaust around. Look for anything else that may be loose and causing the sound you are hearing. If you can't find any other reason for the sound, suspect a coil break that you can't see. Take the car to a shop and have them remove the spring/strut assembly and inspect it. Your life isn't worth taking the chance that the springs are ok.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43882 04/23/01 01:12 PM
S
S
Well, whatever. You seem to have matured a little since your last post. A little, but certainly not a lot. Your attitude that because you seemingly didn't have problems, therefore there should not be a recall ("don't even think about condemning all 95 springs") is simply pure ignorance. That is what is very arrogant and self-centered. Nothing else in this thread has been so. Again, you have yet to provide any logical argument as to why there should not be a recall.

My membership on this forum in no way has any bearing on my knowledge of automobiles. That was your pathetic attempt to make yourself sound more intelligent, and it failed miserably. I am concerned for my safety, and that of my family. (that was a really stupid remark on your part also, as I have a wonderful marraige. I would not trade my family for the world. I don't expect you to understand that until you have a family of your own. Parenthood changes you. Well, most people anyway.)

I am also concerned for the safety of every other Contour owner out there. It doesn't matter how good the suspension on these cars is, if the spring breaks, cuts the tire, and causes you to get in an accident. What are you going to have inscribed on your grave? "At least my Mondeo handled well, up to the point where it killed me"?) lol Now that is the very definition of ignorance!

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43883 04/23/01 01:17 PM
S
S
Oh, and Ford will only replace the rear springs that broke, not the front ones until after they break. I will pay to replace the fronts because I don't trust them. I will use non-Ford parts because I have no way of knowing if Ford has improved the design/materials yet. How many other Contour owners out there do not know of this forum, and are driving around in time bombs? How many should be killed or injured before we issue a recall? How responsible would that be?

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43884 04/23/01 02:50 PM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Y2KMondeoSVT:

Does NASA know that you're not really busy

I am hoping to get a job with NASA!!! At the NASA Glenn Research Center. It looks promising! I am keeping my fingers crossed!

------------------
Ted
Garfield Hts.,OH
'95 SE,Champagne,Duratec,MTX,fogs w/parks,Ray's THF,rear dome,lighted moonroof switch(thanx Dom!),tranny cocktail,minor stereo mods.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Ted
tdavidk76@hotmail.com
#43885 04/23/01 04:06 PM
N
N
Hey Sandman333, thanks for the heads up on broken springs. I am going to check mine.

Neil
95 SE Midnight Red MTX
Winnipeg, Canada
#43886 04/23/01 04:17 PM
S
S
You're welcome.

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43887 04/23/01 11:36 PM
Y
Y
Sandman , the change in my attitude (as you say) is because I was reminded of what a very wise old man once told me :

If you're standing on a street corner arguing with a fool , and an innocent bystander walks up and watches the two of you arguing ... How will he know who's the fool ??

Well , I'm standing on the corner ... and people are watching me argue ...

In closing , I apologise to anyone that has been witness to me totally wasting CEG bandwidth arguing with Sandman . This has been the first & last time I will do so , especially when there is obviously no way to get my point through .

By the way , I NEVER said there should NOT be a recall

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

#43888 04/24/01 02:32 AM
S
S
Well, now I will call you a liar. Your statement of "don't even think of condemning", and the last statement of your last post, makes you a liar. Your first statement certainly indicates your opinion that there should not be a recall. Now you are contradicting that. The really difficult thing about lying is that after a while, you forget the lies you told and they start to catch up to you (someday, when you grow up, you will learn this). Hence, we have your current predicament.

It seems the only fool you are arguing with is yourself.

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43889 04/24/01 02:56 AM
Y
Y
Listen to me loud & clear when I tell you this , because it will be the last time I say anything to you !!
When I said it was the finest suspension , I was speaking of PERFORMANCE , not in the tensile strength of the springs & their possibility of breakage and wheather or not there should be a recall . If you weren't so all-fired up to try to make a point of acting up , you'd have realised that . So I think you need to get your head out & figure stuff out for yourself instead of me having to spell it out for you . So once again , I am not arguing with myself ... and I'll spell this out for you so you know for sure (since that's the way you like it) ... I am not the fool in question !!! Although with each response I read of yours I feel I'm being "dumbed down" !
I'm sure the folks of Rantoul are glad to have such a studious person such as yourself on duty , God bless 'em .
Now go and find another way to take things out of their intended context & switch stuff around to suit your needs . Typical ...

I apologise once again to all other CEGers reading this , I hope you're getting a kick out of all of this drama !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

Sandman , I can't wait to hear what you come up with next . Lay it on me man ... I'm all ears !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Allen

#43890 04/24/01 02:57 AM
M
M
Guys

This BS arguing is not advancing the issue. Please calm it down and get back to the real issue.....broken springs !

'98 Mystique LS V6 MTX

"Unprofessional driver, wide open course."
#9 - Hitting .400 for ever
"Wake up the damn Bambino; I'll drill him in the ass." -- Pedro Martinez
"The MTX75 was not designed to be a drag racing transmission" -- Terry Haines
#43891 04/24/01 01:53 PM
S
S
All I have to do to prove my statement from my last post is to copy/paste your statements here:

"Don't even think to condemn all of the '95 SE's for having bad springs or that the springs are junk right from the get-go . "

and.....

"By the way , I NEVER said there should NOT be a recall"

Now, which story are you going with today? Those two statements are mutually exclusive of each other! A recall is performed because there was a faulty/defective part from the get-go, to borrow your terminology. It's true that you never said there should not be a recall, word-for-word. However, I'm not going to get into a semantics argument with you.

MarkO- Sorry for all this. I am just trying to get something done for those of us who are concerned for our safety. Allen, or whoever he is, seems to think we should all trust our lives to his experience with 2 cars, which he cannot even confirm that he inspected in such a way as to detect the problem I am concerned with. So far in this thread, we have a "possible" 2 cars without broken springs, and an overwhelming majority with broken springs. I tried to be nice in the beginning, but it seems that Allen had other ideas. He will simply not listen to logic.

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43892 04/24/01 02:22 PM
R
R
Aftermarket OEM type springs for Contour? Queries to a couple of auto part suppliers have indicated that they are available from Ford only.
Performance springs I do not know about and I don't see them being used on a regular street Contour.

stock 95 LX,6cyl ATX
#43893 04/24/01 02:33 PM
S
S
Yeah, I think I am going to have to go with some type of aftermarket performance spring for the front. Curious, the rear didn't seem to sit low before. It actually looked normal with the broken springs, especially compared to the other Contours/Mystiques in my area. (makes me wonder how many of them are broken, too!) Now, after the replacement of the rear springs, there is a noticeable difference in ride height. It seems that the front looks low now. Makes me wonder if the fronts are not broken too. Of course, Hill Ford will not remove the spring/strut and inspect. They seem to think they can find the breaks with the springs installed on the car. I showed them the proof in the rear springs where it was possible for them to be broken and not be able to find the break while installed, but they would not listen. I absolutely hate it when the service writer treats you like you don't know the first thing about your car. How hard would it be to have the mechanic put the car up on a lift and SHOW him what you are talking about? I understand the liability of having a customer in the service area, but I still don't think my request is all that unreasonable.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43894 04/24/01 03:44 PM
M
M
I too was shocked when I had the rear springs replaced and the car was so much higher. Since both rears were broken in 3 pieces I guess the car leveled itself despite the broken springs and it was not really noticeable until after the replacement.

Also... I should point out, that I became aware of the broken front springs because a piece of coil was bouncing around when I went over bumps. As for the rear, the broken pieces were jammed between the rest of the spring and there was no noise coming from either side. I didn't realize they were broke until a small piece fell on the driveway. Once the car was placed on a lift and the pressure came off the springs, then both sides were easily noticeable.

I would imagine there are a substantial amount of Contour owners out there driving with broken coils that simply are not aware of it.

#43895 04/24/01 04:40 PM
S
S
Thanks for your comments, Mongoose. This is exactly why a recall needs to be done. As Allen has hyped on, not all states have mandatory safety inspections (in IL, certain counties and cities do, including emissions, but not all of them). While mandatory inspections are a good thing, it is not reasonable to try to cure this problem by enacting nation-wide mandatory inspection legislation. Rather, we need the recall.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43896 04/24/01 05:42 PM
G
G
Let's see... The V6 engines blow up. The springs break. The manual transmissions fail. The moonroof motors burn out. The brake rotors warp. The water pumps don't outlast the wiper blades.

And exactly why did I replace my '89 Beretta with this thing?

2000 Contour SE Sport T-Red MTX, Mystique rear dome light, Blau Florida cd.
#43897 04/24/01 06:54 PM
S
S
lol, yeah, I wonder why I bought mine some times too. Good thing I have a warranty...

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43898 04/24/01 09:43 PM
S
S
Y2KMondeoSVT-

I went to your site and looked at your old 95. Nice looking car.

One question, do you still have a side picture of it; perhaps one showing the front and rear wheels. It may be possible to tell if the springs were broken by looking at the ride height on the rear. My car looked normal until the springs were replaced, judging by all the other Contours/Mystiques around where I live.

I would never have suspected that I had broken springs in the rear, as the car seemed to just "sit right". Now it kind of looks like a jackrabbit, all up in the air in the back.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43899 04/25/01 06:38 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman333:
Y2KMondeoSVT-

I went to your site and looked at your old 95. Nice looking car.

One question, do you still have a side picture of it; perhaps one showing the front and rear wheels. It may be possible to tell if the springs were broken by looking at the ride height on the rear. My car looked normal until the springs were replaced, judging by all the other Contours/Mystiques around where I live.

I would never have suspected that I had broken springs in the rear, as the car seemed to just "sit right". Now it kind of looks like a jackrabbit, all up in the air in the back.

My mother-in-law's 98 Mystique looked all jacked up in the front for a couple of weeks. They've gone down to looking like a more normal ride height. Springs need to "settle" I think.

Joel

#43900 04/30/01 07:22 PM
S
S
Bumping this up one last time so everyone with this problem can get a chance to post.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard