Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#418683 08/23/02 02:22 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Hey all Vortech users. Has any one had a problem with their Vortech supplied chip? Mine won't allow the car to start, though any other brand of chip worked. Just received a replacement chip this evening and will try the new one out tomorrow.

I was just curious to see if I am the only one experiencing these firsts, bad chip, missing parts in the kit, mismatched couplings, supplied hoses that were too short, insufficient bolts of various lengths, etc, etc. I tell you, if I had paid full clip for this kit, I would hollering louder to Vortech than I already am.

#418684 08/23/02 01:37 PM
W
Back In Black
Back In Black
W
Mine came with to many bolts, the chip/PCM worked, but took 2 full weeks to get it from them.
-Mark

1999 Black-N-Tan SVT Contour #291 Check out CD338.com:: The Premier Ford Fusion Site!
#418685 08/23/02 02:32 PM
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
I was missing one of the spacers for the front cover/pulley bracket. I ended up making one of my own until I sold the kit (then which I ordered one from Vortech) after my spun bearing to avoid any complications with the sale. Everything else was there and in the right amounts. Only "extra" parts I had were those included in the kit for the Cougar radiator spacers since theirs are a touch different.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
#418686 08/23/02 05:37 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Congratulations, Chris! I hope you like!!

Vortech I had expected better from them...

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
#418687 08/23/02 07:50 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
So what does the chip do...just pull timing and alter fuel? Anything else? The reason I ask is I have an OBDI 95 and Vortech won't make an application for it and from what I've heard it's because of the chip. The kit should fit physicaly though without a problem.
If I know what they did as far as chip tuning is concerned, I could replicate that with other methods (i.e. Tweeker/Emanage) and run the kit. Anyone?

#418688 08/23/02 09:21 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Well, Vortech sent me chip number 2, same exact brand and program. Plug it in, car doesn't start, take it out, car starts. BTW, the SVT was started for the first time this morning, in the past 6 weeks.

Now, I call tech support, and demand to talk to a real person, and not get voicemail. Talk to a guy named Jamie, I tell him that Superchips and Diablo chips work fine in the SVT. He gets on the line with some other person(s), and now they are going to get me a custom Superchip.

Back to the start up, now there is a lifter stuck, in the front bank, and the A/C stopped working. The A/C probably leaked out the freon, after not running for that length of time. Hope the lifter unsticks. Anyone have a suggestion as far as additives to get a sticky lifter unstuck?

#418689 08/25/02 10:02 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Chris,

I had the same problems. The Vortech chip comes from Superchips. I have been back to Vortech two times and will be going once more. I have been told, but have not proven it, that you can run without it. But, I do not want to risk blowing my baby up. I am not experiencing any of the failures that others have had. So far so good! I have about 7000 miles on mine.

Jim

98.5 SVT, Vortech SC, Bassani, Quaiffe, Clutchmasters Stg. 3, H&R's/Konis, BAT 22mm Sway Bar, 17" Momo Arrows, Michelin Pilot Sports, Sparco Front Brace, HPP Rear Brace, PIAA fogs & headlights.
#418690 08/26/02 12:12 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Well,

How stuck is it

You might try running an oil designed for diesel truck engines for
a thousand miles or so. More detergents in that, so you might
get a cleaning effect from that.

I'm going to try some Shell 5W40 Rotella Synthetic this winter in
my Buick. I figure I can probably go 10K miles with that stuff and
wont need to change it until spring. I drive about 2500 mi/month
or more in that car. At about $12-$13 for a 1 gallon jug it might be a bargain
synthetic as well. (Of course I don't know how synthetic it is.)
Mobil also makes a 5W40 called Devac 1 for over the road truck
applications.

I've heard the truck engine oils recommended before. Most have
S ratings as well (such as SL or SJ) in addition to the C ratings.

(FWIW, S ratings indicate appropriate for use in spark ignition engines, and C ratings indicate
appropriate for use in compression ignition engines.)

So if you can find a 5W30 or 10W30 (if you are not comfortable with 5W40)
it might be the ticket to cleaning out extra varnish in the engine.

HTH,

TB

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
#418691 08/26/02 11:19 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by JETNBYA:
Chris,

I had the same problems. The Vortech chip comes from Superchips. I have been back to Vortech two times and will be going once more. I have been told, but have not proven it, that you can run without it. But, I do not want to risk blowing my baby up. I am not experiencing any of the failures that others have had. So far so good! I have about 7000 miles on mine.

Jim

Jim, I have also heard from Simon L., that he was also sent a SUperchip. Not sure why they decided to go with this other brand. There are 4 cut wires sticking out of both of the modules. That's really odd. However, I will wait for the Superchip.

Theoretically, with 8 psig of boost, we should be okay without a chip but I too, will not take the chance of running high rpms without it. I didn't have a chance to install a boost gauge of A/F gauge either so more reasons to be careful.

About the sticky lifter, it's tap, tap, tapping away. I will be taking it to the dealer today to check the A/C and to see if they will cover the lifter under warranty too. The A/C has leaked before and being off the road since the second week of July, it is most probable that the dealer never did find the original cause of the A/C leak, and it probably leaked again.

On that note, I get to drive the SVT to the dealer today, sticky lifter and all. At least I get to drive it. It's been a few weeks.

#418692 08/26/02 11:57 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by cawong11:

Jim, I have also heard from Simon L., that he was also sent a SUperchip. Not sure why they decided to go with this other brand.

On that note, I get to drive the SVT to the dealer today, sticky lifter and all. At least I get to drive it. It's been a few weeks.

Can we order the Vortech sans chip? And does every kit come with the aftercooler?

I REALLY want to know how it runs!!

(PS> Any word on the rest of the suspension? My car is SHOT!! )

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard