Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Journie Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
J
I made a upgraded wiring harness for my low beams.It runs the headlights right from the battery through a relay,and the bulbs are individualy grounded to the chassis.I saw these for $50 at autozone,but made my own for only a few dollars and some parts I had.The result is absolutly amazing,Im willing to bet the lights are twice the brightness they were before.I hooked one side up at a time to compare with them shinning against a wall,and the upgraded side is definently alot brighter.
If you want ot do your own I read up on itHere and Here .I always thought these things were a gimmick,but I am amazed at the light output now.
Just thought I would share.

A little quote from one of the sites,I did measure the same points and got the same basicly the same results:
In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the stock headlamp equipment. Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. For example, normal engine-running voltage in a "12-volt" automotive electrical system is around 13.5 volts. At this voltage, halogen headlamp bulbs achieve 100 percent of their design luminous output. When operating voltage drops to 95 percent (12.825v), headlamp bulbs produce only 83 percent of their rated light output. When voltage drops to 90 percent (12.15v), bulb output is only 67 percent of what it should be. And when voltage drops to 85 percent (11.475v), bulb output is a paltry 53 percent of normal! [Source: Hella KG Hueck AG, Germany]. It is much more common than you might think for factory headlamp wiring/switch setups to produce this kind of voltage drop, especially once they're no longer brand new and the connections have accumulated some corrosion and dirt

Last edited by Journie; 09/12/02 02:47 AM.

I AM WE TODD IT I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Please tell me you at least put fuses on those power lines!

2000 Silver Frost SVT # 1637/2150 D.O.B. 01/14/2000
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Do you have any pics?

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Nice find. It sounds like the wires for the lighting circuit were probably undersized as a cost saving without enough regard for the impact on the lights. The power loss for a given size of wire increases as the square of current.

P (watts) = I**2 x R (Amps squared times Resistance in ohms)

A slightly smaller wire will have a bit more resistance but will result in a much bigger power loss at higher currents. Now think what happens when the wire gets hot and the resistance increases even more....

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
J
Journie Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by t-red2000se:
Please tell me you at least put fuses on those power lines!

Yes I did!Wouldnt it be dumb not to!

J
Journie Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by Bridge:
Do you have any pics?
How do you want them?Once side stock the other upgraded?I can get some tomarrow night.

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Sounds like a good idea. Useful if you ever think about running HIDs also. I've seen a wiring harness that eliminates the relay and fuses, and uses a FET instead. I'm not familiar with this component, anyone care to indulge in some theory?

Edit: like this: http://www.autolamps-online.com/gasdischarge/Philips%20FETharness.htm

Last edited by louisw; 09/12/02 04:22 AM.

E0 SVT, lightly modded
E
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
E
Hmmm...wouldn't the reason they're brighter be because you now running them from a battery being "charged" at approximately 14.7v ?? No magic there. Might burn out the bulbs a bit prematurely.

...Ed

2002 True Blue Mustang 3.8 Ltr. V6, MTX
J
Journie Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Wow your a genuis!
No one said it was magic.Last I checked my battery wasnt putting out 14.7 volts,Genius.Ponder that one.....Genuis!

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Excellent information, leave it to the Germans to take the time to take those measurements.

I think the ultimate test would be to have someone rev the motor to 3K and stick a voltmeter on the plug. Can anyone see that not giving an accurate figure?

Timothy Grimes 98 SVT #2132 82 320i -Now armed with a hairdryer-
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard