Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
My wife's 98 Mystique (Zetec, ATX), is making a knocking noise when she has the A/C on and the engine is cold.. and it squeaks pretty bad when she puts it into gear. Any ideas on this one? 81k on the clock, everything under the hood is original (except for fluids ) TIA

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Do you know where the sound is coming from? Is it coming from the serpentine belt area (specifically the air conditioner pulley)?

If so, then it might be that either the pulley has some play in it (hence the knocking) or the belt is loose (hence the squeeking).

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by GeoPappas:
Do you know where the sound is coming from? Is it coming from the serpentine belt area (specifically the air conditioner pulley)?

If so, then it might be that either the pulley has some play in it (hence the knocking) or the belt is loose (hence the squeeking).

Seems like it's from that area, and I was figuring the pulley probably has some play or a mount is loose, but not sure how detrimental the play is... I am not too sure how much longer we may keep it

She called me out of the shower this morning to hear this, so I popped the hood to listen real quick (and make sure it wasn't something worse, like a knock thanks to no oil or something )... didn't get to spend more than a minute looking at it... so I will have to take a longer look this weekend.

N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
But one other thing bugs me about the knock... why would it do it only when the engine is cold if the pulley has play in it?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard