Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LI-SVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
L
At initial braking the front of the car pulls right. It feels like a typical lazy LF caliper. Pads are thick and dusting is pretty even on both sides. Before I replace does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!!

'98.5 SVT E1 T-Red, Midnight Blue All stock
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
My car tends to do the same thing under hard braking...always has.

'98 Silver Frost SVT - #2089/6535 Some intake stuff, exhaust stuff, suspension stuff
L
LI-SVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
L
'till now I was always very happy with the SVT brakes. This just started happening this week. If I mash the pedal hard the car goes straight.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by mcciavarella:
At initial braking the front of the car pulls right. It feels like a typical lazy LF caliper. Pads are thick and dusting is pretty even on both sides. Before I replace does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Do some maintenance on both sides. Remove the calipers and look at the caliper brackets where the pads ride on them. Sometimes these get a groove in them, and dirt builds up. Clean with a file or Dremel tool with a sanding attachment (not a drum, the kind with the flaps hanging off).

Do not apply grease to this area, as it will just collect dirt.

Don't forget to push the caliper piston back, then after you reassemble the brakes push the brake pedal down before starting the car.

Pushing the caliper piston back might be the real fix, but do it all anyway. I did this on the '96 a few months back to fix the same problem.

Two Red Tours! (Oops, No Red Tours!) '03 Subaru Forester X 5-speed '02 SVT Focus - not fast, just fun!
L
LI-SVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Is the groove suposed to be there? If not would a groove warent replacement. Working the piston sounds like a great idea, it may free up.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by mcciavarella:
Is the groove suposed to be there? If not would a groove warent replacement. Working the piston sounds like a great idea, it may free up.

I wouldn't replace it if there's a groove, just file it even. Maybe after a few times of doing this there would be slop from too much wear and you'd replace.

Two Red Tours! (Oops, No Red Tours!) '03 Subaru Forester X 5-speed '02 SVT Focus - not fast, just fun!
L
LI-SVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Thank you for advice. Will do the work this week end and re-post to let you know how it worked out.

MCC

L
LI-SVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
L
Performed work as above. Filed the grooves, cleaned everything including guide pins. No change. Car still pulls right on highway under moderate braking. The only thing Ican add is this happened ever since a really rainy day. It's suposed to rain today, maby it will fix itself!?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard