Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ANDYW:
I think the idea of OEM components is because most non-car enthusiasts take the cheapest route possible when it comes to fixing their cars. As for car enthusiasts, we willing put out more money for components that are better than stock!

-Andy

OEM does not mean bad. I think what you're saying is that some people replace the OEM semi-metallic Bendix pads with $6 organics, and then wonder why their braking sucks. You seem to say that this is what the ABS engineer is warning against, and that going to high performance pads/tires/suspension is OK.

If that is the case, then you have mis-comprehended, and you have also not read either of the tech articles very carefully.

The ABS is calibrated to a car that performs at level X. Deviation from X, whether positive or negative, can confuse the system, and lead to longer stopping distances in cases where the ABS is intervening.

That's what the guy is saying. (In both articles.)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
hey

this is kinda off topic but funny to me

I was messin with my wiper stalk the other day @ a stop light.

It was raining (rare thing these days) but I noticed if I used the "mist" function 2x really quickly the ABS light would blink.

NOW my car doesn't have ABS .(thus why good tires, pads and what not don't mess up my stopping distances) but I just thought it was funny that somehow the wiring harnes has ABS and wipers on the same circuit

A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
I guess I wasn't clear on the OEM thing! I wasn't implying that OEM sucks but that like you said many people will install $6 D-grade brakes rather than good OEM's! So the characteristics we are talking about only apply when ABS is being used! That's a rarity for me! Great thread!

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard