Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#418675 08/24/02 01:32 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
I had a set of L.E.D side markers from WWW.Sharkracing.com , But I had one stop working after about 15 Hours of run time. That Pi**ed me off, I returned them about 2 months ago and still no word.

'98 Black/Blue CSVT -#162 D.O.B 4/12/97- -----Many MODS-----
#418676 08/24/02 01:36 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Mike you hang out any where? Me and the wife are out alot during the weekend. Maybe we can all get together and do some Parting?

#418677 08/24/02 03:39 AM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Contour98SVT:
Mike you hang out any where? Me and the wife are out alot during the weekend. Maybe we can all get together and do some Parting?

we dont really hang out anywhere. we stay at the inlaws. they live near guilford and spring creek, and their subdivision is called shaw woods. i think i might have saw you last week on east state running around with a bunch of neons and some other cars with big exhausts. heheeeeee

Oo (xxx)oO o xxxxxxxx o
#418678 08/24/02 06:00 AM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
You're right, LED fading is possible. I should have added that I've seen this behavior before on some of the new Nokia phones. Please post how this works, as I'm sure others are interested, or give me a PM. Thanks!

E0 SVT, lightly modded
#418679 08/24/02 08:06 AM
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I am a little bored at work right now, so Here it goes

There are two ways to vary the output of an LED. The main thing you have to remember is that an LED is a Diode. AS such, it is a one-way PN gate umm.. in laymans terms, it only allows current to flow in one direction. Applying current in the other direction has no effect, and in fact, is electrically disconnected.

The point of this is that a LED is a Direct Current Active device. As such, if you simply require a two state mode, IE, full on and 1/2 on, you CAN simply use a resistor and a shottky diode to create a dual voltage to the LED. The advantage of the LED over a light bulb is that the LED draws SIGNIFICANTLY less current, and therefore uses a very small resistor. These resistors can be as small as a grain of sand, and do not get hot or even warm.

The intensity of the LED can be adjusted by simple current limiting (changing resisitor value, or using a small potentiometer).

The second way is a bit more complex, but results in the ability to do TRUE fade in/out, multi color.

This method requires a coule of ICs (Integrated Chips, or 'chips') one would generate a clock, and the other generates a 'Pulse' Uhh, here it gets kinda technical, but I will try to keep it simple..

By changing the shape of the pulse, in this case the width of the pulse, you can 'simulate' any voltage between 0 and full input voltage (12V in this case) How it works exactly is not important, what is important is that the LED (or in this case it would be the resistor network) 'sees' a particular voltage based on the width of the voltage 'pulse'.

This allows you to infinately (not really, but virtually) adjust the voltage to any component, in this case an LED. Thus the intensity varies with the 'seen' voltage. Is everyone batty yet?

The advantage of this system is that with the proper chips, you can FADE LEDs very nicely, and in fact can FADE different LEDs in the same housing to give the APPEARANCE of slowly chaging colors. This is a GREAT effect, and one of my personal favorites.

Now that everyone is clear I would be using the simple method for dual mode side marker lights. The second method is really if you wanted something that is really showy, as it wouldnt be terribly useful as a blinker, but it could cycle color while it is on. So it would be on with the parking light, but could cycle colors.

I hope that cleared it all up.

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
#418680 08/24/02 11:48 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Mike Laskonis:
we dont really hang out anywhere. we stay at the inlaws. they live near guilford and spring creek, and their subdivision is called shaw woods. i think i might have saw you last week on east state running around with a bunch of neons and some other cars with big exhausts. heheeeeee

That was us. We were coming back from a dinner party (Me and the wife not the neons and other cars). We ran into there pack of cars so I wanted to find ut how many of them I could make look stupid?

#418681 08/27/02 05:22 AM
P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
AutoZone is selling replacement LED stop/turnsignal lights.

These come in red or clear. They work by dimming (parking light) and brighting on (turn/stop), no resister needed.

I like them, you can see about 9 red dots when you look at the stoplight from an angle. The turn signals flash rapidly now because the LED lights react faster.

I found a site that is selling EUROPE Ford oval side markers:

http://www.streetbeatonline.com/sidmarlenune.html

I think I might order a couple.

PBSLMO

#418682 09/02/02 04:27 PM
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
Why not use a standard $10 fog light relay? It is safe and can switch on/off between parking/blinking. Just wire blinker wire into relay so it cuts out constant parking power when it is switched.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard