Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#436005 09/17/02 10:33 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
A few 'ponderings' on this subject......anti-drain back only helps if the filter mount position is above the main oil gallery & the base of the filter face upward or horiz....ALL engings on cold start up have bearings and crank in a 'metal to metal condition as the oil seeps out over night they contact,only way round this is an Accusump or a'snake oil' plating additive!!!!.....oil temp is the killer along with 'slow flo' 20W50 for example....50% of modern engine cooling is via the oil, in a DOHC motor far more 'exposed' internal casting area transfers heat to the oil vs say a pushrod engine.The Duratec raises it oil temp VERY quick....high operating oil temps,whatever grade,are death to an engine under load conditions.......my 2 1/2 cents!!!

#436006 09/18/02 02:50 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
oops, i've been using 10-30, castrol, non- synthetic, the book says no synthetic right?

export the imports
#436007 09/18/02 02:52 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by PA 3L SVT:
What's that famous quote? "It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Nail on the head.

This guy is just clueless as all get out!

As for the slam on Motorcraft FL-820S. It has the Pure One cartridge (which I previously stated) It is one of the top filtering medias on the market!

I strongly suggest you just stop while you are WAY BEHIND! I know I had no doubt from the beginning, no I doubt anyone else has any as well by now.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#436008 09/18/02 03:16 PM
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
......anti-drain back only helps if the filter mount position is above the main oil gallery & the base of the filter face upward or horiz....ALL engings on cold start up have bearings and crank in a 'metal to metal condition as the oil seeps out over night they contact,only way round this is an Accusump or a'snake oil' plating additive!!!!.....

I couldn't agree more with that statement. So those who are just slapping one on would be the thing to do for those who think their car's fast because its got stickers all over it. I guess being ASE certified doesn't count for anything. At least I don't force my opinions as the word of god and ridicule people for such a small thing as a typo. Younz can all do as you please, i know how my motor is going to last.
Hmm...the last time i looked at a duratec, the oil filter isn't upside-down, is it? yea, your a bright one and i'm the one who's behind.

#436009 09/18/02 04:07 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Dude...
the FRAM filters have been proven to come apart, clog early, and are just plain crap.

once upon a time Fram was a good name but not anymore

the Motorcraft filter is the *SAME* price, is rated very well and is a good filter.

I suggest that you do a little reading about oil filters.

http://www.dorianyeager.com/oilfilterstudy1.html

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart5.htm

I stick by my guns when it comes to my oil and oil filter choices

Mobil 1 5W30 for the street with a AC Delco filter on my GM cars and a Motorcraft Filter for my Fords.

IF the Mobil1 filter is on sale I will go ahead and get that instead as it is a better filter.

#436010 09/18/02 06:32 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
OK guys its 'Test Time'...if two of you can agree to do it. Take two filters say 'Brand 'A' & 'Brand 'X'. Weigh each filter before fitting,run say 3,000 and remove the filter,let it drain out oil overnight then weigh it again to see the weight of the crud it has over 3,000 miles....then cut it open and examin the element.......my 2 cents...what's yours ???

#436011 09/19/02 05:23 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by ajdulina:
Hmm...the last time i looked at a duratec, the oil filter isn't upside-down, is it? yea, your a bright one and i'm the one who's behind.

...but it is sideways. Same difference for a fluid & gravity! Turn a cup sideways and see how much water stays in it.

I honestly don't know how you passed those ASE tests and still are so clueless about the way things work. Guess they must have let the standards come down in the last decade or so.

So go on using a known bad filter without a drainback valve and continue to think that a 5w20 and 5w30 are equal at operating temps, just not at startup. Obviously you must be correct. To hell with the hard data that says otherwise.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#436012 09/19/02 12:18 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Looks like it hangs DOWN around 45-50deg from the horiz to me...fail to see how the oil can drain out in that position....

#436013 09/19/02 03:46 PM
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Your absolutely right. it hangs down. I guess some guys don't know which way is up. doesn't say much for intelligence, huh? i don't think that 5W-20 and 5W-30 have the same op. temps. because if you ppl. read what i wrote earlier i corrected my error by stating i meant to say the first number, not the last(brain fart). As for Fram, I've used it for ten years now without a problem and havn't heard of one till now.

#436014 09/19/02 04:05 PM
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
sideways?!? Hey A**H*LE, are you sure you even got a Contour? I don't see you winning any certifications here. If you think ASE standards are low, they'd have to drop it another rung just for you. Don't you know which way is up? Did you miss that day in kindergarten? I work on cars as a career. what do you do? are you some shadetree mechanic who thinks he knows everything? I'm not going to continue wasting my time on someone whose's beneath me. Is there anyone out there that would like to have an INTELLIGENT conversation?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard