Next Thread
Print Thread
#421811 08/26/02 05:10 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Hi again, figured I'd post while it crosses my mind....

My SVT has a left rear door that is hard to open and close. The latch et al works fine, but when pulling the door open or pushing it shut, there is a lot of resistance to movement. It also stays in the same position if you open it only partway. I have lubed everyhting I could find in the door to lube, but to no avail. Anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
ussually if you lube it up that helps.
did you lube the flat guide rod that goes from the jamb to the door?
that always frees up my rear doors.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I have had same problem plus squeak on my '97. I guess it's the least used door on car and prone to resistance from corrosion. I sprayed the white Lithium grease on the hinges and "hill-holder" (my term) which stopped the sqeaking and loosened it a bit. It's still not as easy to open as the other doors.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Mine does this too. Not as bad as yours though. That door is used often on my car by the way. Lube does help a little.

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Which one is "left"? Is that the passenger side?

My passenger-side rear door has been sticky since the day I bought the car.

I even called the previous owner (a middle-aged, responsible sort of chap, who'd traded the car in on an SUV), who said he never opened the back doors more than two or three times, let alone inflict any damage on them.

I've tried all kinds of lubricants, and the Ford dealer's bodyshop fiddled with it for a day, but couldn't make it any better.

Funny. (Not funny ha-ha, but funny odd, you know?)

Craig 99SVT black/tan 2725 of 2760
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by steener:
Which one is "left"? Is that the passenger side?

By convention driver's side of car is the left side.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Yep, I have had the same problem with my passenger door. It gets real rusty every 4 months. I have NO idea why, I just grease it. But it gets annoying, ya know. Funny how Ford can't fix that. Cheap parts strike again! mahwhahwahwhawh

'95 GL White I've got mods.
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
This must be a common problem. I have heard of several doors doing this. Mine does the same thing. I keep it lubed with whatever I have at the time and it has gotten a LITTLE better.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard