Next Thread
Print Thread
#417134 08/21/02 07:13 AM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
How long can i drive on a broken water pump cuz i believe mine broke today and i think i've driven on it for about 5 miles?
will that affect the engine in any way?

Last edited by Chi-TowNSVT; 08/21/02 07:14 AM.

E0 T-Red SVT '98 S\/T K.I.A 6/14/02 AIM: p0lskipimp
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
STOP DRIVING IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Seriously, you will end up replacing the whole engine if you drive it without a water pump.

BTW, I suggest you replace it with the metal impeller version, if you need to know how to get it, ask around, i think everyone knows!

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I agree, do not drive the car anymore!

The water pump is used to move water around the engine to cool it down.

If the water pump stops working, then the engine has no way to cool down and can eventually seize (metal melting w/ metal). Not a good thing!

If you have AAA, or a towing option on your insurance, then this is the time to use it (unless you plan on doing the work yourself).

It might be possible to drive a short distance (like to a mechanic), but that is a risk that you will have to assess yourself. If you do, then put the heat on high (this will remove some of the heat from the engine), and watch the temperature gauge. If the temperature goes into the red zone, then pull over and let it cool down.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard