Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Yesterday, I noticed a strange noise coming from somewhere in the left front of the car (95 SE MTX V6, 74k miles). Noise is pretty constant as long as the car is moving. It goes away when I turn the wheel to the right but stays when going straight or left.

The groan is something slightly louder than the engine's rumble. At first I thought it WAS the engine, but then I realized the noise is still there even with foot off gas, car rolling at speed in neutral, etc.

Any ideas? As far as I know, all the suspension/steering/etc. components are original. Car has 74k miles now, and I bought it at 50k. I'm currently trying to sell it, so I'd like to get this problem squared away.

Thanks in advance.

Jason current 95 Contour SE (V6) MTX owner former 96 Mystique LS V6/MTX owner
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
anybody?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Sounds like your right front wheel bearing is wearing out.

I just had mine replaced under warranty at around 54,000 miles. The noise started out quite faint - I thought it was just tire noise at first - but within about 2,000 miles, it was so incredibly loud that you couldn't have a normal conversation inside the cabin.

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine.

1998 E1 SVT - Toreador Red Production #4794 of 6535 Build date: 2/25/1998
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
thanks for the reply. I'm hearing the problem from the left side of the front end. That would mean left front bearing, NOT right front-- correct? Just clarifying since your post said 'right front bearing.'

Did you note what the charge was for the repair? Sometimes that info is included on the paperwork, even though the warranty picks up the tab.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
If it gets louder as you turn the wheel to one side and quiter to the other, that will help you decide which bearing. Bad news...bearing is about $80 (NAPA) and Ford charged me about $180 to replace it (at 48,000 miles on my SVT). Good news...all better for another 40,000 miles. Its a pressed in unit, so unless you have access to heavy tools and some experience, I'd find a shop. My $.02

But yeah...its the bearing for sure. Remember running over any old ladies?

B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
noise stays loud when turning steering wheel left (same as straight ahead, from what I can tell) and gets quieter when turning wheel right. So which bearing is the problem - left or right?

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
If it gets louder/worse when you turn left, then it's probably the right wheel bearing. (More weight shifts to the right side) If you plan on doing it yourself, I got the bearing for around $45 at Napa and had it pressed for $40 at the same store. (Call around, as only a few Napas have machine shop service) Advance also sells the bearing.

My last noise like this turned out to be the left axle shaft, but I replaced the right bearing first, because it got louder when turning left. These noises can be a beeatch to nail down. I now have new L & R wheel bearings, new left axle shaft, and new ball joints. (what the heck...)

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Bluedevils:
and gets quieter when turning wheel right. So which bearing is the problem - left or right?

I believe that it is your right front wheel bearing, although the mechanic will very likely take the car for a short drive before starting repairs, so as to ascertain which side is the problem.

I don't remember how much it cost me to repair mine - I only had to pay a $50 deductible under the terms of my Ford ESP extended warranty.

1998 E1 SVT - Toreador Red Production #4794 of 6535 Build date: 2/25/1998
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
I'll bet my SVT (well, not really ) that it is the right wheel bearing. You see, the reason you hear it when you are turning left is that there is more weight and therefore more pressure being put on that particular wheel. I bet you hear almost nothing when you turn right and hear little noise when travelling straight. Not a biggie, just take care of it ASAP or more zhit can go wrong... BTW, had both of my front bearings replaced within 3k miles of each other... Same symptoms too.

B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Thanks for the help.

So what's a reasonable quote from a shop to replace a front wheel bearing - 250 bucks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard