Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Before the boards were switched over to this new format, I had told Terry Haines I was ready to buy the Koni suspension setup. Since then, I've moved into a house (not permanent) with a steep entrance to the drive way. I scrape the front bumper all the time. Im thinking about building a ramp. Anyway, it's given me some time to think.
The things I want from a suspension upgrade are: less squat, less dive, less leaning. I want a matched spring/strut combo, too. I really dont need adjustable struts. In fact, I dont really want them. So, here's my dilemma:
I like the Koni setup for quality and warranty, but it has adjustable struts, (something I don't want or need) and consequently costs more money.
I like the BAT setup, but I dont know how its holding up (i.e. BATs quality vs. Koni). Have there been any flukes or flaws w/ the BAT setup?
Also, I dont want to be an ass and tell Terry Im going to buy, then not buy. Im sure he gets plenty of that, and I dont want to be added to that list. Ill PM Terry and see if the Koni setup can come w/ non-adjustable struts (the Red Koni struts).
So, what would you do?

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
BAT BAT BAT!

But it will drop you an inch plus. Mine has loosened up a little (in a good way) and is now nice and complient, yet sportier than the stock SVT stuff. I couldn't be happier, and I'm $200 plus richer.

D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by mcgainer:
BAT BAT BAT!

But it will drop you an inch plus. Mine has loosened up a little (in a good way) and is now nice and complient, yet sportier than the stock SVT stuff. I couldn't be happier, and I'm $200 plus richer.

So you're voting for "Be an ass...get the BAT." Hmm...It might suite my needs better. Still torn. Need more opinions.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I've had the BAT kit for about 6 months now and couldn't be happier. I didn't want the drop that came with eibachs, just too low so I went with BAT. I think the drop is about perfect, little over an inch all the way around and the handling is fantastic. You can defiantly tell the car is lowered but it doesnt look slammed. Overall, very happy!

-neal

99 SVT ~ Silver Frost ~ #2621 mods? a few...
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Hmmm...little more than an inch, eh? I think that's what everybody else w/ the BAT kit has said as well. JessMan in MD gave me a ride in his SVT w/ the BAT kit and it was very nice feeling.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
And a little follow up. I took my SVT in today to get the alignment set. It was waaaay off. But after setting toe front and rear, all 3 measurements were withing factory parameters...toe/camber/caster. I was a bit worried with the drop and camber...guy said good to go! I really like my BAT kit.

N
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
N
I've had the BAT kit on my 99 SE for almost exactly a year now with no problems. I've managed to put roughly 20,000 miles on the car in that time, as a point of reference. Everything aligns just fine as well, I had no problems getting it aligned in spec, in fact, according to the printout I got of before and after readings, the only thing out of spec when the car came in was front toe. Camber was just about middle of the spec range (-1.0deg., range -1.8-+0.7) As others have noted, drop is a little over an inch all around. I guess I'd have to say my vote is for BAT, though the koni setup would surely be very nice as well, and I'm all for sticking to your word, but sounds like the pocketbook is a big concern and why spend extra for something you don't need or even want?

Shawn Clone Jezabel- 1999 SE Sport V6 MTX- Severly wounded, comatose Silver frost/Black Exterior-Midnight Blue Interior The Firecracker- 1995 Mystique LS V6 MTX stock and backfiring like a rifle shot I have 3 loves, my God, Brittany, and my Car.
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
I'm all for sticking to your word, but sounds like the pocketbook is a big concern and why spend extra for something you don't need or even want?

Exactly my delimma... Don't want to be an ass, but I guess I hadn't given enough though to what I wanted/needed before I ran my mouth.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
If you really don't want to go lower why dont you go with a firmer strut only and stay with the factory springs. IIRC the struts are what cause the majority of the dive and roll.

I hit three wheel everytime I enter my driveway, drag the tailpipe a tad when I leave. You learn how to drive and it just becomes part of the routine. I never wanted to drop my car but got a great deal and did it. Now I love it@! Wish I would have done it sooner.

I would go Koni's. Adjustability is a nice thing for not that much more! $140 over the BAT struts. May want to hit the track and firm em up or firm up the rears if you have a load. Also the ride on soft is very cush, less harsh than stock SVT setup.Back to back in Koni/Eibach 98 SVT and my stock 99SVT w/32K miles.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Derek, for what its worth (I have nether yet) but I have been impressed with all Ive heard & read about the BAT. About 1.5 years ago, I called and got the scoup. The BAT kit is designed to be like /is the early Mondeo RS spec..the hottest factory setup. Struts are unlabled but made by Bilstein (quality should be equalto Koni) and matched to progressive springs of conservative drop. So far, this is the ONLY company to post pre/post alignent specs on the webpage. Too much drop may mean inability to get within factory spec without camber plates. And premature wheelbearing wear. But a factory spec system should be OK here. And, like you (I think) I am no expert on setting up adjustable struts & springs. I believe there is a strong potentail to screw up if you do not know what your doing. My plan is to go stiffen the chassis first, BAT kit, then if I want to dial in more oversteer or roll control then go to bigger rear bar..they are available in all flavors...16, 18, 19, 21, 22, and 24mm. Thats enough adjustability for me..

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard