Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I finally found the infamous EGR passages that are behind the TB gasket. Mine were totally clogged.

Here is a short pictorial on the cleaning process that I did over the weekend:

http://community.webshots.com/album/48338095ulxYWh

I'll probably be posting a how-to in the near future...

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Did you need to change any gasket?,
Any troubles I should be aware if I want to clean it too?,

Great job!

1998 Contour V6 2.5L ATX
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
good job man! I'm tackling the intake cleaning this weekend so I plan on getting this clean as well.

Hugo ------ 98 SVT - 53k mi - SOLD 04 Mazda3 S 5-Dr
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I cleaned the EGR passages that are behind the throttle body on my car. The job was pretty straight forward. I found the ports packed with hard carbon. I used a pick and small screwdriver, and vacuumed as I worked with a shop vac to prevent particles from going into the manifold. This cleaning took care of the CEL that was for "EGR not opening".

Anyway, the gasket came off intact. It has a metallized surface. I ordered a new one from NAPA, but it didn't come in the next day (as it was suposed to), and was backordered!
Since I was ready to put things back, I called 4 Ford dealers, and no one stocked it. Two parts guys said they reuse the old one! Well, I decided to reuse mine. I thinly coated the periphery with Permatex Ultra Copper, and reassembled. It's a high temp sealant, and it's in a non-fuel?fluid area. Two months now and seems fine. I know re-using gaskets are are not recommended, but if the gasket is in excellent condition when removed, and the correct sealant is used with discretion, it should be OK.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Excellent photos. Thanks for posting.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Good clear pics. Can't go wrong with those. Now all I need is time to check mine and see how gummed they are.

'99 Silver Frost.SE.V6.MTX Drop-in K&N / Masked rear Reflector st200/Eibach / SVT E1's FMS Wires / ES Rear Bushings
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Good job!!! I needed that tid bit of info! thanx

2002 Focus ZX3, MTX-75: A good amount of mods 2003 SVT Focus ZX5, Getrag-6: FS Stressbar Best mod ever to my tour: A Beautiful passenger seat filler, that is my girl!!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard