NOTE: This procedure is for a V6 Duratec. I'm not sure if the V4 Zetec is similar.

NOTE: Photos for this procedure are posted at http://community.webshots.com/album/48338095ulxYWh

Tools:
  • 1/4" driver and sockets (to remove/install TB)(I believe that I used 7mm, 8mm, and 9mm sockets)
  • Screwdriver (to loosen/tighten hose clamps)
  • Gasket remover (to remove TB gasket)
  • Stanley pick & hook tool set (to clean out small EGR passages)
  • Gun cleaning brush (to clean out small EGR passages)(I bought a .243 caliber brush at Walmart)
  • Mechanic's wire (to clean out large EGR passage)
  • Vacuum cleaner (to vacuum carbon out of EGR passages so that it won't go into engine)

Supplies:
  • Can of TB (throttle body) cleaner
  • Rag (to stuff in UIM)(this protects the UIM from getting carbon inside)
  • Roll of tissue paper

Parts:
  • New TB gasket (Ford part #F5RZ-9E936-A)(Cost: $2.00-7.00)

Procedure:
  • Remove TB (throttle body) from UIM (upper intake manifold). NOTE: Be careful when removing rubber hoses, since they might be aged and brittle.
  • Remove TB gasket (if it didnā??t come off with the TB). I used a gasket remover (looks sort of like a chisel). Once this is done, you will notice three passages at the bottom of the UIM opening (immediately behind the TB gasket).
  • Stuff rag in UIM to protect it from any carbon chunks that might fall in.
  • Clean out EGR passages. I used picks & a gun cleaning brush. I put down a large tissue paper underneath the passages to catch most of the debris.
  • After the passages are sufficiently clean, you can spray TB cleaner on the passages. You might need to do this a few times. I wiped up most of the dirty TB cleaner with tissue paper.
  • I then removed the rag out of the UIM and vacuumed out the UIM, the small EGR passages, and the large EGR passage.
  • Put it all back together. NOTE: Remember to use a new TB gasket.
  • If you have a P0401, then reset it.

Total Time: 1-2 hours. Most of it is spent cleaning the passage.

FYI: You might want to clean the back of the TB at this time, since it is already off.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil