Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Yesterday I go to discount tire, were I purchased my rims and tires at, to get them rotated and balanced. Then they tell me to come look at the spring on my car. The front left spring was cracked in half and the rear left spring was splitting! I couldnt believe this, so I dont know if the Ford dealership is going to fix this problem because I dont think my warranty covers the springs, just the struts. So now I have no idea on what to do? I am interested in dropping my car but all these different places are telling me that dropping it wont work, or coil overs wont work! I am just wanting to kill all these people, but I was just looking at the BAT handling kit with new springs and struts and it will lower it 1" and thats good enough, but I have no idea what else will work, can anyone help me out here?????

98.5 CSVT, limo%Tint, Helo Lotus 18's chrome, Alpine stereo, 2 ECLIPSE Aluminum 12's-Crazy ass custom design, B+M shortshifter,Chip, MAF,Kurtz- Rev induction. Custom grilles. Lowered with spaxx struts and H&R springs.More mods to come soon...
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
If you have to pay for parts and want an upgrade the BAT kit is a good choice. This kit is the former European Mondeo high performance "RS" spec parts that include matched German made springs with about 1" drop and Bilstein made (non adjustable) shocks. BAT has specs showing that the drop still allows alignment can be performed within spec (without camber kits etc). As far as I know, nobody has disliked the ride, nor had anything but praise for the set's handling. at $600, hard to beat. The only other matched set is the new Koni setup with adustable shocks, only one person has it but gave a very good review..$750+ish through Terry Haines. Personally I like matched spring/strut sets...

If you want more drop, Eibach or H&R, with either BAT or Koni adjustable. But it will not be a matched set..still, many will vouch for these combos.

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Oh, forgot..
For max drop..coilovers

Ground control (about $400) but not a true matched set, too much drop may risk alignment & tire wear issues..a camber kit is availabe.
Leda coilovers (about $2000), true coilovers, excellent, not cheap..

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Dan can you explain why the GC's aren't true coilovers! Thanks!

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ANDYW:
Dan can you explain why the GC's aren't true coilovers! Thanks!

-Andy

They are coilovers but not a matched strut/coilover (with struts custom designed to compliment the coilover rebound characteristics set like Ledas). Nothing against them, I prefer matched sets but the Leda is almost prohibitively expensive so GC is pretty much what we have for coilovers..

A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
They aren't true Coilovers because the the Coilover spring isn't specifically designed to compliment the Strut or that the strut's don't have the threaded sleeves built directly into them, ie cut perch and stop plate like GC's. Or am I completely off my rocker! Thanks for explaining either way!

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by ANDYW:
They aren't true Coilovers because the the Coilover spring isn't specifically designed to compliment the Strut or that the strut's don't have the threaded sleeves built directly into them, ie cut perch and stop plate like GC's. Or am I completely off my rocker! Thanks for explaining either way!

-Andy

Actually Andy, I can't answer your question, as I'm not that familiar with there design (have just seen pics). I "think" GCs ARE considered coilovers BUT they do not include "integral" struts that Leda and several brands for other cars carry.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
My left rear spring has a broken pigtail. I am going to have my mechanic do it at half the dealer rate. Apparently, there is a recall on the springs of some other Contiques, but not SVTs. Dang!

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

it will lower it 1" and thats good enough,

Dont forget Roush too. They are advertised to drop 1" but it seems it is a little more than that.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I think Dan Nixon just about explained the reasons you should by the BAT Kit. It's a matched system, and the spring/strut combo is much better than the stock SVT suspension (from what I hear/read).

Bro Check out CTA Motorsports , Chris has installed the BAT kit on his SVT and it's a very nice drop, the front looks about even with my H&R setup on my SVT, but the back is definately lower which is a good thing from a handling and visual standpoint. I think the raked look sucks (H&R is known for)especially being that it only adds to the vehicles inability to stay flat but rather dive on heavy braking and gives the car a lighter feel when entering any type of corner making for instability. As a die hard racer, Solo 1 & 2 + Drag Racing, you can take my comment as Fact rather than Opinion.

I'd highly suggest the BAT kit as I've only heard good things about it. I personally will use the BAT Kit setup. I was planning on going to LEDA's but than decided to disburse my money in other areas of the vehicle as well as my other race car. For the price they just can't be beat, in fact I think Chris over at CTA sells them for $575.00....

PERFORMANCE PARTS for the TOUR click here:PXRACING Homepage email:pxracing@aol.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard