Next Thread
Print Thread
#417590 08/21/02 07:27 PM
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
I have an occasional problem when shifting my 2000 SVT. 95% of the time everything is fine. But once in a while a problem will occur when trying to shift into second, fourth or reverse. It feels as though the linkage is screwed up, but I don't know why it works most of the time. It is most noticable and easiest to describe when it happens trying to get into reverse. It behaves as though the linkage is merely out of adjustment. I shift down to reverse pulling the lever back as far as it can go but it doesn't quite engage the gear. It makes the lightest contact so that grinds, but won't engage. It doesn't matter how hard I try, it won't go back far enough to engage the gear. The only way to get it to engage is to put it into first, creep forward an inch or two and then try it again. Then it goes into reverse perfectly normally. It never has any trouble with the top 3 gears (1, 3 & 5).

Has anyone had any experiences like this?
Any thoughts?

Thanks

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Anyone...Anyone...Bueller...Anyone?

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
I would remove the shift knob/boot and make sure everything in view is on tight (bolts, etc) and there is no junk anywhere like broken plastic.

I'd love to help but I don't have any knowledge about the shifting components. That's the best I got.

-Giovanni One turbocharger. Two intercoolers. All love.
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
this is probably the biggest/most common/most annoying thing about these cars. The only "true" fix to the problem is getting a new shifter tower assembly from the UK.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Thanks.

Sounds like this isn't an internal problem, which is a relief. Where can I find more info on a UK shifter tower?

Thanks again

duc1

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Not so, the post 2000 shifter tower can be had at any Ford US dealer or , even better, the MTX75 tower on the current Focus, it has larger 'ball ends' Vs 'pin type'.Change the tower and get the latest ends for the cables.We can supply all you need.Towers are 'discounted ' from the $300+ Ford price...

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard