Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by horseydug:
You don't say, but is rear left spring broken? If so it must be replaced, but again not necessary to replace in pairs unless right is sagging.

Struts or springs should always be replaced in pairs!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Struts or springs should always be replaced in pairs!

This maybe your opinion, but is not Ford's requirement (refer page 04-00-3 of service manual). Remember this is 4 wheel independent suspension.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
BlueDevil,

How many miles on your car and is it mostly highway pr city?

I noticed that you have an SE.

General question for others:

The SE sportspackage has a tighter suspension, is this tuned by the struts and springs?

What does the Sports package give you in handling? (what did I pay for) I own an 96SE and love the handling, but the wifes LX does not corner nearly as well in comparison.

When doing suspention work what key parts would alter this?

In other words if i had work done to my car, would average struts effect the handling?

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H

L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
I agree with DemonSVT. Strut and spring compliments wear at the same rate, more or less, and when one side fails, the other side is likely at the end of its service life. Replacing one without the other can create unpredictable handling and lead to increased wear of the new component. That you suggest otherwise by reason of the 4-wheel indepenent suspension is highly questionable.

I'm not sure what that page says, but bmw factory service training specified that struts and springs always be replaced in pairs, both for safety, handling, and legal (CYA) purposes. I'm sure Big Jim can comment here on Ford procedures.

E0 SVT, lightly modded
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by louisw:
.. That you suggest otherwise by reason of the 4-wheel indepenent suspension is highly questionable.

I'm not sure what that page says, but bmw factory service training...

My comment on the suspension was solely to suggest that that maybe why parts can be replaced separately. The Ford manual page quoted says:

"On the Macpherson strut independent rear suspension, the following components maybe replaced individually ...
the shock absorber, rear spring, rear shock absorber bracket and spring retainer ... They do not need to be replaced in pairs.(emphasis added)

Not sure how bmw relates to this discussion but consider this: your point, if correct, would mean that under warranty if any component on one side fails then dealer must replace other side as well. Yeh, right!

Let's not confuse members by masking one's opinion as fact, particularly when it is contrary to mfr statements. We can disagree with the latter but let's be clear it's only our opinion.

B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Quote from Suburban Ford was a phone quote. They are examining the vehicle right now and are going to give me their own diagnosis.

Not sure if left rear spring is actually broken or just worn out. Dealer service advisor recommended replacing the right spring at the same time, for reasons explained by louisw. If I'm already gonna spend $1000+ on this work, I may as well spend another 60 bucks to get the right rear spring replaced at the same time.

Re: ride quality, I've never noticed any problems. Perhaps I just got used to the car driving the way it does. I haven't noticed any squeaks or leaks.

Car has 74,500 miles. It's a 95 SE. Wouldn't surprise me that some of these components have finally begun to wear out, as they typically do on Contiques - right?

To reach some common ground between horseydug and demonsvt/louisw, let me say this: Yes, Ford policy specifies that some suspension components need NOT be replaced in pairs, but it's never a BAD idea to do this and in some cases (such as when the vehicle is old and the parts are probably nearing end of useful life) it's definitely a GOOD idea.

I appreciate all of your comments.

Jason current 95 Contour SE (V6) MTX owner former 96 Mystique LS V6/MTX owner
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Nice diplomatic post.

Only you can make the judgement call re discretionary expenditures on 8 year old car, you now have the facts and opinions to guide you.

Please post again when their hands-on diagnosis is complete.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by horseydug:
...your point, if correct, would mean that under warranty if any component on one side fails then dealer must replace other side as well. Yeh, right!

FACT....

During the WARRANTY PERIOD, 3yr/36,000 miles, ANY vehicle will NOT gain enough mileage to warrant changing suspension parts in PAIRS.

Stop the quibbling and stop reading the manual as if it was a BIBLE.
Use your common sense here and better judgement.

You can replace them independantly, but if you've got high mileage you are better off replacing everything in pairs.

Your car will thank you, and your family will thank you.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Suburban Ford called back. They concurred with the Midas diagnosis. Appx quote $1200. They're giving me 10% off the parts which will knock off another 50-60 bucks. Not sure why or how Midas quoted me $1800 for the same job.

The only thing that I'm really electing to do that might not be 100% necessary is the right rear spring. I figure it's worthwhile - already spending 1,100 bucks, what's another 60? This way I have everything taken care of at once.

Jason current 95 Contour SE (V6) MTX owner former 96 Mystique LS V6/MTX owner
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard