Next Thread
Print Thread
#418184 08/22/02 03:45 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
I am having problems with my K&N filter. My Ford service guy said that the SVT is not set up for a "wet" filter.

About 2-3 months ago my car started dying every time I would shift into neutral before coming to a stop. I took it to the Ford dealership and they said something about my filter being a wet filter and it could be causing it, but then they told me that my IAC sensor valve was bad so they replaced it ($325.00!!). My car seemed to do fine after that until the past two weeks and it started doing the same thing. Only this time if I was at a stop in neutral the RPMs would go way down like its going to die and then they rev back up all the sudden to about 2k RPMs!! I took it back to the dealer and he said that its the filter and now my Mass Air Flow Sensor is going bad!!

Can someone please tell me if the filter has anything to do with it or not? No warranty freakin' sucks!!!

-Amanda- * 1998.5 CSVT Black/blue * Born on 6/11/98 * #6388 of 6535 * Aussie Mesh *Carbon Fiber Dash kit * 17in Velox VX-8's/Hankook Ventus * Brullen Baby!!!! * RVM Intake
#418185 08/22/02 04:06 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Mine had the exact same problem, but it just stopped and never did again. I also have a drop in K&N. Let me know what turns up, and if we can fix it.

'99 Black/Tan SVT #291 of 2760 Tinted Mirko Splitter Pioneer 8400MP & 3-way 6x8's Clear corners Custom SVT banner A-Pillar pod with Volt, Oil Temp & Press. gauges B&M Diamond Blue Fogs White HVAC the99svttour@yahoo.com
#418186 08/22/02 04:09 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by thisgirls98.5SVT:
I am having problems with my K&N filter. My Ford service guy said that the SVT is not set up for a "wet" filter.

About 2-3 months ago my car started dying every time I would shift into neutral before coming to a stop. I took it to the Ford dealership and they said something about my filter being a wet filter and it could be causing it, but then they told me that my IAC sensor valve was bad so they replaced it ($325.00!!). My car seemed to do fine after that until the past two weeks and it started doing the same thing. Only this time if I was at a stop in neutral the RPMs would go way down like its going to die and then they rev back up all the sudden to about 2k RPMs!! I took it back to the dealer and he said that its the filter and now my Mass Air Flow Sensor is going bad!!

Can someone please tell me if the filter has anything to do with it or not? No warranty freakin' sucks!!!

If the filter is over-oiled, it can definitely cause problems. The excess oil makes its way through the intake areas and makes mess!!!!! If oiled properly, you should be able to use it just like any other filter.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
#418187 08/22/02 04:14 PM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Not the filter, people have used K&n's on all kinds of cars for years. I have one in my EFI Mustang for 10 years and no related problems. Sounds like a typical Ford blow off, charge you for a repair that doesn't fix the problem and blame it on the car owner. Are there any other symptoms? Do you have any mods?

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
#418188 08/22/02 04:16 PM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Good point about possible over oiling!

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
#418189 08/22/02 04:30 PM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
That dealer is a rip off. $325 for the IAC? Fella, that's a $60 part (give or take) and a 15 minute job to replace.

Your problem sounds like a dirty MAF to me.

Lots of MAFs (on a variety of Ford cars) used to come back to the factory as warranty returns contaminated with oil on the sensor elements. Rework? Just shoot it with no-residue electronics cleaner, test it (almost always fine, and if it failed it was a seperate cause from the contamination), then sell it as remanufactured. It used to kill the Plant Manager that so many came back that way, because he was measured against warranty returns. And my friend (who was the warranty engineer on the MAF line) used to get it rolling downhill to him.

Bottom line: Be careful about putting too much oil on the filter. The drop-in I used to have came over-oiled from the factory. Got a bunch of gunk on the MAF elements.

If the MAF gets contaminated, spray it off with electronics cleaner (prefered) or brake cleaner (I always seem to use this as I have it handy). Clean and carefully re-oil the filter.

Taking the MAF off is a 5 minute job, so do it yourself. Just shoot the cleaner in the sample hole in the sensor - don't touch the sensor elements or remove the sensor from the housing.

#418190 08/22/02 04:32 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Ed98.5SVT:

If the filter is over-oiled, it can definitely cause problems. The excess oil makes its way through the intake areas and makes mess!!!!! If oiled properly, you should be able to use it just like any other filter.

It doesn't seem to be over oiled. Its brand new (approx. 4 months old). It also a drop-in K&N filter.

No I don't have any other mods as far as performance.

I figured they were trying to feed me a bunch of bull.

I guess I'll never know if my IAC valve was actually bad or not!! Is there something I need to do as far as cleaning the filter?

Thanks guys!

-Amanda- * 1998.5 CSVT Black/blue * Born on 6/11/98 * #6388 of 6535 * Aussie Mesh *Carbon Fiber Dash kit * 17in Velox VX-8's/Hankook Ventus * Brullen Baby!!!! * RVM Intake
#418191 08/22/02 06:28 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I agree with PA 3L. Might also want to double check the hoses and connections leading to/from the 'accordian' tube for leaks.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard