Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mike22B Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I noticed this perhaps 2 months after I got my 99 duratec. At the time I was using 87 octane. I can't really describe the sound but when I get on it in high RPM's it sounds like a tapping, not very loud but noticeable. I took it to my dealer, they suspected pinging but they came back and said they didn't hear anything. Fed up I just started using 93. The sound greatly improved but is still there. I've been dealing with this for a while and would like to get it fixed. Itâ??s really annoying, I find myself worrying about it every time I feel like enjoying its Duratec goodness. I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!!!

O
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
O
typical pinging problem. One of 2 things will help, or both. Do a UIM and LIM cleaning, along with injector seal replacement, also your cats might be clogged. Check on the main page for the Intake manifold/injector seal process. That should get rid of that.

95 MIDNIGHT RED MTX 2.5L SE TOUR
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
ok first of all what in the heck is the uim and lim. i have no idea. anyway when my engine did that right at the 4k rpm mark 1 month later my engine blew. crank was starved of oil and threw a rod. i was told to run it a quart high

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Upper Intake Manifold (UIM), Lower Intake Manifold (LIM).
Fairly straightforward cleaning process...very cheap...but lots of time. It's on my list of things to do too.

You are doing the right thing by running more oil than the manual says.

'98 SVT KKM / TH fix / Mobil 1 / Synth tranny cocktail / JVC LX-30 HU / 10 JL sub / Alpine V12 amp / Panther 199 wheels / Kuhmo Ecsta 215/45/17 / Bosch +4 / Ford Motorsport wires
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Oh, the UIM is the very top of the engine. The intake attaches to it. There are no stupid questions, grasshopper.

'98 SVT KKM / TH fix / Mobil 1 / Synth tranny cocktail / JVC LX-30 HU / 10 JL sub / Alpine V12 amp / Panther 199 wheels / Kuhmo Ecsta 215/45/17 / Bosch +4 / Ford Motorsport wires

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard