Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Just did this today on the rear logo while prepping the chrome and taillights for black paint. I've seen some people asking how to color their emblems. Here's how it works:

1. Remove chrome trim over tail reflector. On the 98+ model remove the chrome trim by popping the 'clips' between the chrome and reflector with a slim flathead screwdriver and pulling the strip down and outward from the upper black plastic. NOTE: When you 'pop' these rivets you are actually breaking the reflector since the two are glued together. No severe damage will be done as long as you are careful, but you will need to reglue the strip since there is no other way to take the trim off.

2. Push Ford oval out of chrome trim by pushing from behind with two screwdrivers using equal pressure. This is secured to the trim with three silicon drops, it does not clip.

3. Remove the silicon from the back of the emblem and sand gray side with 400 grit paper. The gray will rub off to blue, then the blue will wear away to clear. At this point you can sand with 1000 grit to remove scratches.

4. Mask the front of the emblem to avoid overspray. Clean and spray the backside in a color of your choice.

Also, if you want to paint the chrome strip while it is off, sand it with 400 paper, spray it with self etching primer, wet sand with 600 paper (optional), then apply paint and clear coat as needed.

As for the tail lights, I will be spraying them with clear coat mixed with very little black after 600 sanding them. I will post pics soon.

Hope this isn't old news to everyone! Either way I hope it helps someone.

-Rob

-Rob *Just turned over 100k @ 100 mph! 1998 Contour Sport V6 ATX w/ mods & DMD http://photobox.absoluteagency.com/home/default.asp?lackey
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Have you tried messing w/ the front emblem?

2000 Black SVT Contour He who says Nitrous is cheating just got beat. www.Fast4doors.com
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
I did my front emblem. I took a screwdriver meant for glasses and some cloth. I put the screwdriver between the chrome oval and the emblem and slowly pried, moving my way around the emblem. Ford used some glue, reminds me of silicone, and it managed to fill up the Ford lettering. That was fine because the paint didn't get under it, but in a couple fo spots the chrome came off with the backing plate. If you get close you can see it.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
can you remove the logo without taking the chrome trim off?

Shaun 1998 Volvo C70 HPT 2000 Silver Frost Contour SVT(R.I.P)
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by shaun95gt:
can you remove the logo without taking the chrome trim off?

I don't reccomend this. You can see my chipped up logo if you don't believe me. That silicone ain't weak!

2000 Silver Frost SVT # 1637/2150 D.O.B. 01/14/2000
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by OutlawdSVT:
Have you tried messing w/ the front emblem?

I'm doing the front emblem as you read this. It is a tad more tricky since you need to pry the chrome bezel and epoxy logo apart and there isn't much room to work with. I'm going to heat it up and push from the back some more. If all else fails I will pry it from the front.

As for removing the rear logo without taking off the strip: it can be done but you will certainly scratch or chip the logo. It is relatively thin, so I would really reccomend taking off the chrome. It isn't hard and it will go back on fine.

-Rob *Just turned over 100k @ 100 mph! 1998 Contour Sport V6 ATX w/ mods & DMD http://photobox.absoluteagency.com/home/default.asp?lackey
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
This is nice. I posted directions on how to do this on the old forums. Have fun.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Hector:
This is nice. I posted directions on how to do this on the old forums. Have fun.

here is one of hectors works of art. thanks again man. peace.

Oo (xxx)oO o xxxxxxxx o
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Just shattered my Rear Ford Logo

ohh well removed the SVT logo and im gonna put it in the spot that the ford logo was

Alittle custom action in work its looking kinda sweet

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard