Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
ok... ive searched a bit for a answer and myabe im just entering right info, so im sure someone here can give it to me straight. whats the difference between a turbo and a sc? price, performance, and how it works. thanks, i dont need the brain version of it... just something simple to know.

1998 Sport Contour, A4 2000 WS6 Trans Am, M6
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Let me see...

Superchargers make more power down low in the powerband, but also create what's caled "parasitic loss" because it takes engine power to spin the SC. Turbo's don't suffer from this since the flow of the car's exhaust "spools" up the turbo. Both the SC and Turbo produce power by shoving lots of air (boost) into your engine. The downside to a turbo is if it isn't done right you have a long spool up time and lag. Turbo's sound infinitley cooler though! I like to think of it this way, If I were building a 1/4 mile dragster, I'd probably supercharge it...for road racing, I'd probably go turbo. If properly set up, It's hard to say which is superior so it comes down to taste and application.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
What is it about a turbo's sound that is infinitley cooler?

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
The sound of the BOV (blow off valve)!!

'03 SRT-4 50 trim turbo + support
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Superchargers have those as well.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
You asked what the cool sound was....well, thats what it is! PFSSSSSSSSSSSSST

R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
Refer to my above post.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
1. Superchargers make more power down low in the powerband,
2. but also create what's caled "parasitic loss" because it takes engine power to spin the SC.
3. Turbo's don't suffer from this since the flow of the car's exhaust "spools" up the turbo.
4. Both the SC and Turbo produce power by shoving lots of air (boost) into your engine.
5. The downside to a turbo is if it isn't done right you have a long spool up time and lag.
6. Turbo's sound infinitley cooler though!
7. I like to think of it this way, If I were building a 1/4 mile dragster, I'd probably supercharge it...
8. for road racing, I'd probably go turbo.
9. If properly set up, It's hard to say which is superior so it comes down to taste and application.

1. Only true for roots or screw type superchargers. A centrifugal s/c reacts more like a slow turbo.

2. Yes & quite a bit too

3. They do rob a little HP by creating "backpressure so to speak" in the exhaust system, but yes are significantly more efficient than any s/c.

4. mmmmm.. BOOST!

5. Very painfully correct.

6. I too like bypass / blowoff valves. For ref - We'd have bypass valves (metered air system)

7. Tell that to the Pro 5.0 crowd. (among others) A turbo is more efficient and makes better power though it is much more expensive comparatively.

8. Compare a road racer with a roots/screw blower to a single turbo. Easier to drive the s/c car. A turbo car would need to lean into the throttle earlier to raise boost before exiting turns.

9. A turbo will always win in a "direct comparrison" on the virtues that it is more efficient. However like you said "different" setup variations will give comparable results.

I vehemently love & prefer turbos myself...

...and to answer the first question...

A turbocharger is a exhaust driven centrifugal supercharger.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I know you asked what made the cool sound, my opinion was the BOV. I never said the s/c didn't have one, just doesn't make the same noise in my opinion.... I like the turbo's

Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I haven't installed a BPV on my thunderbird yet (Why didn't Ford put one on from the factory in the first place! ) and the turbo still sounds really friggin cool...pssssssssssssssssssssss

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX

Link Copied to Clipboard