Next Thread
Print Thread
#420087 08/25/02 05:27 AM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Well here's the problem. My 96 Zetec Auto, back-up lights won't work. Checked bulbs and fuses, nothing. What I do notice is that when I put my car in reverse, the license plate lights come on instead of the back-up lights. And also when I turn my lights on the license plate lights don't come on unless it's in reverse. I have no clue what's going on here can someone help?

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Looks like you have a short somewhere, however I don't know what you mean by back-up lights. The "back-up light" fuse is a 15A (not sure which number)...I shorted it out last week trying to put in door handle LEDs, and the short took out my door lock switch illumination (both doors)and the switch cluster that controls all windows from the driver side. I thought that was odd, but replacing that fuse brought it all back. So telling what you mean by back-up lights will help me a little more.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I would check for damaged wiring in the trunk area particularly at the electrical connector on left side of trunk lid.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
W
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
W
sounds like you lost a ground connection in the trunk lid wiring. When you lose a ground ALL kinds of things happen. The tip is that the plate lights come on when you are in reverse. inspect your wiring where it hinges into the trunk lid. Pull on each wire to see it it has broken inside the insulation or at the plug connection.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Hopefully your problem can be fixed.

I've been without backup lights since having my MTX transmission replaced under warranty 2 years ago. For some reason they still haven't gotten the part in yet.

'03 Saab 9-5 Aero
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
By back-up lights I mean the lights that come on when the car is in reverse.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Jens96Tour:
By back-up lights I mean the lights that come on when the car is in reverse.

Alright I see....then, like someone said, check your wiring for those lights in back. Perhaps you have a lost ground or crossed wires or something. Good luck.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
RE: mtx replacement...

That problem is more than likely, just a wire jumper that engages the reverse-lights. After having the MTX replaced, they (most likely) used the newer version of the tranny, and didn't buy the patch cable that adapts the pinout to your older OEM setup. Ask Terry about that, he can get you this cable, easily, IIRC..

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by midnghtflm:
RE: mtx replacement...

That problem is more than likely, just a wire jumper that engages the reverse-lights. After having the MTX replaced, they (most likely) used the newer version of the tranny, and didn't buy the patch cable that adapts the pinout to your older OEM setup. Ask Terry about that, he can get you this cable, easily, IIRC..

That's exactly what I need but I don't want to pay for it. I've been waiting two years for them to call and tell me it's in stock.

I may give in, but not until I call and harass them for not getting in touch with me.

'03 Saab 9-5 Aero

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard