Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#43894 04/24/01 03:44 PM
M
M
I too was shocked when I had the rear springs replaced and the car was so much higher. Since both rears were broken in 3 pieces I guess the car leveled itself despite the broken springs and it was not really noticeable until after the replacement.

Also... I should point out, that I became aware of the broken front springs because a piece of coil was bouncing around when I went over bumps. As for the rear, the broken pieces were jammed between the rest of the spring and there was no noise coming from either side. I didn't realize they were broke until a small piece fell on the driveway. Once the car was placed on a lift and the pressure came off the springs, then both sides were easily noticeable.

I would imagine there are a substantial amount of Contour owners out there driving with broken coils that simply are not aware of it.

#43895 04/24/01 04:40 PM
S
S
Thanks for your comments, Mongoose. This is exactly why a recall needs to be done. As Allen has hyped on, not all states have mandatory safety inspections (in IL, certain counties and cities do, including emissions, but not all of them). While mandatory inspections are a good thing, it is not reasonable to try to cure this problem by enacting nation-wide mandatory inspection legislation. Rather, we need the recall.

------------------
95 Contour SE automatic, 37,000 miles

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43896 04/24/01 05:42 PM
G
G
Let's see... The V6 engines blow up. The springs break. The manual transmissions fail. The moonroof motors burn out. The brake rotors warp. The water pumps don't outlast the wiper blades.

And exactly why did I replace my '89 Beretta with this thing?

2000 Contour SE Sport T-Red MTX, Mystique rear dome light, Blau Florida cd.
#43897 04/24/01 06:54 PM
S
S
lol, yeah, I wonder why I bought mine some times too. Good thing I have a warranty...

------------------

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43898 04/24/01 09:43 PM
S
S
Y2KMondeoSVT-

I went to your site and looked at your old 95. Nice looking car.

One question, do you still have a side picture of it; perhaps one showing the front and rear wheels. It may be possible to tell if the springs were broken by looking at the ride height on the rear. My car looked normal until the springs were replaced, judging by all the other Contours/Mystiques around where I live.

I would never have suspected that I had broken springs in the rear, as the car seemed to just "sit right". Now it kind of looks like a jackrabbit, all up in the air in the back.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
#43899 04/25/01 06:38 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman333:
Y2KMondeoSVT-

I went to your site and looked at your old 95. Nice looking car.

One question, do you still have a side picture of it; perhaps one showing the front and rear wheels. It may be possible to tell if the springs were broken by looking at the ride height on the rear. My car looked normal until the springs were replaced, judging by all the other Contours/Mystiques around where I live.

I would never have suspected that I had broken springs in the rear, as the car seemed to just "sit right". Now it kind of looks like a jackrabbit, all up in the air in the back.

My mother-in-law's 98 Mystique looked all jacked up in the front for a couple of weeks. They've gone down to looking like a more normal ride height. Springs need to "settle" I think.

Joel

#43900 04/30/01 07:22 PM
S
S
Bumping this up one last time so everyone with this problem can get a chance to post.

------------------

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard