Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
OK, you FI guys might like this. I was following a link that lead to this nice page that talks about the SHO V8. The pistons are apparently dished (as opposed to Duratec domes). Now, remember the 3.4 V8 is essentially the same bore/stroke as the 2.5 with 2 extra cylinders. So I "think" the pistons (rods too) may fit the 2.5L.....If correct, this may be a cheap source of low CR factory pistons. If anybody cares..

http://www.mercurycapri.com/projectrsx/v8sho/shonotes.html

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
wow..i like that other article about the 2.5. both very interesting

AOL AIM: nerdsalot2 05 Mustang GT DropTop 98 ZJ 4.0L Limited
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
If the books are right, the combustion chamber is smaller in the 3.4 V8 to bring the compression up to 10:1. The 2.5 and the SHO V8 share the same bore, stroke, rod length, and piston pin to top of piston measurements though... hummmmmmm... Time to go do some math to compare the 2.5 non SVT 9.7:1 to the 3.4 SHO 10:1...

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
The article from Road & Track says:

"Take the engine, another Ford/Yamaha joint effort that's a marvel of compactness and refinement. The steel-sleeved aluminum powerplant is space efficient out of necessity because, according to product design engineer Ted L. Byers, the V-8 had to be designed to fit the Taurus' V-6-size bay without changing any sheet metal. It's based on the Duratec 2.5-liter V-6 and shares its bore (82.4 mm), stroke (79.5 mm) and bore spacing, as well as its pistons and connecting rods. For extra rigidity, a stressed aluminum oil pan bolts to the underside of a girdle that supports the crankshaft's main bearings and forms the lower part of the block "Everything from the head gaskets down is Ford," beams Byers."

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada

Link Copied to Clipboard