Next Thread
Print Thread
#429505 09/05/02 04:18 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
OK, after riding in a Civic with strut bars (before and after they were installed) I am sold on the idea that they help. This thing had no squeaks, no rattles, just grip.

I need to find a good front strut bar that DOES NOT require any drilling if possible. Also I have seen a rear brace from somewhere that does not need drilling. If I could find these I would be most grateful.

Cheers,
Phil

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
HPP for the rear needs no drilling (contact Chris Hightower)..it's one of the rare mods I could do myself.
For the front, I have the OMP bar...but it needs drilling
and is a very tight fit to get around the a/c hose so I had
my ford dealer install it....You will find the rear bar
alone probably will do ok, esp for cutting down the noise.

2000 Black SVT #2639/2760; w/18 OZ Superleggera's, Pirelli Pzero Nero. MSDS Headers,Quaife LSD, CF DF, Borla,,chipped,DMD,Baer Track rotors. Lowered/HR and Koni's; HPP & OMP 3L Valves w/ P&P Heads (thanks Kinger!)
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I haven't seen a front one that doesn't require drilling. The OMP brace that I have requires a minimum amount of drilling. I was hellbent on keeping my mods fully reversible and was initially squeamish about putting holes into the metal but it was very minimal.

The rear one I have is the one you're referring to. It doesn't require drilling or welding. It's the Hightower brace. Don't have the link to his page at the moment....

Focus SE Sport Wagon (the wife's) Mazda3 (mine)
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Sho Shop's is no drilling I believe. You attack it to your strut bolts. No the greatest design but I works!

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by ANDYW:
With Sho Shop's thereis no drilling I believe. You attach it to your strut bolts. Not the greatest design but, I works!

-Andy

It does make a difference in some places. Andy and I put one on my LX last weekend, easy bolt-in, and I've noticed a decrease in twist in the body on some pavement transitions. Don't know if the steering or handling are *notably* improved, but I'm happy with it. I do want a rear strut brace, though.

Last edited by ANDYW; 09/13/02 06:33 PM.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Yeah, what Andy said about "not the greatest design"..

SHO Shop's brace ties the struts together. What you really want to do is to tie the strut towers together!

There's horror stories of the SHO Shop brace snapping the strut bolts off as well..

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Pascal:
Yeah, what Andy said about "not the greatest design"..

SHO Shop's brace ties the struts together. What you really want to do is to tie the strut towers together!

There's horror stories of the SHO Shop brace snapping the strut bolts off as well..

EEP!

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard