G
G
confused

#585 03/11/02 06:14 AM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by skiin007:
My concern right now is how this vehicle is going to last.

I have had 2 Hondas that have combined almost excess 300,000 miles. The way I am taking my current SVT in, it is questionable whether or not it we realistically last more than 60000 miles. This is not taking away from the way the car drives and handles. In this aspect, it is in a class all of it's own. My only beef is that being an SVT, one would seem to expect some quality as opposed to quanity (i.e. performance).

Final Verdict: I will be buying a Honda Accord or some other import very soon.

Had the SVT but...Didn't last too long.

I have a 98 SVT that is the wosrt car I have ever owned. I have always owned Fords. 7 Mustangs and 3 Explorers in 20 years. But never again. Can not justify supporting Ford anymore after this car. Even J.D. Edwards is slamming Ford on quality.
Heres the big one, at 57k it spins a bearing and slams a piston into the head. The cost to replace whole motor was freaking $5,100!!!! Ouch. Car is about three years old and it needs a new motor!! (I always take care of my cars by the way so no neglect here). Ford would not do a dam thing for me. This car is literally falling apart as I drive it. I will never buy another Ford again. ****ty warranty period. If a Chrysler, Izuzu or Hyandia, it would still be covered! This car is a pleasure to drive, but would never recommend a Ford to anyone. I'm switching to another company, maybe German. Bye Ford, it was fun..

Other problems:
1. Both headlight assy need to be replaced because they hold moisture (from rain/washing) and fog up.
2. Both Fog lights always blow light bulbs. Don't even bother anymore
3. Power sunroof motor broke at 45k
4. Power window broke at 50k
5. CD play died
6. Paint peeled on both sides, out of warranty but I got them to piant it by complaining loud.
7. Door hinges moan. Ford body shop say's it does not look like an fixed up accident car so groan is just plain bad fitting parts.
8. Tranny linkage cable broke around 40k
9. several recalls for dumb stuff
Just all around poor quality. I'm thinking about driving this thing over a cliff and just cutting my losses since keeping it would only throw good $$$ after bad...

#586 03/11/02 07:22 AM
Z
Z
Quote:
Originally posted by NoFordsAgain:
Quote:
Originally posted by skiin007:
[b]My concern right now is how this vehicle is going to last.

I have had 2 Hondas that have combined almost excess 300,000 miles. The way I am taking my current SVT in, it is questionable whether or not it we realistically last more than 60000 miles. This is not taking away from the way the car drives and handles. In this aspect, it is in a class all of it's own. My only beef is that being an SVT, one would seem to expect some quality as opposed to quanity (i.e. performance).

Final Verdict: I will be buying a Honda Accord or some other import very soon.

Had the SVT but...Didn't last too long.

I have a 98 SVT that is the wosrt car I have ever owned. I have always owned Fords. 7 Mustangs and 3 Explorers in 20 years. But never again. Can not justify supporting Ford anymore after this car. Even J.D. Edwards is slamming Ford on quality.
Heres the big one, at 57k it spins a bearing and slams a piston into the head. The cost to replace whole motor was freaking $5,100!!!! Ouch. Car is about three years old and it needs a new motor!! (I always take care of my cars by the way so no neglect here). Ford would not do a dam thing for me. This car is literally falling apart as I drive it. I will never buy another Ford again. ****ty warranty period. If a Chrysler, Izuzu or Hyandia, it would still be covered! This car is a pleasure to drive, but would never recommend a Ford to anyone. I'm switching to another company, maybe German. Bye Ford, it was fun..

Other problems:
1. Both headlight assy need to be replaced because they hold moisture (from rain/washing) and fog up.
5. CD play died
6. Paint peeled on both sides, out of warranty but I got them to piant it by complaining loud.
7. Door hinges moan. Ford body shop say's it does not look like an fixed up accident car so groan is just plain bad fitting parts.
Just all around poor quality. I'm thinking about driving this thing over a cliff and just cutting my losses since keeping it would only throw good $$$ after bad...[/b]
So what is the point you are trying to say here??? you know how to type and the copy and paste it to 6 different threads?

Joe Hartley
"yes I know it's a MTX Zetec but it beats having a ATX Duratec"

Champagne 96 GL MTX some mods
dynoed at 114.2whp and 124.4wtq (pre CTA intake)
16.858 @ 80.76mph (yes it's slow but still faster than D Davis)
AIM: ZetecRacing
My Site My Profile
#587 03/15/02 03:11 AM
P
pvh Offline
P
In 99' I bought a new V-6, 5-speed SE because I couldn't afford the SVT. Less than a year later I found a 99' SVT at a good price and bought it. I had "squeaks and rattle" issues with the SE but nothing like the SVT. I have spent many weekend hours trying to hunt down these problems. This has truly been a love and hate car. It's been in the shop three times in the last six months (Cats died-Ford replaced, Mass air flow sensor and idle controller on me). Bumper sag was "fixed" by dealer but it's back. My brother bought a new F-150 with so many problems they finally gave him another one! Hope Ford Jr. makes some changes. I bought a new convertible last summer and didn't even consider a Mustang. What the heck happened to "Quality is Job One"? My next sport sedan will be from Germany. I'll pay more for quality.

99'SVT. T.Red. JVC/Infinity sound. K&N,B&M shift,MOMO knob,KVR rotors&pads.If it weren't for "squeaks and rattles" it would be true love.
01'Miata LS. Crystal Blue. Handling package. Appearance group.Wood interior accents. "The fair weather toy".
#588 03/15/02 02:06 PM
B
B
I've had a few issues, but am still very happy with my car.

To those of you considering imports instead, I think you'll enjoy the ownership, but just don't think that they are a utopia.

A couple examples: though fit-and-finish on a BMW is phenomenal, BMW issues more TSB's than most car manufacturers on mechanical components. I know someone will say, they are just being very open and honest, but I think it has more to do with being on the cutting edge of technology.

Another statistic: you are more likely to encounter a problem with a Mercedes during the first year of ownership than with a Cadillac or Lincoln.

No flames please... I love German cars. I would consider a 330Ci next. I believe their assembly is better than any domestic. But as far as long-term durability of mechanicals, well, I'm not convinced.

Brian Dors
99 SVT

#589 03/15/02 03:43 PM
L
Lee Offline
L
Other problems:

You can send them to Chris Hightower and have them customized for very little money. Or do it yourself there is a How-To Guide.

Get PIAA Driving lights! There is a Group Buy on them right now.

Chris Hightower is making a Brass Gear that will be of very minimal Cost.

There are tons of Contour's in the junk yards with good ones.

5. CD play died

Good excuse to get a real stereo.

If I remember correctly the car has a 5 year unlimited milage Paint and Corrosion Warrenty so you didn't make them do anything.

Umm. Mine moan too. I'm willing to bet every Contour with power locks does. It's beacause they are motorized locks.

This is the first occurance like this I've every heard of. Where you shifting to hard?

Just all around poor quality.

Well at least they recalled it so you didn't ***** about that. Oh wait you did. N/M

I'm thinking about driving this thing over a cliff and just cutting my losses since keeping it would only throw good $$$ after bad...

Yeah, that's a great way to treat a car that you've spent all this money on. Then you get into another one that costs you even more money. You weren't on the deep end of the intelligence pool where you?

If all you want to do is come in here and ***** but not listen to other's recommendations on how to fix the problems then go away. Most all of us like ours cars here. We know they have problems, so your not offering any constructive input.

Lee Cox
In life begins responsability...
Project Car
#590 03/15/02 03:47 PM
S
S
Who is J.D. Edwards anyway?

#7 is probably just a need to lubricate the hinges with a good grease.

You can pillage an enemy once, but a customer is an endless resource.

James Oerichbauer - PFPC Global Fund Services

Ross: 1998 E0 SVT Contour, Toreador Red, Konis, Superchip, KKM w/heat shield, SHO-shop y-pipe and rear strut brace, no res, ScotchCal, Moda Sport 16x7.5 wheels with 205/55ZR16 Dayton Dayton tires... more
#591 03/15/02 03:55 PM
M
M
how old is this again ?

Mike | 98 Silver CSVT
#592 03/15/02 06:41 PM
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy@SVT:
Is there anything I can do to salvage your opinions of us at SVT?...
Okay, since somebody decided to dig this thread out of the graveyard, and since things change over the course of a year, my answer is this:

Y'all could expand the SVT Focus lineup to include the ZX5. Some of us want a couple of extra doors!

Oh, and while you're at it, bring the Mondeo ST220 stateside. cool

I think most people's beefs revolve around Ford dealerships (I only take my car there for things I couldn't possibly do myself or at the tire shop down the street), but there's also a fundamental issue with people's expectations. IMHO they're a wee bit too high, and there's not much any car manufacturer can do about that.

Sorry to perpetuate this ancient thread... :p

//> //> //> //> //>
Garrick
Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97
She's stock. Why mess with a good thing? laugh
#593 03/15/02 06:51 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Are we going to throw this post a birhtday party in two weeks? wink

I think I said this before about two or three pages ago, but can't we just start some new threads? I think it would be a little more useful.

Troy

93 Cobra
#4336 of 4993
built 6/10/93

93 SHO ATX
built 6/8/93
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard