Next Thread
Print Thread
#435568 09/12/02 02:51 AM
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
How are those of us doing track events keeping the brakes cool? I've tried to run ducts, but the packaging of the car really makes it a PITA. The only solution I've found is to run them under the lower control arms, but then they ground out under hard braking. I'm going to post this in the Brakes forum as well, but it seems that the looks of the brakes is the focus there, not the REPEATABLE, CONSISTENT performance upgrades. Any input would be appreciated, please give any ideas, none are stupid.
Thanks!

JasonS 2000 SVT #1119 Go: SHOshop Intake & y-pipe, Brullen exhaust, Eibach springs, EBC TurboGroove rotors, Corbeau seat, TRW 5pt Harness Show: Knauberized, Clear corners
#435569 09/12/02 05:06 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by JasonS:
I'm going to post this in the Brakes forum as well, but it seems that the looks of the brakes is the focus there, not the REPEATABLE, CONSISTENT performance upgrades.

Yup. That's why the top 10 posts include a great write-up on changing pads and rotors, a question about brake fluid, an idea for rear brake upgrades (with significantly technical discussion following), etc. etc. etc.

Yes, when I have racing specific questions about wheels, brakes, etc. I also tend to post them here, as well as SCCA Forums and maybe even at the Grassroots Motorsports Forum. But there is a lot of good info in the wheels and brakes forums, as well. It's not just a bunch of posers talking about painting rotors.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#435570 09/13/02 02:05 AM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Pads are the real key here. If you are running stock rotors and stock pads, I don't think your brake ducts are going to cool enough. If you are looking for a real impovement then you'll need to get some agressive pads. Agressive pads can keep their friction even at 1300+ degrees. Stock pads lose their friction around 700 degrees. Of course bigger rotors can absorb more heat and cool faster so that may be another avenue for you to look into.

#435571 09/13/02 02:04 PM
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
See my post in brakes...

I know there is good info there Roger, but when I have posted on this before, it has gone unanswered while multiple posts on calpier paint etc. continue.
Just some ranting, nothing personal...

JasonS 2000 SVT #1119 Go: SHOshop Intake & y-pipe, Brullen exhaust, Eibach springs, EBC TurboGroove rotors, Corbeau seat, TRW 5pt Harness Show: Knauberized, Clear corners
#435572 09/14/02 06:05 AM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Jason, I have had also had brake problems while at track events. I chalked it up to poor choices in brake pad compounds and excessive braking. I switched from Mintex A/F pads to the Mintex 1144 for an upcoming event (next weekend). I have also committed myself to braking less. At the very least, I'll just brake earlier with less force.

As for using brake ducts, unless your rotors are vented inwards I don't see them being much help (but something is better than nothing).

'99 Black SVT Join the SVTOA
#435573 09/17/02 03:30 PM
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
...very true.

Don't know why the SVT engineers decided to vent the rotors from the outside , when most manufacturers vent from inside.
i'm beginning to think that the brake duct idea would have limited effectiveness because of it...

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard