Next Thread
Print Thread
#418553 08/22/02 10:24 PM
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
I just replaced a second cracked rim. Everybody I've asked says they've never heard of this problem on Contours - but I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person it's happened to & it's happened twice.

Just curious...thanks for your time.

Gary

1997 Contour GL, 2.0L, 108K+, Stock
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
I have never heard of wheels cracking on Contours either. How are your wheels cracking? Are they just cracking from regular driving?

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I have hit potholes 1-2 inches deep at 40 mph and never cracked a rim. What happened?

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
I
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I
need more information: where on the rim is the crack, hub or flange area? is this the second rim to crack at the same location on the car (left front for example) or different location. Any other info would help

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
I drive the car about 800 miles a week - all freeway. The first rim cracked at around 65,000 miles (left rear). The second at 108,000 miles (right front). The rims are the "12 hole steel" type. They both cracked in the center section, near but not on one of the 12 holes. Neither rim was cracked on the outer section (the part the tire mounts to) or at the axle stud holes. The car has never been in an accident, has never been raced, and has all stock parts.

The original rim was a 14" x 5". When I purchased the second rim from the dealer, I noticed it was 14" x 5.5". I mentioned it to the parts guy and he said "this is the re-designed rim, much better than the old 14 x 5 style". I asked why the new design and he didn't know. I asked what problems they had with the original design, and he didn't know that either. I checked the first replacement I had to buy - it was also a 14" x 5.5".

I realize cracked rims are very uncommon. It just seems weird that Ford "re-designed" the rim and my keep cracking - but no one elses do.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'm really enjoying this site and look forward to offering any information I can to other Contour owners.

1997 Contour GL, 2.0L, 108K+, Stock
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Sounds like a really good reason to upgrade to bigger, better wheels

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by garyhill:

The original rim was a 14" x 5". When I purchased the second rim from the dealer, I noticed it was 14" x 5.5". I mentioned it to the parts guy and he said "this is the re-designed rim, much better than the old 14 x 5 style". I asked why the new design and he didn't know. I asked what problems they had with the original design, and he didn't know that either. I checked the first replacement I had to buy - it was also a 14" x 5.5".

Wouldn't it unbalance the car if one rim was wider than the others? Or 'cause more wear on the tires at least?

'95 GL White I've got mods.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard