Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I heard that there might have been a recall on a bad batch of clutches that went out in the SVT's is that true? if so have any info? Thanks

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition Blue Steel 99 Tropic Green SVT (Former Owner) #151 of 710 Born on 10/07/98 Have you driven a FRAUD lately?
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
No, no recalls or TSB's that I can find.

Who started this rumor??? It's not the first time I've heard mention of it.

//> //> //> //> //> Garrick 2006 Mazda6 Grand Sport wagon, silver, MTX I'll never forget you: Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Perhaps there is some confusion with the Taurus SHO which did have some clutch problems for the first few years of production.

The SHO block bell housing is not big enough to accomodate a clutch as big as it should be to handle the power of the SHO engine. To resolve the problem, Valeo, the biggest clutch maker in the business and now owned by Saches, designed a unique clutch that was an unusual size to use all of the available space. The new clutch was much better, but still not enough for serious performance use. The clutch was probably the weakest link in the SHO powertrain.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Perhaps there is some confusion with the Taurus SHO which did have some clutch problems for the first few years of production....snip....The clutch was probably the weakest link in the SHO powertrain.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT

Thanks for that, Jim. Hmm, I wish just the clutch was the weak point in our drivetrain. Instead, we have crankshaft whip (bearings), differentials, gearboxes. I haven't heard of many clutch issues with our cars.

The V8 SHO had camshafts that would snap.

Oh well, I don't drive my car hard, except at CEG meets! It's gonna last me.

-Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by kerrychin:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Perhaps there is some confusion with the Taurus SHO which did have some clutch problems for the first few years of production....snip....The clutch was probably the weakest link in the SHO powertrain.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT

Thanks for that, Jim. Hmm, I wish just the clutch was the weak point in our drivetrain. Instead, we have crankshaft whip (bearings), differentials, gearboxes. I haven't heard of many clutch issues with our cars.

The V8 SHO had camshafts that would snap.

Oh well, I don't drive my car hard, except at CEG meets! It's gonna last me.

-Kerry

Hhahah, yeah I thought the same thing and guess what. Toasted bearings. Good luck.

-Antonio

Now I hate America? That is a new one to me.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Too bad I didn't see this about 8 years ago, my brother leased a SHO back in 94 and the clutch went at 24,000 miles, he had a huge fight with them but they ended up making him pay the 700 bucks to fix it because a clutch is a "wear item" and not covered under the terms of his lease. Imagine that, 8 years later finding out that he did get screwed!!!

V
V
So what's the update on this situation? My 99 SVT is in the shop right now, they've been able to replicate the problem with the 1st/Rev shifting problem, and have told me it's the clutch. But they said Ford won't pay for it after 12mo/12k. I'm under 36mo/36k and I truly believe this is a flawed design/manufacturer defect.

Can anyone offer advice on how to fight to have this changed under warranty? Has anyone successfully done this?

Any assistance would be greaty appreciated!

-Vijoy
99 SVT
SF, CA, USA

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by vijoy_svt:
So what's the update on this situation? My 99 SVT is in the shop right now, they've been able to replicate the problem with the 1st/Rev shifting problem, and have told me it's the clutch....

For the benefits of all fellow CEGers, can you describe what is exactly the problem you experience with the 1st/Rev shifting?

Captain Bart 1999 Black/Midnight Blue SVT #1949/2760 Built on 04/20/1999 Received on 05/07/1999 Sold on 08/03/2006
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Cappuccino911:
Too bad I didn't see this about 8 years ago, my brother leased a SHO back in 94 and the clutch went at 24,000 miles, he had a huge fight with them but they ended up making him pay the 700 bucks to fix it because a clutch is a "wear item" and not covered under the terms of his lease. Imagine that, 8 years later finding out that he did get screwed!!!

The new design was probably already in place by 1994. It seems like it was about 92 when the change took place.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard